Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: BOAT AUCTION - Date Set

BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 11 years 1 week ago #84378

Well, I am sure many of you have been wondering what has happened to the big boat and outboard motor auction. We finally have set a date, and fare getting the final preparations in place.

November 16, 2013. We will have a preview day on Friday (11-15) and the auction on Saturday.

Final count of the boats to be sold is 58. The number of complete motors is 300+, and a lot of parts motors, boat hardware, gas tanks, and marine related items.

Had a long meeting with the auction staff today, and they will be working on posting the catalog items to their web site. I will update you on that later with a link. They will have information on hotel discounts, RV parking, and other information related to the actual auction.

I knew I was in for a lot of work, but it developed even further beyond anything I could imagine. What an experience, and I am happy to see the end coming. I think I have come to know each of the boats personally, with all the paperwork, certified mailings, and constant mowing around them every couple of weeks.

I am looking forward tothe auction and meeting many of you.

The address is 1182 US Highway 281, Wichita Falls, TX. If you look this address up on Google maps. you will see a satellite view taken somewhere around February 2013.

Terry York
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 11 years 1 week ago #84396

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
GOOD LUCK, This should be a bench mark in our hobby topic.. Keep
the pics coming. I believe there was a Glasspar Phaeton in this
collection.. That would be the one High Cotton item for me , if there is Internet bidding. ? Watching Barrett - Jackson this weekend.

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 11 years 1 week ago #84472

The auction service has started posting some pictures on their web site.
You can check them out here:
www.choateauction.com/Boat_Sale.php

The Google coordinates for the sale location are 33.820065, -98.484441
Standard GPS coordinates are N 33 49.204 W 98 29.066

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 11 years 1 week ago #84498

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I can imagine it's been a long row to hoe Terry, but it looks like the big event is just around the corner. Good luck with it, I hope everything goes well. ;)

Mark

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 11 months ago #85268

Well, I guess we are on the home stretch with only a few weeks before the big auction. I haven't been able to be at the shop for the last two weeks, but will be back there starting this Friday 10-25. I hope to have an update from the auction crew on the status of the catalog.

I have attached 2 files, one is a basic auction flyer and the other is a map of Wichita Falls showing some hotel locations and some retail stores. The auction company is working on some discount rates with some hotels.

If you have any questions about boats or motors, I will try my best to answer them. The boats and motors are fairly organized, but we still need to spread out all the control and steering cables, gas tanks, bow lights and hardware, plus the gas tanks.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Terry

File Attachment:

File Name: AUCTION_Flyer.pdf
File Size:577 KB
Attachments:

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 11 months ago #85269

Looks like I could only attach one file at a time. Here is the map with the auction location and some hotels in Wichita Falls.

File Attachment:

File Name: Norman_Yor..._Map.pdf
File Size:497 KB
Attachments:

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 11 months ago #85619

COMPLETE CATALOG OF BOATS AND OUTBOARD MOTORS IS AVAILABLE

The auction web site has posted the catalog and more pictures of the boats and outboard motors. I also forgot to mention before that we also have two Mercury chain saws built in 1943 for the US Army.

Belwo are links to the auction site and an updated YouTube video. I have attached the catalog, and you can also download it and and absentee bid form from the web site.

Preview on Friday November 15, and Auction starts Saturday morning at 9:00am. You can also preview things early Saturday morning. Concessions will be available.

www.choateauction.com/Boat___Motor_Auction_Catalo.php

File Attachment:

File Name: Boat_AUCTI...ALOG.pdf
File Size:60 KB
Attachments:

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 11 months ago #85730

I had trouble with the video link, maybe this would work well for some folks:

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 11 months ago #85811

Thanks for fixing the video link.
Just returned from 3 days at the shop and have all the boats lined up now.

I actually discovered that one of the Feather Craft boats is the gold anodized hull. Someone painted it and now all the paint is peeling off.

Just 12 more days till boat and outboard Christmas for everyone.

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 11 months ago #85835

Nice - jealous, but don't even have room for the boats I have, so probably good that it is so far away!

good luck t all going - hope you are all succesful!

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 11 months ago #85841

Who ever gets to go report back to all of us and let us know what you thought I wish I could go too

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 11 months ago #85884

mrutko3475 wrote:

Who ever gets to go report back to all of us and let us know what you thought I wish I could go too

Yep! W/ pix too please........

I had hopes of making a trek from WV thru Oklahoma City, down thru Witchia for the auction, then continue on my way to Las Vegas, JUST to be there for the auction & check out the OB's.....

Can't free up 9 or 10 days so can't make the trip. My Admiral was very pleased I wouldn't be attending your auction.

Best of luck, I hope it all goes like gang-busters.

Your dad's collection will make many many boat geeks very happy happy happy................

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86236

Hello Everyone,

Everything is looking great for this weekend. We arrived yesterday and are staying on-site for the rest of the week. The auction guys have sorted a lot of the accessories and got them boxed up. My wife and I worked last night going through the paperwork for the titles, bill of sales, and everything needed to either transfer or obtain titles for the boats and motors.

The weather this morning is cold, as most of the US got hit by this cold front. But, the forecast for Saturday is 70 with a slight chance of scattered showers. Not much chance of any rain though sine this area is in a drought and stage 4 water restrictions. Not a good place for boats right now.

The auctioneer has decided to have an alternative plan if we need more time. Still the plan is to do all the cataloged items before starting on the other items. We expect to get everything sold on Saturday, but if we need more time for things people want, we can start up again on Sunday at 10am if needed. A local fire department will have concessions available all day Saturday.

If you need to pick up things on Sunday and Monday, I will be here through Monday getting things a little cleaned up. Since I am staying on-site, you can come at anytime.

Just 5 more days till the fun begins. Or, I guess I will see some of you on Friday for the start of the preview and early registration.

I attached one picture of some of the items that are sorted and put outside for now.

I will have plenty of pics with an update after the sale. It may take me a little while since I need a little rest from all this.

See you soon,
Terry
Attachments:

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86362

Auction day is finally here. Met a lot of nice people so far. The local NBC station did a grest story yesterday. Let"s get ready to auction.

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86402

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86406

I hope it was a gigantic success! Wish I could have attended.

Thanks again for sharing his collection

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86422

Teriyaki,
Hope the sale went well for you! My dad and I attended and had a great time. Our final count was 17 motors. My arms are sore!
Jim

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86429

jimp,

WELCOME ABOARD.

Just 17? = The three of us must have bought 50+.
(CHUCKLE)

Fyi, I got home at about 10PM.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86433

Well, my first time back on here since the sale. Still going at it to help people get packed up. Today is my final day and I will head home tonight. I will post a few pictures later after I have recovered and gotten a little sleep. I think everyone got some goodies and are happy. I know I am glad to see everything going to those who can appreciate it and I think this sale created a few new local collectors.

Terry

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86445

SATX,
Thanks for the welcome! I had to laugh when I logged in...I created an account 3 years ago but that was my first post. I lurk a lot...just hadn't posted yet.

You may remember us - I was with my dad, who was the guy on the 4 wheeler all day.

It sounds like you scored as well! We were exhausted by about 4:00, so we loaded up and headed home to Lubbock.
Jim

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86452

jimp; ALL,

I talked to your dad but I don't think that I actually met you.

Note: As a result of "dragging motors" all afternoon (and using muscles that I don't usually use!), I hurt today from scalp to toes.

Note to ALL: In the future, I suggest that "members of the forum" wear tags with "screen-names" or fiberglassics.com ball-caps or ????, so that we will recognize each other.
(There were SEVERAL of us there.= "frog" for just ONE great/longtime member, who I would have liked to have talked to.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86475

Well I took home a 16 foot trailer full and a friend took home a 10 foot trailer and the back of his truck full. My problem is I have to go back and pick the other 1/2 (another trailer full)

I some how left a motor stand and am hoping it will still be there when I get back. There are 2 boats of mine there yet also. Having to take the Girlfriend out to a nice restaurant because of all the motors I am dragging home.

I will say that the auction went well with very few mix ups. Great people!

he only problem I have had is that someone took a Wizard motor I bought for less than $10 and some how a Lightwin got mixed up (2 just alike) On the twins the other buyer and I are meeting when I go back up for the other trailer load, to trade

Bidder # 44

BTW all the face plates in the photo above...they came home with me

CAVU

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86478

Allan,

Glad you got some great items, especially all the Yellow Jacket's. If the stand you left was an Evinrude stand, I put it in the office for safe keeping. It did not have a bidder number on it.

I will be back there again next weekend and will help you gather your remaining stuff, or you can teach you energetic do to fetch those remaining items.

We loaded out a lot more boats and motors on Monday and the place is looking a little bare. Also made it to the local Texas Parks and Wildlife office to drop off a few gifts to that crew that has helped a lot also.

Back at my real job after the week off, and have a lot of catching up to do.

I didn't have a lot of time to meet with a lot of people during the auction and had hoped to take more pictures, but I had too much going on. Also had to spend some time with the Sheriff after a few complaints of people parking too close to the highway. But, he was a ice guy and got to tell him some long stories about Dad and his collection, so he just hung around and wanted to look at those old motors.

Thanks to everyone who came and hope you all had a good time.
Terry

TallTexan wrote:

Well I took home a 16 foot trailer full and a friend took home a 10 foot trailer and the back of his truck full. My problem is I have to go back and pick the other 1/2 (another trailer full)

I some how left a motor stand and am hoping it will still be there when I get back. There are 2 boats of mine there yet also. Having to take the Girlfriend out to a nice restaurant because of all the motors I am dragging home.

I will say that the auction went well with very few mix ups. Great people!

he only problem I have had is that someone took a Wizard motor I bought for less than $10 and some how a Lightwin got mixed up (2 just alike) On the twins the other buyer and I are meeting when I go back up for the other trailer load, to trade

Bidder # 44

BTW all the face plates in the photo above...they came home with me

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86484

Teriyaki,

As a person who was present, I must say that everyone (who I met) on the "staff" were helpful, competent and polite.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86486

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sounds like you did your Dad proud, and made a lot of folks happy in the process Terry. Good on ya' !

Mark

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86490

Terry
Thanks. I am short of upset that the Yellow Jackets went so cheap, They do need a lot of work, however all in time. I think that they all being glassed over scared people.

Well the group will soon be scraping and sanding as soon as I build a trailer for them to be worked on.

The site I was telling you about is

www.yellowjacketboats.com/

Got to read more and it will open a flag.
The boat on the trailer is the same make and model as the one in the photo...I hope to get it back like it was

heralddemocrat.com/sections/opinion/local-commentary/recreation-yellow-jacket-boat-trip-planned-2016.html

Allan

CAVU

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86520

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I would like to thanks Terry for all the work,,Larry Mckay for doing my Bidding and Gene Guenden for getting this thing closer to Home,This is the only one I bought,,I did bid on another but was second,, Thanks again,it will end up on my lift and be in uses next spring,,Bill
Attachments:

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86549

How much did the yellow jackets go for?

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86592

$75, $25, and $10

CAVU

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86604

That is...INSANE. I would have bid much higher, but with only one poor picture of each boat, I could not tell anything about them, so no proxy bidding for me. This is what I thought would happen.
Great for you, though, how are they, and do you have any pictures?

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86615

NUMEROUS buyers got a GREAT deal. = TallTexan for just ONE.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86676

I have caught up on my sleep and drove back to Wichita Falls last night. Supposed to be a few people here this weekend to pick up the remaining boats and a few other items. Not sure if they will make it here, as we had an ice storm Friday. Had to chip the ice off the locks and the door of my travel trailer to get in last night.

Just drinking coffee and looking out at the ice this morning. I will work on a post auction report and post later this weekend, since I probably will not get much done outside.

If any of you who bought boats are interested in any of my early pictures, just let me know. I have pics of more than half of the boats when I first found them in grown up weeds or a few in the packed buildings.

Thanks again to everyone who made it to the sale. I know most everyone got some great bargains and seemed to be happy with the purchases.

Terry

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86679

• Larry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
THANK YOU Terry, for giving all who attended the opportunity to acquire some very sought after classic motors, boats, and parts.
It was great meeting many in the Glassics Community who attended the Auction.
We purchased 11 outboards, including a beautiful 62'/63' Merc 1000, 3- Mark 75's and 3- Mark 78's.
We love the little 9'-9" so called Brydon Boy ??? Boat that we purchased.
All are now back home, safe, in California.

Thanks again,

Larry & Jody
Vintage Boatworks
Bakersfield, California
Attachments:

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86693

Here is my too long post auction report. The attached pdf file is much better to read, as it has a few pics included. I always prefer stories with pictures.

November 16 – Auction Day
Woke up at 5:30 am and had some coffee and quick bite. Got the gates open at 6am, and a few people started showing up just before sunrise at 7:15am. Mother nature shed a few tears and a little rain fell for about 30 minutes. But that resulted in a wonderful rainbow, that turned into a double rainbow. Starting at the anchor sign, and ending just over one of the Yellow Jackets.

The temperature quickly started rising as we hit 84 degrees for the day. The auctioneer started on time at 9am with a few smaller non-catalog items. After about 45 minutes, we moved to the outboard motors and things went pretty fast. Probably averaging about 30 seconds to no more than 1 minute per motor.

We had a little problem with the Sheriff and people parking on both sides of the highway, instead of the parking areas we had at the two adjacent properties. But, after talking with the Sheriff for about 30 minutes and showing him some of the more interesting items, he seemed to enjoy the old motors and stuck around for a while watching things sell.

At 1pm the auctioneer stopped with the cataloged motors inside one of the buildings, and moved to the boats. The boats took a little more time, but were completed in less than an hour. Some great bargains were had on the boats and people were on cell phones calling their buddies about boats they might be interested in. Several boats were purchased after those calls and people had to load up their trailers and head to Wichita Falls to pick up their absentee purchases.

The cataloged motor selling resumed and then went into the items laid out in groups, such as the gas tanks, control cables, steering wheels, parts motors, etc. I missed a lot of this, as my best friend from high school showed up, and we talked for several hours.

When I found my way back to the selling, it was starting to get dark and the big light was on. They did not go much longer as people were trying to pack up their goodies. I helped a few people pack things using my motor mover to pick up some of the heavy motors.

We had an incident out in the back where it was dark. I was helping a gentlemen from Colorado load some big motors. He went around his trailer to the other side, and in the dark did not see that his ramps were down. He tripped and fell, and seemed pretty shook up. I got him some water, but he said he would be OK. He then drove to the front to pick up another big motor, and that is when he told me he felt his wrist was broken. He said he would be OK, after I got his motor loaded and he headed out into the night. Hope he made it home OK, and maybe it was just a severe sprain.

The last person left out around 8pm, and it took me about 45 minutes to get the buildings closed up and the gates locked. Finally a chance to get a bite to eat, so I had a big bowl of chili my wife had made, then off to bed.

November 17 – Sunday

I got the gates opened around 7am Sunday morning. Funny thing happened when a guy drove up and asked if he could look around. I asked if he needed to pick up his stuff, but he said he was here for the auction. He got a little upset when I told it was yesterday and everything was already sold. I could not keep from laughing when he tried to tear out spinning ties in his Ford Focus.

People started arriving about 7:45 and quickly started loading up their trailers. I helped Larry and Jody from California load those 11 big motors they bought in the big shop, and it pretty much filled their flatbed trailer. They also got the little red and white Brydon Boy boat, and I know Jody wanted that yellow Water Ventures to turn into a spa.

A few people bought a lot of motors. I talked to several that bought more than 30 motors. I spotted this guy pulling out from the main shops back door, with what looked like about 50 motors with lower units pointed up, on a flatbed trailer.

Kevin got his big finned boat with the three port holes, and a couple of Tee Nee trailers. He ended up with a bigger haul than expected, so I had to get the torch and cut off a fender and some of the trailer frame to keep his tires from rubbing. He ended up leaving a couple of motors that he had no space for his trip back to Illinois.

Allan got one of his Yellow Jackets and loaded down his trailer for the drive back to Richmond in South Texas. Talked to Allan quite a bit about the 60th anniversary trip from Dennison to New Orleans in 2016. I think he has talked me into going. He said he would let me Captain a boat for a while. Sounds like a good time with some great people.

A guy from Dallas came with a U-Haul trailer to pick up his Century Palomino that his buddy had bought for him on Saturday. It was obvious his was a big Century collector as he was wearing a Century shirt and belt, and some Sperry Topsiders.

The backup auctioneer, Billy, was the last guy to leave on Sunday, He bought a Texas Maid Oprey, and we had to do a little work to get a tire changed out and the bead seated to hold air long enough for his short 30 minute drive home. I got to lock the gates around 6:30, and tried to watch Sunday night football, but fell asleep.

November 18 – Monday

The first guy in was Gene from Missouri, with a huge trailer. He wasn’t at the sale, but a Larry had bought a boat and motor for him, and Gene was also picking up the Sportsman “Sled Boat” for another person who was not at the sale. In the process of loading these two boats and a big 4 cylinder Merc, he mentioned that he should have come and was looking for an old boat for his wife to use as a planter for flowers. He was in luck, as I had let Kevin leave a Lone Star Constellation, and that is exactly what Gene wanted. I told him it was free, and we got it loaded up.

