Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbie here with a couple projects and questions.

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118510

• cosmic12
  • cosmic12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Been looking at engines and price's but still not sure exactly what I want but I have made my mind up that it will be a tall black Merc or if I can find a 1958 Johnson 50 super Sea King cowl it will be Rude/Johnson. So which ever comes first will make the decision for me.
Anybody know where I can get one of these?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118534

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Although I have cleaned/covered and put the hull away supposedly to be outa sight outa mind I can't seem to make that happen. I started working on the 2-seater rendering and I really think that will be the way to go, besides 4 people in that boat would be to much anyway.LOL
So here is what I have sofar.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118535

That boat will look sweet.
Maybe a set of these in the back of the fins too? Ha

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118537

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I thought about something for tail lights but not real sure yet. The Caddy bullets not so much, I have a real set of them along with about 30 other sets ( I build cars,custom/rods,ect) but not convinced it would work.

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118540

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
My own opinion for what it's worth, the '59 Caddie taillights are overused to the point that everyone thinks "ho-hum". How about a set of '60 lights instead that would be frenched into the slant of the fins?

When I built a '57 Herters fish I made a simple modification that fit a standard 18 wheeler accessory light that I got from one of those truck goodie places, fit perfect, chrome mounts and all. The present avatar for me.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118549

I figure since you'll keep thinking and drawing all winter about the two seater boat ? during some "fee time"....
You mine as well start on the molds for the full length fiberglass cover/hatches you'll have to make.

Find yourself some free pallets, take them apart. Get out the jig saw, belt sander, and block plane, and start forming some frames for the cover mold ?
That way you won't think the project is sitting idle.

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118556

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I like the thought but I am thinking 1/4" luwan (spelling?) and 2x2s will be easier or maybe foam. The problem is I can't tie up the shop right now I have a customer 37 Ford to get done.
Dam bills ya know...

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118557

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
63 Sabre wrote:

My own opinion for what it's worth, the '59 Caddie taillights are overused to the point that everyone thinks "ho-hum". How about a set of '60 lights instead that would be frenched into the slant of the fins?

When I built a '57 Herters fish I made a simple modification that fit a standard 18 wheeler accessory light that I got from one of those truck goodie places, fit perfect, chrome mounts and all. The present avatar for me.

I have a set of those and I will for sure check the fit but I think they would be to short and narrow. I like yours they look great, I am looking for a set of 57 Linclion Premier tails rt now thinking they might do the trick.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118574

Great design so far. I think it's going to be great. I do like the Lincoln lights!

Bob

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118575

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The Lincoln is great also. If you find one, keep the car and sell the boat.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118576

yep...a friend of mine had a (as found) 57 conv years ago...was awesome up close...

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118578

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
63 Sabre wrote:

The Lincoln is great also. If you find one, keep the car and sell the boat.

Well I think I will pass on the whole car, if ya think the boat is alotta work try doing a car and one that size OMG.

My main thing right now is finding the engine, until I have it in my filthy paws I cannot go one step farther than drawings. It all depends on it start to finish.
Need that power 1st and foremost.

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118612

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Came across this, 90hp 6 in a row Seems very nice but might be to much. Thoughts?
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118683

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Really tor n on the power thing and just can't make up my mind on which way to go. A big Merc might be way to heavy. Anyone ever put anything with a 300lb weight on one of these?

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118684

Yep, got a 1000 on mine, same hull (from the waterline down).

You might want to check this one out for some inspiration:

Sorry, I guess I don't have a very good picture of the "pod", but you get the idea...
Attachments:

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118686

cosmic12 wrote:

Been looking at engines and price's but still not sure exactly what I want but I have made my mind up that it will be a tall black Merc or if I can find a 1958 Johnson 50 super Sea King cowl it will be Rude/Johnson. So which ever comes first will make the decision for me.

Maybe this? 1958 Starflite. I would sell it to a good home. I'm in CT.
Larry
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118687

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
cc1000 wrote:

Sorry, I guess I don't have a very good picture of the "pod", but you get the idea...

Great! how does it set in the water? What year is the motor? weight? What do get for speed and how does it handle? I have looked at the Sport or as many pics I can find. Wish I could find one would save me a lot of work, but I don't want the square deck anyway. All the merc's I have been looking at are in the 300lb rage. I have now found a 1977 115 without trim that is very nice with what appears to be very low hrs but I have to buy the whole package, hull/trailer/motor and don't need another hull that's for sure.

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118697

love this boat!!!!

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118698

cosmic12 wrote:

cc1000 wrote:

Great! how does it set in the water? What year is the motor? weight? What do get for speed and how does it handle? I have looked at the Sport or as many pics I can find. Wish I could find one would save me a lot of work, but I don't want the square deck anyway. All the merc's I have been looking at are in the 300lb rage. I have now found a 1977 115 without trim that is very nice with what appears to be very low hrs but I have to buy the whole package, hull/trailer/motor and don't need another hull that's for sure.

I was more showing you a boat with the covered back and similar fins, not the front part...lol...

The boat sits fine in the water, got to be a little careful going in reverse though...

I got about 43 MPH with a 19P aluminum prop, switching to a 90HP with trim whenever I get it back on the water, had a little "mishap". 115 is the same as the 100, just rated differently, 90 is the same block with different carbs from what I've been told.

Here's a video:

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118756

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well, I got a 1977 115. Haven't got it home yet seems to be in very good shape. Time will tell. So I now have a direction and know where I am going with it. Come on spring! Need to figure out the right X dimension for the transom rebuild and what I am going to use for it and the floor coring. Thinking Davinacell? (spelling) for the floors.

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118758

Great video "cc1000"!
Thanks for sharing it.
What is the orange boat with the E-rude?

"115 is the same as the 100, just rated differently, 90 is the same block with different carbs from what I've been told."
The 1150 & 115 are '70-'80s model 99ci inline-6 Mercs, and probably a smidge heavier than the '60s 1000, which is a 90 ci inline-6 Merc.
There are 90ci 900 inline-6 Mercs that were produced in 1965 only, and are basically a '65 1000 with choked down carburetors.
Then for 1966-67 the 90ci was model 950, 950ss, and the biggest TIGER block produced was a 93ci 1100 & 1100ss.
The 'SS' designated solid state ignition.

Then, in the late '70s & '80s 99ci model 900 & model 90 inline-6 Mercs were produced. It is basically a 1150, 115, with smaller intake porting, and no boost ports - like the mid-late '80s 115.

If you are planning on running a short shaft (15" transom), the '60s short drive shaft housings (DSH) are much easier to come by, and although a lot of the '60s big 4 cyl and inline-6 Mercs could use the same DSH, be sure and post or compare part numbers, before investing.
If you are rebuilding the transom, and plan to run a Merc, the short shaft models do better on a 16" transom, and the long shaft models do best on a 21" transom. These are heights used for everyday boaters. High speed performance will call for higher transom settings, but can be difficult to plane off or pull tubers, etc.
Finding a short DSH for the '70s dual square port models can be difficult and spendy. The '73 thru '86 850, 80, and 75 4 cyl DSH will work under the 99ci inline-6, BUT you have to disassemble it completely and swap out the exhaust tuner so you won't restrict and consequently severely overheat the inline-6 exhaust flow.
:)
doc F

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118759

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks a lot for the info will help I am sure and I will need all I can get.
Nice video wish the CC was in it more but I fallowed a couple links and now I am gona have to find me a power cat for the next one.
Dam this stuff might be worse than drugs!!!! LOL
Thank you everyone and keep the info coming, Please!

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118781

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hauled the doner boat home today. Engine/steering/controls all look real good. The trailer is great and it will be under the Custom Craft soon, minus the rollers,yuk,.

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118796

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I love that tandem axle trailer look with combined fender. Wish I had that, but do not want to mess up my original package...though I will buy the best and highest load rated tires to help a bit.

Nice Tower Motor - best of luck with all. I am enjoying your posts and learning lots!

Dr.Go! (Mark)

Dr.Go!

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118803

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I got the engine and all the rigging off the Glastron today and then went and hauled another Custom Craft I found home. The fleet is getting outa control.

Re:Newbie here with a couple prjects and questions. 8 years 9 months ago #118812

that is my style boat.... it will be so sharp... i like the black and white also...good luck

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 8 months ago #118823

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Made a adapter for a old engine stand and the 115 is ready for fitting in the now dubbed "River Rat" in the spring. It cannot come soon enough, I am chomp'n to get to work!!
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 8 months ago #118839

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Why you are waiting,, take a compression test on it I have had bad luck with the 6 cyl when it comes to compression,, but I still run and like them,Bill

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 8 months ago #119006

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I can't believe it is 20* outside the news is saying 12 to 24"s of snow and I can't see across the river because its a complete white out. But I have been on the puter looking for boat parts!! LOL
Looking for a power Tilt Trim unit for my 115 Merc and trying to figure out the transom height I need to make or do I just put a jack plate on it or a set back. Decision's decision's.
Thought's? Anyone have a trim unit?
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 8 months ago #119057

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ok, well I did it again. I just scored a Flying Fish. This one will have to sit for awhile so I can do the "River Rat" but I can't seem to say no to these Finns. I think I got a problem.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 8 months ago #119058

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here's something to think about...my project 5 years ago. Exact same model.

Had over 300 holes to fill. Put an inboard gas tank up front and put the filler under the bow light.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 8 months ago #119063

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Very cool ride ya got there. What did you use for the tail lights? do the work? What year is the boat?

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 8 months ago #119068

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Can't put my finger on the exact year, I think between '57-'59. I sold it a few years ago to start another project.
The taillights I bought at a local truckers emporium where they sell all kinds of lights and chromy stuff. They are standard side/tail lights, come with the chrome rings. Had to enlarge the holes slightly for a fit but not any real issues. They do work and were put on a separate switch so they couldn't be used as nav lights.
I have lots of pictures of the build if and when you start.
Attachments:

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 8 months ago #119072

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thank you. what year? I still don't know what year the one I bought is as I am waiting on HIN. I won't see the hull till spring. Cinn. Oh is a long haul for me so I will wait till the snow kinda stops.LOL

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 8 months ago #119073

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'm still thinking '57 but from what I google the fins are much larger on the '57. John Gibson had a similar one that he parted with, he might know the exact year. He's on the board here sometime, outstanding guy, highest karma rating ever.
We've been very lucky here in Green Bay area, all the snow and storms stay south of us but we do get the cold.

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 8 months ago #119075

Hey Cosmic 12,
If you don't mind, give me call at some point. (513)544-4308
It may be a long shot ? But may be able to save you 14 hours of driving ?

I will be up in Akron, NY the first weekend in March which is about 2 hours from you.

If I can swing it with the wife ? I won't mind towing your boat up to Akron NY. I grew up in Lancaster, and the whole family lives up there.

Don't get your hopes too high ? Because weather is dicey that time of year from Cleveland to Buffalo for my one wheel drive long bed pick-up truck to handle ? worst case, you have a 18 hour drive round trip to Cincy and back. Best case, 2 hours to Akron, 2 hours home ?

One last thing.... You better check if the deal is totally closed ?
It's still listed on Craigs here. I live in Milford, OH... about 30 minutes from where it is in Northern KY.

If I don't answer my cell, leave a message, because If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 8 months ago #119076

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Chuck that would be great but that trailer is total junk I have to bring a empty one to get it. Thank you very much for the offer, not looking forward to that drive.

I got the HIN# now so I have to try to figure out what year it is. Guessing they didn't put the year on them back then.

Re:Newbie here with a couple projects and questions. 8 years 2 months ago #124918

hi cal its a 59 herters flying fish I sold to henry radel,he restored it fantastically

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle