Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17'

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 2 weeks ago #69873

Ponyboy,

Mine pees fine straight out of the hole. I'm not picturing how you did yours. But you are right, mine was clogged with dirt. Just poked it out with a finishing nail. Shoots water about three feet to the port side.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 12 years 1 week ago #69914

Finally got the belt in the mail, 3 of them to be exact. I was about to pay $40 for one online, then another guy wanted $30. I went to "quality transmission components" and just ordered the one I needed for $3.84. A whole lot better deal and a perfect match. Now I forgot that I have to repair the wires on the alternator.

Oh and I sanded down the starter mountings, thanks.

Tyson

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 11 years 6 months ago #75821

Love the boat, I've got pretty much the same one only fortunately in better cosmetic shape due to grandfather in law taking good care of it. However from the looks of it, yours will be looking better than mine in no time. No Scott trailer, though, Montgomery Ward.

I have a 75 HP McCulloch outboard on the boat that I'm pretty sure is original, however it's a long shaft measuring 23 inches from the transom mount to the cavitation plate, and the boat only has a 15 inch transom. I'm trying to figure out if somehow this is not the original motor. Honestly as much as I hate to have anything non-original on this classic I'm thinking about replacing the motor as I'm not so good with outboards and this one is difficult to find parts for and impossible to get local help with.

Can you tell me if the original motor on your boat is short or long shaft (or what the transom mount to cavitation plate distance is)?

Thanks!

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 11 years 6 months ago #75823

Sorry, mine has a 1959 Evinrude 50 hp on it. But the rule of thumb that I've always heard is the cavitation plate should close to the same level as the bottom of the hull. Why not make your Scott into a short shaft. On OMC's there's a spacer housing you can take out. Alittle machine work on the shaft and it's a short shaft. If I had a Scott 75 I would run it, but I have an Evenrude, so be it !! I'm more into resto-mod than totally stock. Later, Pat

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 11 years 6 months ago #75824

Also I heard that there is a complete 17' Flying Scott boat motor trailer package in the Lake Havasu Vistors Center. It's there as a tribute to Robert MCculloch due to the fact he started that city. Haven't seen it but would love to have some pics if anyone gets down there !!

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 3 months ago #111439

Well after all these years and a 10 month Navy deployment I am happy to say that work on the Scott is going great! The interior is almost finished, the seats are in the shop, new flooring is in, the deck has new mahogany, and today I am finishing up some turquoise paint.

The lower unit has me a little stumped though. I posted a question the the outboard section if anyone had any help I would appreciate it. Pics coming soon I promise!

Tyson

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 3 months ago #111445

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good to hear Tyson, we'll be looking forward to seeing your pics!

Mark

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 3 months ago #111448

Deck
Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 3 months ago #111449

Interior
Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 3 months ago #111450

Dash
Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 3 months ago #111451

Parts
Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 3 months ago #111453

Good to see you back at it! She looks great! The deck is outstanding!

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 3 months ago #111519

Spent time today repainting my steering wheel since I didn't like the way it turned out. Also polished a bunch of stuff, here is the spotlight before pic:
Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 3 months ago #111520

I sanded the base with 220, 400, 600, 800, 1200, and 2000. Then I used 0000 steel wool to get it some shine. Here it is after the 1200:
Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 3 months ago #111521

And after polishing
Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 3 months ago #111523

Excellent, she's coming a long nicely, great job!

Bob

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 3 months ago #111529

olymatsu,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 2 months ago #113096

Well the good news is that, although slow, she is making decent progress. I got the motor running well, finished the bow hatches and the rest of the mechanical, got the seats in it. Here are a few pics

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 2 months ago #113097

Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 2 months ago #113098

Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 2 months ago #113099

Some original matching turquoise on the trailer under the winch
Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 2 months ago #113101

The kids enjoying the new interior.
Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 2 months ago #113102

More

^^^^Pretty much nothing I do can get these pics of my kids playing in it to show up. More to follow on that...
Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 2 months ago #113103

So today I took the boat out on its maiden trip and it ran okay, except for a little carb adjusting. After about 30 minutes of tooling around the motor would lose all power at high RPM and cut out. I thought it was a carb issue so started up a few times with minor tweeks. After the 3rd start up the motor would not engage the gears, only Rev up.
Upon pulling up the motor this is what I found:
Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 2 months ago #113104

The upper screw in the prop hub had loosened itself up, the was banging against the prop until it finally snapped the ear on the hub (and made a nasty stripping of the threads.
Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 2 months ago #113114

Just remember anything can be fixed. it will all work out. Bob

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 1 month ago #113917

Did some work hand painting the emblems. well the turqouise is sprayed on but the rest is painted.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 1 month ago #113923

Forgot to mention, just like 'whisky tango' I had to clearance my prop nuts out. In this case I used a burr bit in a press. Took about 20 minutes per.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 1 month ago #113924

badger bob wrote:

Just remember anything can be fixed. it will all work out. Bob

Sure did. With the help of eBay I purchased a good lower end. Now my gears all function as the should, the impeller gets a spare, and since I adjusted the shift arm on the motor everything seems to work fine...although when I put it into reverse the cable comes out of the tube too far so when it goes to shift back to neutral it gets caught onto the tube... more on that later

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 1 month ago #113925

This was the culprits the first time. I neglected to shim the hub and thus, the screws were not tightened down enough and caused the top one to vibrate out. My replacement lower had these included.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 1 month ago #113928

Flying Scott,

I have attached a procedure for correctly shimming the prop shaft bearings for a three cylinder Scott.
Because of manufacturing tolerances and differences in bearing race thicknesses, each motor needs a specfic amount of shims as shown in the overhaul manual. I believe the shims come in three sizes, .005, .010, and .015.
The procedure shows how to set up ther correct endplay using an inch pound torque wrench.
The shims that came out of your newer lower unit look like a mixture of cardboard and metal shims. Only metal shims were used at the factory. The cardboard may have been used because the correct metal shims were not available when someone rebuilt the lower unit previously.
If you used the procedure and your endplay falls into the specs, no problem, but it's rare that shims from one lower unit set the endplay correctly on another lower unit. Also it could be that requiring the extra shims was because the rear bearing race is not pressed in correctly, or the shim for the race was not used.
If you do need shims I have a few extras or they can be made from brass or stainless steel shim stock. Email me.
This procedure was taken from the 1957-1959 Scott rebuild manual, but is the same for all 60 and 75 HP motors.

Don
Attachments:

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 1 month ago #113935

Thanks that's useful info. I have the cap torqued down and there is almost no torque on the shaft.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 1 month ago #113936

Oh and I forgot to mention that I used the new cap and gear housing as a pair....I sorta had to.

I used the new gears also because the prop shaft didn't lock up when I tightened the cap down like the old one did.

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 1 month ago #113946

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Looking great! Your prop nut clearance solution is way more professional mine was. BTW - Somebody bought a complete "was running" Mc 75 on ebay today for $100. I almost bought it because you can never have too many spare parts.

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Re:Complete 1962 Flying Scott 17' 9 years 1 month ago #113996

Test ran the motor for about 30 minutes today with the prop on it. Seemed to run great except the pee hole wasn't shooting out much water, it is in the video but shortly after it slowed down a lot.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.640 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online