Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: transom height on a 62 devil ray?

transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27114

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
tim is putting together a merc motor for me and needs to know which to do a long or short shaft,the transom is at 16 inches now but it looks like it was cut down,and if thats the case im going to put it back like it was,ron had one maybe he remembers, it looks like it was cut down,thanks john
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27116

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well according to the library they came in both 16 and 20". Just wondering if there is any performance gain or loss by going with a SS vs long.Exhaust exiting and the flex/twist if any in a long shaft is what comes to my mind. Probably all miniscule.John as a master restorer you should be able to go with your gut feeling on this and never question yourself as how you came to this conclusion.I am sure you will sleep better with that attitude as well,,, LOL.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27117

John, do you KNOW the transom was cut down? If it was, how much? This should be simple math! I don't think it would be unusual for a 16" transom to run a short shaft. My transom is close to 21" and I run a standard shaft.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27122

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
mr88,thanks ,i have a close up pic thats too big to put up and this transom needs a total restore,its pretty bad.
and tim has a longshaft he can do for me."master restorer"lol,lol that is funny,john

frank i dont know until i get it here but it sure looks like it was higher,it has stuff covering it up so its hard to see and tim needs to know now so he can build the motor.
i think im going to make it a long shaft,i know 15,16 inches is short shaft,but i think the transom was originaly higher but was cut down to make the short shaft johnson work that was on it.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27128

I hope to pick it up this coming Sunday. I'll know as soon as I see it. From that picture you posted, it could easily be stock too. Will that be too late for Tim?

Frank

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27132

john, it looks like it was notched out like mine.
Attachments:

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27144

I would get rid of that Gobbly-Gook on the back, run the new transom straight across at 17-18" and run a short shaft motor. If it sucks air I would be surprised.

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27148

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
frank i dont know if that will be too late or not,he can probanly work on the rest of it for now,

i might be wrong but i am betting thats what happened ron.

jerry thats my plan to cut out and get rid of the previous repairs and start over,making it look as clean as i can.my guess is at straight across it will be the 20 inch transom,john

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27150

John, take it straight across at the 17" level and run a short shaft. That doesn't look like 4", but 20" would be the max for a long shaft and have a bunch of lower unit dragging in the water. Just a guess. I would talk to someone who has raced one of those motors to see how high you can lift it. Put a tape on it. I'm curious. The tunnel may lift it up a bunch at speed. Better yet, go 20" and a jack-plate. Just thinkin' out loud again. lol
Attachments:

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27155

john-gibson wrote:

frank i don't know if that will be too late or not,he can probably work on the rest of it for now,

i might be wrong but i am betting thats what happened ron.

John, I don't think a few days is gonna make a difference, but if that shot just above is of the Devil Ray transom, I bet it's been cut down. Heck, I'll be hopefully getting it in just 5 days, so hold on to them horses!

Frank

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27157

hmmm.....from the back it doesn't look like a tunnel hull. don't have a back pic of mine, only a bow and side shot. ron
Attachments:

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27161

John,
Looking at your pics and looking at the early one Ron posted they don't look like the same boat. Transoms are different and the fins look different. Not real familiar with those boats, different years between yours and Ron's? Slightly different hulls at the transom between years? Don't know, just my 2 cents. You'll know for sure in a couple of days.

Bob

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27163

OK, disregard all, I'm an idiot. Didn't realize Ron had a Manta Ray and John's was a Devil Ray. Knew I should have drank more coffee before I started posting! From the transom shot of John's boat though I don't think it's a tunnel hull, looks like it actually has a convex hull at the back of the transom. Hard to tell from that angle.

Bob

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27168

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
the pic with ron in it is a devil ray,its also a 62 and he bought it in 69,ill post pics of the front of my devil ray with his,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27180

hey john...it even has the horn as mine did..hmmm i wonder. wouldn't that be a real kia if its my old boat. how cool would that be. ron

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27181

hey john...it even has the horn as mine did..hmmm i wonder. wouldn't that be a real kia if its my old boat. how cool would that be. ron

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27189

All you have to do is say something dumb, and someone lets you know. Turns out some boats could be ordered with a 15" transom for OMC's and a 16 1/2" Transom for Merc's. If they are set higher they go faster (straight ahead) but may cavitate when you turn sharp. SO - - the three hardest words for a man to say, "I don't know" Maybe before you tear the transom out John, you might want to try it. That tunnel design is going to lift the transom up, and there may not be an answer you can figure on paper. Trial and error is tough after the new transom is in.

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27191

OK. Since I was the one that sent john the oversized pic, let me try posting it at a reasonable size. The only way to tell is to take the SS cap off and see what is underneath.
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27194

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
jerry i cant try it the transom is pretty much toast,its got pieces bolted to it all over,boy i wish i could get this pic downsized that shows how bad it is,i just want to make the transom like it was,and thats why i asked which height it was.
i wont know until frank see it,or i see it in person.

ron that would be cool,and if it is your old boat ill fix it up and you will have the boat you have been looking for all these years,you have been a great friend.
with your health not so good,and this is your boat,when im finished its yours to own free buddy,when i get it ill try to find out if it is indeed the boat you cruised in on the deleware river

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27195

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you todd,i appreciate it,is it hard to get off?,if its not,and if you want to,go ahead and do what you have to,it needs replaced anyhow,thanks john

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27196

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
jerry now you can see why i THINK it might have been shortened,because of the stainless sheet metal bolted up above the transom,john

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27199

john, i wouldn't want it. if i didn't have the mantaray it would be another story. i want to see you restore and use it.
please stop worrying about my health. i'm doin great. i can be on dialys1s 15-20 yrs. if i so wish. i haven't forgotten about your donation offer, but thats down the road at least a few years if the doc's say its a go. luv ya buddy, ron

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27203

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok ron,but remember the offer for the donation stands for as long as your on dialisis or your doc says go.
and as for the boat thank you,but your at least going to take it out on its first run buddy.you too buddy take care,john

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27204

John,

The weather is supposed to be crappy tomorrow and part of Friday. There are some screws on it. I'll take them off and see what I can see when the weather breaks. Will post pics.

T

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27205

John,

The weather is supposed to be crappy tomorrow and part of Friday. There are some screws on it. I'll take them off and see what I can see when the weather breaks. Will post pics.

T

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27206

John,

T

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27248

Not real sure on this, but John your boat looks like the 14' version and Ron, I believe yours was the 17' one. Also John's is a later model, hence the modified tunnel or 5 point design.

I agree with Jerry on the transom height. I'd go with the short shaft if you have a choice, wish I had one for mine. I wouldn't raise it at all. The transom side pieces of metal look original although probably re-installed with all that goop on there. The middle piece may have been replaced, they used aluminum not steel and that one looks rusty. It could just be more gunk though, tough to tell from the pics. Good news is you should have some numbers on there if it's original.

Please post some pics over on Nickle City Classics so we can archive the restoration.

Dave

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27260

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks todd,take your time.you dont even have to do it if you dont want,i will find out soon.john

dave,im pretty sure its a 1962,but i could be wrong.
my biggest problem is tim has a long shaft thats in good condition with a litle work.
,i know..it is hard to tell by the pics,what i was looking at was the very shiny metal above the transom ,and it looks like it was done on both sides.im just wondering what they are covering,it could be put on to help hold the transom on,it looks homemade.or the transom was higher and they are to cover where it was cut on both sides,i really dont know for sure yet,like you said its hard by looking at pics.
and i sure will post progress pics at nickle city and here,if anyones interested in it,john

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27264

NEWS FLASH! I unbolted and pried back some of the SS covering on the boat. I believe that the transom height is original to the boat. There appears to be green across the top of thetransom. Will investigate and take some pics later.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27265

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks todd,now i can tell tim what i need,do you know why the plates above and on each side of the transom are there?it must be that the transom was pulling away,at least thats a guess,take apart anything you want,it has to be replaced anyhow,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27267

john, if you decide the 40 longshaft won't fit your transom and decide to get a shortshaft, i think you should go 60hp or higher. a 40 hp is underpowered for that boat.. imo. ron

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27272

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yeah ron but i cant afford it,tim has the 40 hp at a very good price of 400,heck i have been saving for it,its a good motor but it needs painting,and thats ok with me.

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27273

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Not alot of help but I have two Merc 500's 68-70 vintage I have had all run in a bucket... but all long shaft. not sure about the lower units on them.

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27276

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks stash,the one tim is thinking of is a 61 to 63,im trying to stay around 1962and hes putting it together,to make sure everything is good,and i have committed to tim,acually there are a few of them but hes building one for me,not sure which one yet.but ill keep you in mind buddy,thank you,you are always ready to help,i appreciate that,john

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27288

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
No Problem, All are stored away comfortably in the shed. I think the older ones are far cooler anyhow! just havent found one looking for a home yet, I'm sure It will look great!

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27338

I finally got the pic and time to post it. It definitely is the original height and there is some damage to the transom
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27357

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks todd that helped alot.
you can see the reason i was wondering is the piece of stainless bolted to the splashwell,above the transom,in the pic.
it looked like it was covering where it might have been cut down,i thank you again todd for clearing this up john

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27368

The motor in the boat is a 40hp (I think) short shaft Evinrude. If that doesn't take much to get going, you could be set.

BTW, the boat may begin it's journey westward tomorrow.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27369

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks todd i appreciate the info,and thanks to you,frank,and tim for moving it for me,your great guys.

if any of you need anything just give me a shout,john,p.s. im very excited about the move,y wife is taking me out,lol,to keep me calm,lol,plus i have cabin fever,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:transom height on a 62 devil ray? 13 years 6 months ago #27375

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
john-gibson wrote:

yeah ron but i cant afford it,tim has the 40 hp at a very good price of 400,heck i have been saving for it,its a good motor but it needs painting,and thats ok with me.

Saw your motor today and yep,it needs paint. Looks solid and will be a great compliment to your boat or is the correct word "acessorize"[sp?]

cool runnings Mr 88
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5877 guests and 2 members online