Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: pedal firetruck for charity

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50702

John,

bob thank you very much but frog beat you to it,i keep forgetting to get him the measurements,i will do that today./quote]

Yeah that's the story of my life, day late and dollar short! :laugh:

She's cleaning up nicely!

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50708

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Lookin' good John, it's coming along nicely.

Mark

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50732

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
thank you andrew,thank you bob,thanks mark,im not sure if i can work on it tomorrow,i have to get my back hoe fixed,before i get knee surgery on dec.2nd.
but what comes next is covering the wood,with cloth and resin i put in to add some strength and give me something to attach the upholstery to.
then a little filler,and primer and paint .
i have some red pearl for the clearcoat.
keep an eye out for me for tires for it.thanks john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50789

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i want to thank bham-rick also he is giving some stuff for the firetruck also,so thank you rick.
i didnt get anything done on the firetruck ,but i did get the backhoe in the garage,and got a leaking hose off of it next to change all the fluids,and gas filter so it works right for plowing,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50802

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You're doing a great thing John and Glad I can help , When I get it mailed I will post a photo of what's coming ! It will be a good part of the total package B)

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50814

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks rick but its not just me,if everyones reads back there are a lot involved here,including you.john

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50871

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here's some pictures got the fire safety kit today . My Buddy John has a program for kids called "Firefighters for fun" He teaches fire safety and has a couple fire trucks that are retrofitted to hold about 25 kids for rides. He has a whole program in this box. Cool little jacket and pants with a helmet, say's size 4 - 5 . Your truck will have the complete package.He's retired now but loves to teach the kids about safety. I'll get this in the mail in the morning. This is a great Fiberglassics project that you have started and it's amazing to see everybody pitch in where they can.
Attachments:

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50874

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Holy smokes Rick, no pun intended. What a guy.

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50888

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
wow thanks rick,that is very,very cool,it will help get a better price for it all,and please thank your friend john for me too.

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50889

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i also got shipsters antique hose nozzle today,he sent 2,they are very cool,ill take a pic in the morning,thanks shipster,john

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50890

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Gentleman
I am hoping that there are many guests to this sight that will come across this thread and enjoy the idea of folks joining together and working toward a very wothwhile cause. I know this happens on much grander scales, but if these guests perhaps take this story back to a group that they belong to and start something of their own, large or small, someone else out there will benefit also.
I am very happy to be a small part of a group of folks that give unselfishly and ask for nothing more than a simple thank you.
Hats off to all of you. Again.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50901

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wow, this is really cool! What a group, and what a way for so many to contribute.

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50944

Neil wrote
Gentleman I am hoping that there are many guests to this sight that will come across this thread and enjoy the idea of folks joining together and working toward a very wothwhile cause. I know this happens on much grander scales, but if these guests perhaps take this story back to a group that they belong to and start something of their own, large or small, someone else out there will benefit also. I am very happy to be a small part of a group of folks that give unselfishly and ask for nothing more than a simple thank you. Hats off to all of you. Again/code] Well said, couldn't agree more! Bob[code]Gentleman
I am hoping that there are many guests to this sight that will come across this thread and enjoy the idea of folks joining together and working toward a very wothwhile cause. I know this happens on much grander scales, but if these guests perhaps take this story back to a group that they belong to and start something of their own, large or small, someone else out there will benefit also.
I am very happy to be a small part of a group of folks that give unselfishly and ask for nothing more than a simple thank you.
Hats off to all of you. Again/code]

Well said, couldn't agree more!

Bob

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50970

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
hi jim,without you giving up your memories of this firetruck,this would never happen.
hi all nothing done today,i spent all ay with pre op crap and getting crutches,today i will get the hose on the mini back hoe,then back at the firetruck.
it needs new tires,so i tried to sell a stainless steel steering wheel,bronze/brass bow handle and sternlight on ebay for the money but they didnt sell at 29 bucks each,if anyone is interested,i will give ya a great deal,all the money will go into the truck,guranteed!
the sternlight has a very small crack in the lens,chrome is good one small spot of brass showing on the pole.

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50993

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John : Post a picture of the wheels needed with dimensions . You know how it is - somebody may have a couple pair sitting on a shelf somewhere ? Good luck with you medical issues !

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #50998

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
rick,yep ill do that this afternoon,im going out to fix the mini back hoe,and get it out of my garage.
then i can work on the truck.
the sternlight is sold,it will be very helpful towards the tires ,paint,etc.thanks tudor.john

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51010

Any parts other tires? From the pics it looks like it might need a hubcap. Take care off youself first and you'll get to it. :)

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51015

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
back hoe fixed,i was nice and greasy,lol.
here are the pics of the tires,the worst one is the drive wheel,they are about 7 1/4 inches across total.
and yep cat i need hubcaps,i need to look closer at the ones that are on there now,im trying to go as fast as i can before im down for awhile,but i also have a cool custom paint job in mind,it will take some doing.
right now im trying to get the sides good and strong,they bow easy,
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51068

John,
I don't know if you can use them on this project/charity, but I can donate a couple of Fiberglassic bumper stickers if you like!

Ken

Hello, World!!

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51069

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ken that would be great they can go right along with the calendar neil is giving,this is great,alot of folks pitching in for a good cause,i have said it many times this site is great and has great people on it!john

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51079

Rick, I don't know how I missed that suit last time...that'll fire up the bidding. Ya'll are great!!!

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51124

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
john, just an update on the ladders. got them glued up tonite and will get a few coats of poly on them this week end. then i'll ship them out to you. looks like your making progress on the fire truck. take care and hope to have them to you by next week end. frog

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51160

Awesome work guys. It is reassuring to know that there is still some genuine goodness in the world. John, your initiative never ceases to amaze me. You are most excellent.
Andrew

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51165

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks frog that takes some weight off my shoulders,i sure appreciate it,and as far as getting anywhere with the fire tuck ,i have been down a few days with some sort of intestinal flu,i have to get back at it but wow,its hitting me hard ,i hope it goes away quick so i can have my knee scope done friday.
thank you andrew i appreciate that,and i thank jim for giving up his memories of being a kid,and all the other great folks that are helping with this project.
im just hoping i dont let anyone down ,because of my health issues,i dont think it will be ready by christmas,but i dont want to rush it anyhow i want it to be something special,and it will be thanks to all these great folks helpng me out,now thats amazing,john

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51176

A link you might enjoy when you have some down time. www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570204

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51179

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Cool ideas there, fink, thanks for the link...
So, John, how do you incorporate working headlights?
Attachments:

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51188

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John, Please don't kill yourself trying to meet a deadline. Get your health in order first and we can get this done when we get it done. Maybe the local VFD would want to have a benefit auction in the spring or whenever and we can auction it off then. Just a thought. Thanks.

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51214

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well said Shipster !! Spring is just right around the corner so by all means take it slow and get yourself in order first !! Enjoy the Holidays and relax till you get back your health . You have a real good jump on the project - who knows by the time you get this done somebody may donate a Fire Hall for this little truck :cheer:

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51218

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
jim,im way ahead of ya,ive been thinking of that for awhile now,plus a lot of other cool features,i just want it to be kind of a surprise,this thing will be cool,at least i hope so lol.
thanks shipster and rick,im hoping i can get back on it tomorrow,then even after my surgery ,i can still work on it,i have a nice table and stools to sit on as i work on it.
as for the selling of it,i as thinking ebay,and everyone get the word out ,including fire companys.
i will have it custom lettered for whoever buys it,with names or fire company logos,etc.
i am going to custom paint it,im hoping it comes out very cool.
i will post pics as i go along,so you all can see it come together.
i have found out i will have beef up the sides they arent very strong,and will bow in and out.
thanks for thinking of me guys,john

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51248

John,
Just to echo, take care of yourself first buddy. The project will always be there, it's not going anywhere. Of course i know how you are and your not one to sit still for very long, but fight the urge and take the time you need. ;) You do outstanding work and it will look great when it's done.

Bob

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51261

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks bob,i appreciate that,im hoping i can get something done today,after my wife gets home from work ,she is going to pick up sandpaper for me today.
i want to get the hard stuff done before friday.

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51297

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yeah, John, take care of yourself, the truck will be there waiting for you when you feel well! In the meantime, enjoy this attached photo:
Attachments:

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51329

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
wow!jim thats an amazing photo,great to see it,thank you for letting me do this ,i sure do appreciate it!

b ham rick the little fireman/or little fire girl suit came today and wow,its so authentic looking,very cool,it even has a coloring book,and stickers to teach a child of fire safty.
unfortunatly the hat had got cracked in shipping,but what the heck ill fix it and paint it to match the truck,lol.thanks my friend!

i also just got off the phone with frog the ladders are on the way,what a great fella to talk with,thank you frog!
you guys ar lighting a fire under my butt to get back at it,im feeling a bit better then before,im REALLY hoping to get alot done tomorrow,thanks to all of you involved,besides helping a charity i think it will also help us keep in mind the brave fellows that go into burning buildings"first in,last out",thanks john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51332

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
That is so cool, wish there was something I could contribute.
Cal

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51333

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
you just did cal,thanks,john

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51353

john, by selling this on ebay how can you be sure some child will end up with it? some old geezer might bid on it and it might end up in a storage locker. there must be a way that will guarantee a child receives it. ron

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51358

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron,i think its ok if a collector does get it,it would be taken care of very well,and eventually passed on to a child.
besides its also the money it might get on ebay to go to the charity to help other children.
but it would be nice to see a kid with a big grin on his/her face,sitting in it,lol,to me it would be the coolest to have a picture like that,john

---Mark Twain

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51364

Here's a picture of me on Christmas eve '66 at my grandmother's. (my house now)
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51412

• slo-mo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Love the old school "fire kid" pictures, Jim and Doug. Can't believe that you both had almost identical rides.

Way to circle the wagons, John - as a lurker - the fire truck project struck me as silly at first, this is a boat site afterall...but - you're caring style has brought together the group in a fashion that only you could do. Big kudos to you, as many others have said, please take care of yourself first.

Neat project! You are the man. Happy Holidays to all...

greg
Attachments:

Re:pedal firetruck for charity 12 years 10 months ago #51418

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
doug,very cool pic ,i love it.i hope whoever buy it sends us a picture of the child its for,riding in it.

thank you greg,that means alot to me,because i thought the same ,i was worried about a kids firetruck project being on a boat site,i was hoping not to upset anyone,but i think it will serve many purposes,like bring in money for charity,make us think about our heroic fireman,and bring alot of us together towards that goal.

and yep i took care of myself 1st now i have today and tomorrow to get too many things done before surgery on friday,lol.
at least i was able to go into town yesterday and get some primer and some 3/4 x 3/4 x1/8 inch angle to weld to the inside of the sides,to streangthen and keep the sides straight,and also to mount my upholstered insides to it.
i hope to get it all welded up today.john

---Mark Twain
Time to create page: 0.383 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online