• Page:

TOPIC: Throttle Cable Help

Throttle Cable Help 9 years 1 month ago #114779

• Kevchoe
  • Kevchoe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I really appreciate all the help I've received on here. I have another one. Again, it's a '63 Lone Star Deauville with a 105 hp Chrysler outboard.

I do believe that when the knob is pulled (neutral/fast idle) and the lever is advanced at the box, you're supposed to get a little throttle/gas to help get the engine started in neutral, right? Well my throttle lever goes to stops in both forward and reverse and I get nothing... just stays in neutral.

So to start my engine when it's cold, I leave the knob in and basically start it in gear to the throttle can open up a bit. It works ok I guess, but I'd rather it work right.

I'm no mechanic and I don't know throttle cables really well. I've read all I can find, and I've played with the throttle cable end on the engine but I really don't know what I'm doing. I believe the cable should be adjusted so it will just open up the throttle but I don't know how. I can add photos if anyone would like to see my set up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Throttle Cable Help 9 years 1 month ago #114806

How does the cable attach to the carb? If the internal wire is attached to a lever with a screw that is what you would adjust. Or the outer jacket of the cable might adjust in what ever bracket it is bolted to. Perhaps the cable is not held in both places and that would be your problem.

Re:Throttle Cable Help 9 years 1 month ago #114809

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Sounds like the push button is not doing it's job all the way. I'm not familiar with your setup. If at all possible you can open up the shifter unit and take a look see. Possible something is either broken or not completely engaging. You are correct in assuming that when the push button is activated in neutral you should be able to control the engine speed without shifting.

Re:Throttle Cable Help 9 years 1 month ago #114810

I would agree. Sounds similar to the Morse set up my West Bend has, which is basically Chrysler's daddy. I would check the box to see why the cable is not advancing with the button pulled out. Since it works normally, in gear, I would suspect the connections on the motor are OK.

If it is like the Morse set up, which I don't know if it is or isn't, there are collars that secure the cable on the box and on the motor. It's not unheard of for one of them to pop loose. I've had it happen a couple of times. Something easy to check anyway.

Re:Throttle Cable Help 9 years 1 month ago #114813

• Kevchoe
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah. I had the box open yesterday. Everything looks fine. In neutral the throttle moves and then hits stops. In gear the throttle advances well past the afore mentioned stops and throttles up fine, and the gear shifter lever kicks in and advances just fine.

Re:Throttle Cable Help 9 years 1 month ago #114820

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Any way you could post a close up picture with the cover off?

Re:Throttle Cable Help 9 years 1 month ago #114830

• Kevchoe
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok fellas. I've attached a .pdf. If you need another format let me know.

It contains 6 photos in 3 throttle lever states. One full up Neutral, one neutral/fast idle and pushed fwd to stops. Last is in gear, full fwd throttle.

The problem is with the second set of photos. I should be getting some throttle before I hit the stops so I can start my boat in neutral.

Appreciate the feedback.

File Attachment:

File Name: Throttle_A...ment.pdf
File Size:348 KB
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online