A few local guys were loading up a few boats and a lot of gas tanks. An older gentleman from Ft. Worth had been working almost all day to try and get some old tires mounted on some wheels to pull one of his Feather Carft boats home, but he had a lot of problems. Finally at 6pm, we gave up on trying to get the final tire to hold air, and he left without his boat, and I locked the gates to make the 2 hour drive back home.

November 23 – Saturday

After a few days at my real job, I finally had recovered from the auction and got some sleep. ON the drive Friday night, from the DFW area to Wichita Falls, the roads slowly got worse, and about 40 miles out, started seeing ice. I had to chip ice off the gate locks, and then all around the door on my travel trailer to get into it for the night. I was planning to go into town to stay in the house, but was afraid I would not be able to make it back out if more ice fell on the roads. So I got the heat turned on in the trailer, and in about an hour, finally had the temp to 58, from the starting point of 32.

I stayed inside Saturday morning until about 9am, just drinking coffee and watching the cars go down the highway. I walked through the back to see what boats were left, and some were packed and ready to go, but covered in ice. After getting the gates opened, I moved one of Allan’s Yellow Jackets up to the front and inside the big building. The pipe on the tongue of the trailer was loose, so I put a few welds on it to make sure it was safe to pull.

Allan and Antony arrived around 11am, and we started working on loading his remaining stuff. Still ice on everything, but the temp had improved to about 37.

We got the one Yellow Jacket flipped over and loaded on top of the other, and then Allan strapped it down. Loading them onto his flatbed went pretty smooth. After loading all those cables and controls, and a few motors and gas tanks, I think they pulled out around 1:30pm.

Just one other local guy came to pick up his Feather Craft, and a Grumman canoe. I think we still have four boats that need to be picked up, and maybe 4 or 5 motors. Hopefully they will be here tomorrow, because I am planning to relax for the holidays, since I worked last year through Thanksgiving and part of Christmas preparing things for auction.

Everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas. I guess many of you already had a Merry boat and motor Christmas.
Terry

File Attachment:

File Name: Post_Aucti...port.pdf
File Size:349 KB
Attachments:

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86698

Teriyaki,

SUPER REPORT!!

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86699

If any of you haven't met Terry, he's a heck of a nice guy. I talked to him a while about what all he had to do, going from his father's death to the auction day. He must have spent all his non-working hours working on this. Between cleaning up the place, sorting, getting titles tracked down, building stands for motors and all the other things that were required, I don't know how he did it. But I thank him greatly for his efforts.

And he was still going strong when I got there Monday.

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86700

Excellent to hear it went as smooth & event free as it sounds. Nice job on the detailed report.

Congrats!

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86722

I want to Thank Terry for all the help getting the boats loaded. The more I look at the 58 (white) Yellow Jacket the more I think I can save her. Well I am going to try. We got to Ft Worth I remember that we did not load that Merc parts motor...Oh well my mistake and I was not going to turn around and maybe get stuck in iceing conditions (reason for being born on the Gulf Coast)

We made it home around Midnight. I let Anthony out to go home and being so tire I could not see fighting to get Terri out (she has hydrocephalus and has lost her ability to walk) so slept in the RV right in front of the house.

I have to go to work early (I no longer own the businesses, they own me) however I am making the list for the labors to do as they come to work.

Now we all heard the story of Great finds at the last moment. Well I did the same Sat.
Going through the shed of cables I had move all but a pile in the far corner The Very bottom of the pile of cables I found a wiring harness for a 1957 fast twin and a dash plate plate with a good (GREAT) medallion

All to total I bought 42 motor (Many just parts motors) 3 boats, and many odds and ends.

I think the trailer that Terry is talking about with the motors on their head was John S. We help each other all the time. Those were the parts motors. In back of the truck he had the good motors He had I think he said was 26 on the trailer and in the truck (beside the ones I had loaded on my trailer to drop by his place on the way home)

CAVU

Re:BOAT AUCTION - Date Set 10 years 10 months ago #86736

To ALL:

IF you didn't meet TT & his gracious lady, you MISSED OUT. = SUPER couple.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle