Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbie here with a couple projects and questions.

Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118281

• cosmic12
  • cosmic12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi, while I am new here I am no stranger to boats. I was raised on the Seneca river (Erie canal) in central N.Y. I am now 60 and still live on the river.
History aside I have been wanting to get a old glass outboard like what I used to see as a kid running up n down the river all the time way back when . Today I am going to bring home,trailer permiting that is what I think is a 59 Custom Craft. I cannot find a HIN or ID plate on it anywhere. Anyone have any idea how to truly ID one of these?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118282

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ok, like I said newbie so I will try the pics again.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118283

hi mark...welcome aboard....hin numbers weren't used until 1972....most older boats did have a plant number somewhere (maybe just a paper label)...more pics and closer would help...a lot of these older boats are identified by comparing them to old brochures, news paper ads and known similar boats....she does have the looks of a custom craft to me....there is a lot of info in the library here...you might want to check with whom ever titles and registers boats in ny to see if you can get the paperwork to put it on the water before you drop a lot of cash in her...she is a cool lookin boat...merry Christmas...john

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118284

Welcome aboard cosmic12! I can't help you with identification of the boat, but it sure looks cool.

Re: Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118285

cosmic12,

WELCOME ABOARD.

Are there any identifying trademarks, data plates or any other information on the hull OR in any paperwork that you got with the boat??
(There were many small-medium sized builders that copied the designs of other makers, some builders that actually bought other companies molds, etc., etc. ,etc.)

Absent such information, you may NEVER know for SURE who built your boat.
(SORRY but that's fact. = I have two hulls on the family farm that are NOT what the State registration identifies the hulls as being.)

MERRY CHRISTMAS, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118286

On some of the older boats there was identification on the back side of the dash, sometimes paper label, sometimes tin, sometimes stamped into the wood/

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118296

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Today I went to clean it out and get it ready to move home I hope Tuesday. The guy I am getting it from is 83 yrs old and just a great guy full of stories about times his family had in it. He also offered me a Johnson engine of the same vintage as the Evinrude on it. Both are free and turn over but the Johnson has always been stored inside and has very low hrs. Ya, I bought it. He then handed me 2 old plastic bags that held all the orig manuals/tool kits/extra shear pins/sale lit/and promo stuff.
I am going to try to post some more pics but this site seems to have a different formart than I am used to so please bear with me on my learning curve.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118297

Cosmic, welcome aboard, glad to have you here. John (redfishpirates) is right. Early boats didn't have hin's. More pics from different angles and inside will help.

Bob

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118299

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The only real clue I have about it being a Custom Craft is the script on the dash. I have done a lot of research and I am quite sure it is a 59 Custom Craft Sea Ray or that is the only thing I have found that seems to match. The problem is the aft section is completely open and the pic I have found on line all show more deck just in front of the engine. The seller has found the trail reg and it is a 59 Master Craft and the hub caps confirm that.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118300

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Is there a trick to posting more than one picture at a time here?
I am having to resize them also.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118301

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Dash
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118302

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
In the 1st post I think I said I had more projects.
This is a 83 17ft Century Rivera I picked up in Sept. Was a nice barn find that wasn't supposed to run and trim didn't work so it was put away many years ago and forgot about. The hr meter says 436 hrs and the seller said he was surprised it had that much. It is all orig, totally.
Got it home tossed a battery in it and nothing na-da started looking at things and found the main harness connector was very green. Cleaned it up and bang! fired off and everything worked.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118304

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The big problem with this one is the OMC stringer drive and that giant bellows on the transom, but the rest of it is so nice I couldn't walk away from it.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118306

cosmic12,

Even though that I'm FAR from sure what your finned boat is, I really LIKE it.
(I've looked until I'm blue in the face & have found NO finned FG hulls in TX. = We have a LONG boating season & the boats literally got worn out, "remuddled", crashed, etc., until there are almost NONE left.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118316

To add multiple photos to post, you have to go back and edit a previous post.

Looks like a relatively intact boat. Shame about the hole in the windshield. Expect that alone to take a couple of bills. The motor is a 1963, so a later addition to the boat.

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118321

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thank you, I will give that a try and yes you are correct about the engine it is a 63. The seller handed me a plastic bag yesterday and said your are going to love this. He was right!
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118326

welcome cosmic,talk to cc1000 aka dave Albertson,he knows custom crafts inside and out,he runs the "nickle city" custom craft site.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118354

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have been on the Nickel City site but it seems as though nobody is ever there or at least the threads don't move.
Anyway I got it home today and spent a couple hours cleaning. The seller found all the paper work and it is for sure a 59 as I thought.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118388

dave also has nos custom craft windshields ,one might fit yours

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118395

jim sgrignioli from pennsylvania had a 59 cc sea ray. i have a pic of it somewhere. think he had a merc mark 58 on it. haven't seen him around in a few years, this is a pic of him in his Skagit. real nice guy and a good mechanic. ron
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118397

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys I will try to get in touch with him.
Today/night I cleaned and pickled the engine and got it off.
I opened up the floor to let it air out a bit and get rid of the rotten wet crap that was in there. The bottom looks very solid and dry so that is good news. The bad news is I have to stop and put it away for the winter, I need the shop back to pay the bills. Have a 37 Ford I need to build for a customer. But it will be clean and dry and ready to rip into it in the spring. In the mean time I will get all the materials together and be ready.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118398

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
So now the hunt is on and the planning for the restoration.
I am thinking about using Divinacel for the coring, anyone ever use it? Also toying with building a 1/2 deck about 2ft up from the transom that is hinged in the aft section. Thoughts?
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118442

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well I have another question that I am kinda afraid to ask but I gotta.
Will I be really hammered on if I were to make some modification's to it? I restore cars and other thing for a living and just bringing something back to the exact way it was gets a bit boring so I am toying with a few changes but if it is really going to piss people off or make a big difference I won't because I do understand.
Just throwing it out there, any thoughts? I am a newbie here so please speak up.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118447

Love the air horn, we were just joking about putting one of those on our boat. Cool boat, looks like a great project.

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118448

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Geeze, no need to ask permission to do whatever you want to YOUR boat. I have never restored to original any boat. There's always a little modification needed to bring it up to "code". Even if you were to fill the bilge with foam it would not be original anymore. Personally, I like custom mods. Keep the original overall look of the boat but customize the interior, seats, dash, motor well, etc. Install a inboard fuel tank, It's your boat, don't be bothered by what others think. Looking forward to your spring project.
Would also like to see the '37.
Cal

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118449

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Your're not restoring for display in the Smithsonian. None of us are. Make yourself happy with any/all modifications you desire. I'm famous (infamous?) for pushing the envelope of restoration "boundaries"...which I personally think do not exist. As an example, here is a 1961 "plywoodie" Century Ski Dart to which I did "a little" modification. The result made me very happy and I eventually sold it for more than twice what a restored Ski Dart would bring. Have fun, which is what this hobby is all about.

I even used chrome "Century" emblems from a Buick since the original ones cost too much money! I always offered a beer to everyone who liked the boat. If they said they didn't like it, I made disparaging remarks about their mom.

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118451

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guy's I was hoping that would be the case. Anything I do with maybe the exception of the floor and transom core would be able to be removed or replaced easily if wanted. I am leaning towards doing a rear deck with opening doors and much lower windshield at this point.
I would also like to find a newer engine maybe a 4stroke if that money tree would show some fruit. I need to find the engine before the transom is done so it can be built for the correct X-dimension.
If I get a newer engine I will be modifying a old cover to go on it.
Really wish I could just keep going on it but that 37 is calling.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118452

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nautilus that thing came out smok'n hot!!!!! WOW beautiful job!!
More 37 parts only in etching primer after media blasting.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118454

yep...do her like you want her....if you are going to do a rear deck, be sure to do plenty of ventilation if you are going to keep the tanks or battery under it....same with the bow.....we don't want to here of your early demise...john

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118455

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hope everyone had a great Christmas.
I am so glad there is no ill feelings about modifications. I belong to atleast one car site that if you aren't totally correct/traditional you get flamed bad so I really needed to check 1st.
Here are a couple quick drawing of what I have in mind. I am not a artist by any means so they are rough. And yes vent's will be on it.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118457

wow...1st glance of bottom pic reminds me of a 59 t bird conv....love it!!!

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118461

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi,, I saw your post on s&f, so it sounds like you want to put some hp,even not if you are going to put all this work in it,even though you might think it is solid ,put a new transom and probable a floor,then stringers and support,, it is like restoring a car with a bad frame,it will come back to bite you,also when you do this deck you might want to plan on a well or even enclose it for water coming in the back,,but you need to decide on the engine,,short or long, there is a lot more longs to pick from, good luck I like your plan here is a pic of one that My employee did for himself,,good luck Bill
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118463

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thank you, yes I put that over there to try to get a bit more info in the performance area. You are correct about the water issue and I have a plan for a well in the aft section that will be a fixed section with the doors forward of it. Also a gutter where the inside edge of the doors will lay. The center, between the doors will be a solid piece from the well section forward, kinda like H frame. Before I start I have to find the power and design around it.

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118465

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Cosmic12,
Thanks for leading this post with questions that are also helpful to me. My 1958 boat lacks a splash-well. I wanted to do a splash-well for more safety with the option of a separate hatch built from scratch. I saw an older boat with a glassed "arch" for the back seat to prop against that was NOT glassed into the boat, but built separate and perhaps bolted gunnel to arch. That could serve to give me a back rest for a new seat since my back seat is only a bench...then I also could also use it for a place to rest a hatch. I think I just added a little more time and effort to my project. Oh-well... Dad always said "if you don't do things the way you want (and take a short cut instead), you will come to regret it and one day no longer fully enjoy the thing you once loved". I keep taking notes to fit my re-build...thanks everyone. Great ideas and advice.
Dr.Go! (Mark)

Dr.Go!

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118466

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Finished cleaning it today and got the windshield off along with a few other odds n ends. I don't think a full windshield will go back if anything at all. She is getting very dried out now and cleaner than it has been in over 25 yrs. Built a back bone and covered her up foe a winters nap. Now I have to sell my Century so I can get the new power and start the build.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118467

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Looking forward to your progress next spring. You'll be thinking of it all winter long and making mental changes.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118469

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
63 Sabre wrote:

Looking forward to your progress next spring. You'll be thinking of it all winter long and making mental changes.

Ya think? It is killing me to have to put it outside but I do need the shop space, gotta pay for the parts now and the list just keeps getting longer. I will have to walk past it everyday multiple time and believe me it will never ne off my mind. I have been dreaming of this for many many years and still can't believe I finally have a set of finns.

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118476

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Cosmic 12:

Love that '37 Ford. Before I got the "boat bug," I was an antique car/truck guy. Here are a few I restored. The first two were Hemming's Motor News cover cars back in the 1990s.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118492

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Very nice work. I love the Mac's. Only done a few trucks I mostly do cars but hey I will do about anything these days.
Had great fun this fall doing 2 peddle cars for guys that wanted to give them to grand kids for Xmas. One the Copper/Brown one belonged to the guy when he was a kid. The other one the guy has a 56 BelAir convert and wanted it to look just like it for the kid.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118493

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Anyway the car stuff is a different thread,lol.

Back to the boat stuff.
Another question. I have the 2 engines that I got with the boat and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what they were worth? Gotta be something I would think. They are both free and turn over with what seems like good compression but haven't been run in a very long time.
40 Johnson is a tiller motor I have nothing more for it than what you see. The Evinrude is a 63 and I have all the wiring/controls and all the orig paper work. The guy said it was only used a couple hrs a summer for 4/5 yrs and that it was perfect when pickled.
I do not want to mess with them and would like to see them put to use so before I put a ad anywhere and maybe over price them what do ya think?
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online