Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DONE!! Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35

DONE!! Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 12 years 11 months ago #48295

• Shelby18
  • Shelby18's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I am a new member here, and just finished the purchase of a Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35. I am the third owner of this boat which was purchased originally in MN. in 1963. It then sold to the father of the owner I purchased it from in 1967. Fortunately they retained all of the paperwork, brochures, and manuals that came with the boat. Once I scan them I'll forward it to the Library.

While the boat is in decent shape it is still going to go through a complete restoration. There are some parts missing, and other options I am looking for. Any help would be appreciated.
#1 is the Stern Light / Flagpole (photo here of what it looks like....)

#2 would be the Reverse Steering Unit Parts #1-3 only.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re: 1962 Buehler Turbocraft 12 years 11 months ago #48296

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Evening Shelby,

Congrats on your recent purchase. I would really like to see some pics of your project. I am very sure the members here on FG will be able to provide you with terrific guidance in your restoration.

Re:1962 Buehler Turbocraft 12 years 11 months ago #48297

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the welcome Todd.
Here is a link to photo's of my new boat.... 1962 Buehler Turbcraft Jet 35

Currently the trailer & the upholstery are being restored. I will update the thread as the progress continues. The estimated time for the boat to be show ready is summer 2013.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:1962 Buehler Turbocraft 12 years 11 months ago #48302

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Nice.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:1962 Buehler Turbocraft 12 years 11 months ago #48313

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Georgeous boat. Saw one a few years newer at the mecum auction last month. I think I also got a notice for your parts search on my mail from classic boatworks. Keep searching, you'll find the parts.
mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=LG0911-117264
This is the Buehler that was up for auction. Didn't reach the reserve price if I recall.

Re:1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 12 years 11 months ago #48314

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome Shelby, pretty cool knowing the history and heritage behind your Buehler. That should make the restoration extra special when it's finished. I have a good friend in VA that restored one, I'll have to look and see if I can find his project thread. Great looking boats, pretty darn "majestic" when they're brought back properly, IMO. Please keep us posted and share progress pics with us as the project comes along, we'd love to watch the process.

Mark

Re:1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 12 years 11 months ago #48320

welcome shelby,nice boat.
the stern light comes up once in awhile on ebay,i cant remember who made it.
the problem seems to be with them that the plastic ,where the flag rings go are usually broken out,but there are some out there ,do a saved search for vintage stern/anchor lights,ya might get lucky,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1962 Buehler Turbocraft 12 years 11 months ago #48331

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the responses. I have sent out a few emails that were links on this site for parts. Hopefully something comes of it. Dean at Classic Boatworks has already responded. Lets see if he can find something.

I will post progress as it happens.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:1962 Buehler Turbocraft 12 years 11 months ago #48352

Shelby,
Hello from Virginia Beach VA............
Mark S sent me an email about the Beuhler you are restoring. Just thought I'd post a link to a resto that I completed back in 1995 on a '71 Bolero. Not the same jet drive steering set up and had a 318 Chrysler 225 hp for power. Great boat. Had it for 12-13 or so years and sold it to a guy in Florida in 2006. Have not heard rom him since but understand he replaced the engine and maybe re-painted the hull. It might have shown up at the Mount Dora boat show but I have not seen it in their pics.

shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,267,00.html

What is the motor.Ford ?

I think I have posted a couple pics here on the FG site.......

Looking forward to your progress !

Re:1962 Buehler Turbocraft 12 years 11 months ago #48384

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yes, I had seen your restoration thread. Your boat turned out great!

The motor is the Crusader Marine (Division of CAL Connell Cadillac)

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 12 years 11 months ago #48610

• luke
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I have the tail pieces you are looking for and possibly a whole unit. I also probably have other pieces you may be looking for. If I am correct on the stern light you are asking for (picture attached) then I have that too. Not sure if I'll let that go. Post back and we'll figure this out. I have started on my 1959 Buehler. Have rebuilt the jet drive, had all the chrome redone and the tail piece is ready for either paint or powder coat. Wire looms this winter and then I will get after the hull in the spring. Water in spring of 2013. Bob
Attachments:

Re:1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 12 years 11 months ago #48613

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bob did have the parts I was looking for. Thanks so much Bob!!!

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 12 years 8 months ago #54962

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The restoration has begun....
First the seats, except the front bottom. It is getting the springs redone. The only issue here was finding the correct pleats in a wide piece instead of having to make a seam in the middle or having them sewn in.
Back of front seats

Engine cover
Back seat
Attachments:

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 12 years 8 months ago #55000

very,very nice shelby,they look fantastic,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 12 years 8 months ago #55274

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks John.

This forum has been really really helpful in not just encouragement, but members helping with finding parts. So on that note, I am missing the spark arrestor shown in this scan from the owners manual. If anyone knows of one out there I'd sure be interested in purchasing it. ;)
Attachments:

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 12 years 2 months ago #65860

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The restoration has started! While on the way to the St John's Concours to show both my '59 Country Squire & my '59 Colony Park I stopped by Marine Services to check on the progress. Being my first time there Dave & Scott showed me around, talked shop with my auto restorers, and let me peek at my boat for the first time. The work they do is really impressive, and when they saw my Colony Park that was just restored we all knew that this was a perfect fit.
Here are some photos of the progress. I'll update more as the restoration progresses.
Pulling the motor. What we found out here was that this block was replaced some time back with a newer year. We already have spoken to a engine re-builder that has a correct year motor that will be built for this boat.

The engine bay sans the motor

Repairing the glass

Parts to send for re-chroming

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 12 years 2 months ago #65893

• MarkS
Looks like she's in good hands there Rick, thanks for sharing the progress report. After checking out your other restoration threads (automotive), I can't wait to see how the Buehler turns out!

Mark

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 12 years 2 months ago #65937

man oh man....thats gunna be one heck of a re-chroming bill!

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 12 years 2 months ago #65986

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Chrome plating $4157.00
About 1/5 the bill of the Mercury Colony Park... ;)

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 11 months ago #70495

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well in two months more progress has been made. :)
The delay was due to me wanting a boarding area that fit in line with what Buehler had for the Queen Bee. Since mine did not come with this and the Queen Bee type just didn't look right, we came up with something along the line of what we thought Buehler might do for a lower line boat.
This was the first prototype mock up

After some modifications this is the plug

Port side of the lay up.

Mounting hardware

trial fitted. Notice how we have the access area which will be covered with the Buehler logo plate

Custom bent handrails now attached to the platform to give more strength. The access plate is also in place.

Applying the Feather Fill

Primer being spot puttied and sanded ready for color.

Oh, and regarding the automotive restoration, we came away with a Lions Award at the St. John Concours d'Elegance. Not bad for the first time out! ;)

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 11 months ago #70497

Rick, That looks really cool! I looked at a 1967 Bolero yesterday that is a total wreck. I am interested in the jet unit and tail section that has the built in step that Buehler offered on all of their boat lines after our 1962. I am thinking of using that unit for the very same reason that you are building the swim platform. It may not be original, but in the long run, I think it will make the boat so much more user friendly and not alter the value of the boat.
For these reasons, I am leaning towards a "retro restoration". That would mean, some minor upgrades. They include new gauges in classic design, sound insulation of the motor box, interior lighting of the glove box, front seat storage areas, and gunnel lighting. Other improvements will be stiffening of the foredeck, and maybe a snap in style of carpeting...All coming together and hopeful for a Spring christening!

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 11 months ago #70499

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Royce!
One of the thoughts with going this way was ease of use for my kids. They are still young and have their mothers height challenges.
We can always take the boat back to original by filling in the holes and repaint. But I can't think of any reason someone would want to take it off.
Glad to hear yours is coming along! Can't wait to see it in all it's glory!

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 11 months ago #70500

Rick, you are doing a great job. I also have that top for you. I can haul it up to Minnesota next Summer and we can Jet 35 it on the lake! I don't think that I will ever use it. Any thoughts on your interior plans? I am wanting to do small "hidden" things with the lighting. They won't outwardly show sans the gauges, but other than that, it will be pretty stock.
No stereo system as I carry a Bose system now with my Ipod as it is easier than adding stereos and such.

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 11 months ago #70501

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That would be awesome to have the boats together. Though honestly I would somehow like to get that top while the boat is still in the hands of the restorers.
As for the interior, the seats are done with the exact pattern. The gauges are being restored. We are still discussing ways to get some storage space out of her. With the gas tank taking up almost all of the room under the front seat. We were looking at the back seat area, and the sides. I hadn't even thought of lighting, or music.
What Bose system do you use? I have their noise canceling headphones which are amazing for when I fly.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 11 months ago #70502

Interesting on the fuel tank placement. Mine is in the stern. My first 1960 jet 35 had the tank under the front seat. My 1962 has a fiberglass enclosed are directly under the front seat that has no opening for storage, so I am thinking it may have floatation foam in that area. The battery is located under the front seat walk through in a recessed area in the floor. I also have two hull plugs aft of the engine on etiher side of the engine bay that I have been unable to get removed.
I have the Bose system that is a battery powered speaker system that holds my Ipod. Incredible sound and will play for at least 6 hours. I carry it in the beach bag and love it.

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 11 months ago #70503

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I guess you were right when you told me or wrote somewhere that Buehler would do all sorts of things based on the buyers request.

Next summer when the boats are together we can do some real comparisons.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 11 months ago #70504

Rick, I just went tought some of your pictures and here are some differences in our two boats that I find interesting...Fuel tank placement, mine stern, yours under the front seat. My 1962 does not have the perforated side panels, my 1960 did. I will have to see if that was an option in the Buehler parts listing.
My deck was actually stapled to the hull ever two inches or so. The rub rail is slightly different as mine is all aluminum without any rubber insert. it is screwed down from the top and secured with nylon lock nuts from underneath. My jet unit is different as well, with my steering being done by cable and pulley system. I also have a gear shift on the left side of the steering console that raises and lowers the gate for forward and reverse. I did not see where yours is located. My glove box does not have a door as that must have been a later edition. I wonder if yours is a later 1962? My stern area under the rear seat is different as well with mine having a fiberlgass hollow core raisied section to hold the fuel tank and rear seat bottom. My seat cushions and similar to yours on the back side, but I have two seat cushions on the front seat bottom and two for the stern seat bottom as well. They are indeed the originals with no internal springs but rather solid foam. There is a fiberglass tunnel extending aft from the motor box to the rear seat front base to cover the drive shaft. Yours is under the floor board. I will take detailed photos and send them tomorrow for you...

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 11 months ago #71431

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here are some updated photos...

And my favorite..it looks like something out of Star Trek
Attachments:

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 11 months ago #71434

Wow, that is looking very good! I am not quite to that stage yet. It is getting ever so much closer. I have alot to focus on and this will be a race to get it painted by Christmas. While it is away at paint, I will be focusing on the engine detailing and finding a replacement winshield that is factory. I may have to haul the old one to Mount Dora in March and hopefully a vendor may be there that can make a replacement. All part of the chase!

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 9 months ago #72721

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The 283 block in my boat was from 1967. A correct block was needed to bring the motor in line with the year of the boat.

Attachments:

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 9 months ago #72722

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It's about time for some new shots!
Rear port deck with new paint applied.

View of starboard front deck after buffing.

Starboard front deck looking forward.

Hamilton pump apart so we can determine what needs to be replaced.

Front view of steering wheel repaired ready for paint.

Making casting paterns for rub rail end caps.

Port side view of boarding platform with blue panels applied.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 9 months ago #72827

Looking good! I'm out with family for hte holidays, so the boat is awaiting primer and then paint. When I get home later this week, the engine detaling will be the major area of focus. I'm ready to paint the engine bay and stern areas. Great to see your excellent progress! MErry Christmas to you and yours!

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 6 months ago #76268

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The restoration is progressing. We have the turbo back from getting restored, the seats are getting redone to better match the color of the boat, and new wood because the old wood was warping.
Some other mods we decided to add. A storage wall behind the foot rest to keep stuff from bouncing out, and a hidden ski rack.
The new seat wood

Epoxying the wood

The new storage bulkhead, and footrest.
The hidden ski rack, when the seat back is put in place you'll never know they are there.
The ski rack pieces epoxied

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 5 months ago #76287

• MarkS
Looking great Rick, she's coming right along! I love the hidden ski rack idea, very cool IMHO. ;)

Mark

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 5 months ago #76940

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Some more progress...
Bulk head painted with hardware installed

Intake with new plating

New fuel tank installed with fittings

All pump parts repainted
Windshield polished

Remember those castings made for the rub rail end caps? Here are the new parts all polished up.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 5 months ago #76951

She's coming along nicely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 5 months ago #77238

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Bob! It's not much longer until this baby hits the water!
The pump is now painted and assembled. The optional reverse steering will be installed shortly. I'll update the photos then.
Attachments:

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 4 months ago #77399

how did you do the windshield polishing?

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 4 months ago #77561

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
seabuddy wrote:

how did you do the windshield polishing?

From Dave @ Marine Services:
"The windshield polish is three steps. First we used 3M compound #05973 with a foam waffle pad. You have to keep wet with water as you are buffing. Then we used Meguiar's #17 cleaner also with a foam pad and water. Then we finished up with Meguiar's #10 polish. This takes about 6 to 8 hours if you are doing inside and out."

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Restoration 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35 11 years 4 months ago #77566

• luke
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
DO you feel the fin welded to the center of your intake grate is stock? I could see that starving the pump on one side of the grate when turning. I think the spacing of the stock ribs in the grate is a bit restrictive to begin with. My thoughts were to make a new one w/ round SS bar stock with maybe 3/8" spacing. Did you make a SS spacer for centering your reverse steering disc? I still have the one I forgot to send you when you bought the light from me for your project. You need it I'll send it or give you dimensions. It looks like a piece of SS tubing.

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7394 guests and no members online