Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17'

Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 months ago #66521

This is my first post on this forum and I wanted to introduce my recent acquisition to the community. This is a 1962 Flying Scott 17' that I recently purchased. It has the original trailer and engine and has all the parts and pieces needed. My plans are to pull the outboard off and have it refurbished by a local vintage motor shop (does anyone know of any?) and take the interior in to get redone along with the deck vinyl.
I am not going to go with a "total" restoration on this because the wife cannot stand the turquoise so it will probably be more of a slate blue vinyl.
Here are the pics. Thanks for the great site.
Tyson

I have the lower unit in the garage.

Trailer tag.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 months ago #66522

More pics...

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 months ago #66528

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Tyson, glad to have you join us. We have several members here who are familiar with the Flying Scott boats. You can do a "forum search" and find some excellent examples of what they looked like originally, great styling IMHO. Also some pretty good info in the FG Library; www.fiberglassics.com/library/Scott

Mark

Re: Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 months ago #66537

Flyingscott1962,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
(i've never seen one rigs of those in person. - is the trailer also "badged" as a Scott?)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 months ago #66567

satx78247 wrote:

Flyingscott1962,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
(i've never seen one rigs of those in person. - is the trailer also "badged" as a Scott?)

yours, satx

It is, there is the manufacturer label plate and also the remains of an old Flying Scott logo along side of the trailer. If I look hard enough through the surface rust I can even make out the original blue and white paint.

Tyson

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 months ago #66596

Welcome aboard and what a great project!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 months ago #66612

That's one cool boat you got there.

It's hard to beat three of a kind. :laugh:

Scott boat, motor,and trailer.

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 months ago #66614

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
That is a very cool setup. Keep posting as you restore it.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 months ago #66625

I've got one out of three. '59 60hp Flying Scott. Would love to have the boat. Never knew about the trailer. Bob McCulloch had the styling down cold!

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #66660

So the first guy I called about giving my motor a once over tells me he doesn't want to touch it. His ad even says vintage motors are his specialty. He wouldn't even clean the carbs and Tune it up. I guess I will just do it myself...

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #66808

I agree why pay someone if you have the ability to do it. Nice looking boat by the way.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #66810

Unless the carbs are something very weird, NAPA or other auto parts should have rebuild kits and floats for them. Get a number off it, or remove one and take it in. Get somebody that knows more than just looking in a computer for something too...

If you want, post what you find here and I'll check into it for you. I used to work for NAPA, and it's amazing the stuff you can get for old outboards from them.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #66843

I got the same response from a mechanic here in S.W. Mo. Said he did not want to touch my '61 Royal Scott. Said he would charge $300 + for rebuilding carbs. He was willing to sell me a '70's era Rude for $1500. I'm glad with help here I can do my own work. BTW I posted pics you all asked for in my post "Manufacturer of my boat".

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #67433

Thanks for all the great comments. I have started to strip down the deck and interior in preparation of a new interior. In the evening I have been tinkering with the engine in the garage. It seems to be in real great shape, the carbs are fairly clean and gunk free and the plugs look to be in great shape. My plans are to just clean the carbs and install new gaskets, get a few tune up parts and pieces, and take the starter to a specialty shop to evaluate. After all that I will clean and paint then hook it all back up. See the pics below...
Tyson

Dis-assembly has begun!

Built the stand with about 30 bucks worth of materials. It is as sturdy as can be.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #67437

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Welcome to the forum. IMHO I think you have one incredibly cool setup here. Alot of people go to great lengths to get their boats and trailers "period" correct. Some people go even further to get all of the components (i.e. boat, motor, trailer) from the same year of manufacture. But man-o-man, to get it all made by the same manufacturer!! Wow! If it were me I,d be thinking mint all the way, even if it means turquoise seats. Andreas may chime in here and tell you maybe some even better news about your setup. Keep posting pix.
shipster

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #67807

Got some work done on the tri-carbs yesterday. I took them apart and cleaned the needle, springs, bowl and float. Also gave the outsides a nice cleaning. They were in really good shape, just a little crud in the bowl.

Before:

After:

Original air cover that I am going to clean up and replace the sticker on.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #67918

Hello, I just found this forum, when I was looking for info on a 17' Flying Scott that I just picked up.Thanks for posting all those pics. I used them to idenify some of the parts on mine.Ithink mine is a 62 as well, but the paperwork reads 1964. I can only see part of the ID tag, as someonehas done some real fine glass work to the transom. What I ca see reads 17A , 61030. Later Pat

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #67924

Someone will for sure correct me if im wrong but i believe they were only made 61-63. The 61's were probably in limited number you can recognize them from the one piece folding front hatch (as opposed to the split one). I bet 63's were limited numbers also because the line was coming to an end.

You should start a seperate thread and post the pics up on there.

Tyson

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #67927

Tyson,

Here is a great place to get parts for your Flying Scott motor. Don Webb, "The Scott Guy" has helped me with lots of stuff, including carb re-build kits. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I have a 60hp parts motor that may have many interchangeable parts with your '75. Let me know and I'll check what's left on mine. It took a bit of work and tweaking, but my Flying Scott motor turns heads where ever I take her and she's never let me down.

John

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #67929

Thanks John I will contact him. Right now the only item that appears to need replacing is the belt. If the starter and alternator check out fine I should be good to go. The plugs and wires I can get easily. I check the cooling and bailer impellers and both seem in good shape, although I am not 100% sure what good shape is supposed to look like. The are somewhat soft and have a little flex in the rubber blades, which is what I believe they are supposed to have. Will post more pics soon.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #67934

Don has the belts and impellers. Keep us posted.

Don't know if you have checked into his history yet, but Robert McCulloch was quite the visionary. He founded Fountain Hills and Havasu City in Arizona. He brought the London Bridge to Arizona and developed a pretty cool flying car he thought would end up in everyone's driveway. Problem was...the driveways weren't long enough for the thing to take off! McCulloch Motors eventually, through sales and acquisitions, was swallowed up by Husqvarna.
I'll be happy to offer any help.

John

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #68133

Sharp set up John, i have a question type for everyone though...

I cant get get my flywheel off for the life of me. I have it hooked to a harmonic balancer remover right now with 3 1/4" grade 8 bolts that seemed like they are stresses to their max. If anyone has any suggestions please throw them here...and yes i took the flywheel nut off. The dang thing doesnt budge.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #68140

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
One of the Scott guys more familiar with the motor may have a better plan Tyson, but here's a trick that has generally worked for me in the past. (You have soaked it with penetrating fluid, right?) Tighten the puller as much as you dare, then give the center bolt of the puller a sharp wrap (strike) with a hammer. This will often "pop" the flywheel loose.

Mark

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #68161

It has been soaking with PB Blaster for the last 2 days. I have heard others say to hammer the center with the flywheel under pressure but would this damage the crank bearings?

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #68223

• 59G3
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I live in Lake Havasu City AZ... Home of the Late Mr. Robert Mculloch.. On display here at the visistor Center is a pristine un molested 1962 Flying Scott Boat- motor -and Trailer... It was McCulloch's Personal Boat.. Pics Coming after the weekend...

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #68232

Great success!!
I finally got it to come off. I didn't have it in me to whack at the crankshaft so after staring at it for about 10 minutes under pressure I took a hammer and just tapped on the top of the flywheel near the edges and it literally popped off. Now I am in the process of grime clean up.

The alternator set up...

The under side of the flywheel.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #68397

I spent most of my free time this holiday cleaning and painting the engine. It turned out pretty good but I will be able to tell for sure tomorrow when I rip the paper off.

Primed for paint:

Painted the inside white first, now prepping to paint the engine. Lots of tape...

So far so good.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #68488

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Looks great! I have the same motor on my Dorsett. Everyone here has been a great resource. I can't wait to see your motor all put back together!

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #68539

Made a little more progress today. Installed the fuel pump, starter, choke solenoid, rectifier, and coil bracket.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #68556

And all I did over the weekend was power wash the deck. I feel like a total slacker!

What brand of paint and colors are you using? Looks awesome!

John

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #68563

im with vernon"john",it looks great and i dont just feel like a slacker when compared to you,i AM a slacker,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #68568

Its nothing special just rustoleum sunrise red. Hopefully it holds up to a little heat. Ha. I only get about an hour a day to work on it, maybe 2 on a weekend day. I am trying to balance a work and family life.

Tyson

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 month ago #68569

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
One year, I think about 3 years back, there was a complete, restored,(or original) Scott at the Whitefish chain boat show. I spent quite some time looking it over because it is just a really interesting boat. That one had twin engines so all the instrumentation was unique on the dash too. Again all Scott equipment. I don't know if I have a photo or not. I'll look.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 weeks ago #69582

Did you ever get the pics of the Flying Scott at the Lake Havasu Visitor center posted? If anyone else has some pics of these boats I would really like to see them as I'm doing one this winter as well. Tks, Pat

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 weeks ago #69599

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Vernon... what year/size is your trolling motor?

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 weeks ago #69610

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Welcome, cool boat and love the band aid top in the drive!

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 weeks ago #69632

You have the triple threat for sure! Im a Scott guy and want to point out a few things, Nice paint job but Im wondering if you cleaned off the paint on the block and both sides of the starter where the bolts go. you will need all the ground you can get with that med sized starter. the earlyer scotts had some issues with the output of the 2 smaller starters.
Also a little known forgotten fact, these motors have a tail tell just like a merc and later omc. I have not seen one work since the 60s but they are there. left side under the wing. if you look you will see a set screw in the rear and about 1.5" twords the front you can see the hole (usuly coverd in paint) I run a pee tube out the top of the head and rout it through the top of the hood.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 weeks ago #69635

OH and DONT run it @ 100:1 without using the scott oil! 50:1 with any tcw3 oil is fine

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 weeks ago #69858

Thanks for the tips, i will check those things out. I am just waiting on a new belt to come in the mail then i will post some more pics.
Tyson

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 weeks ago #69872

Someone asked about the kicker on my boat. It's a '58 Scott Atwater 3.6hp. Came original painted same color as the Flying Scott. I have another badged as "McCulloch" trimmed in dark green. Sweet little motors...you can almost count the RPMs at low idle!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online