• Page:

TOPIC: It happened again...

It happened again... 9 years 6 months ago #107131

• Eduardo
  • Eduardo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I saw this over a week ago browsing CL for "Industrial" stuff. It's titled 17' Boat. When you look at this picture, what catches your eye?

Eduardo
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107132

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
The first thing I noticed was how deep the V hull is, aside from the forward hatch and that it looks like an inboard.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107133

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
BIG TEE NEE good find, Bill

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107134

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Nautilus, I can see that. This is a big old glass boat, maybe a Sabercraft boat designed for an outboard. And as big and tall as she is, she actually has a short transom.

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107135

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Bill is right. This heavy duty Tee Nee is almost 20' long. First thing comes to mind after seeing the yellow trailer, “Could this be a Tee Nee.” Okay you all know how I love vintage boat trailers. Secondly, I look at the fenders. "I think it has the Teardrop fenders too," I told myself. Thirdly, I see something that may also indicate Tee Nee’s official name, Flightlight Fin Styling lights and if it did, how cool would that be. Mind you there was only that one picture in the ad and the angle of the picture doesn’t confirm for sure, but a good hunch that it is. The ad said:

Bar None Auction is pleased to announce our upcoming Sacramento monthly liquidation of state & local government, fleet and local contractor heavy equipment, commercial trucks, passenger vehicles and loads of contractor and industrial tools.

This 17' Boat is just one of hundreds of lots to choose from.

ITEM SPECTS: Year: 17' BoatStock #: 153611
Seats 2

This is a ONE-DAY ONLY auction taking place on SATURDAY, March 14th, 2015 starting at 8:30AM, with doors opening at 7 AM. Everything will sell!

Onsite Preview Days are Thursday and Friday, March 12th & 13th from 8 AM -- 5 PM.

You can bid live onsite or online and it's always free to register!

DATE: SATURDAY, March 14TH, 2015
TIME: 8:30 AM -- 5 PM, DOORS OPEN AT 7 AM
Attachments:

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107136

if it's like mine, it's a roller bunk....did you buy it??

No way....Flightlight Fin Style lights... 9 years 6 months ago #107137

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
So I go on the Bar None Auction site, search for the 17’ Boat, and there she is with more pictures. Since the boat and trailer have separate registrations or in this case, no papers on either, the auction assigns a separate number for each item even though they auction the two items in one. So then I see the additional pictures of the 17' Boat Trailer. It confirms what I thought it could be, a Tee Nee teardrop fenders with the Flightlight Fin styling lights. I've only seen 3 sets of these personally so I was like "No Way....Really". "What do I need to do to get this trailer," I was telling myself.

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107138

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
redfishpirates wrote:

if it's like mine, it's a roller bunk....did you buy it??

Redfishpirates, yes, it does have the roller bunks. Does yours come with the Flightlight Fin Styling tail lights? Have any pictures of yours?

Re:First day to preview the auction items... 9 years 6 months ago #107139

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
A couple days have passed and I’m thinking about the cool Tee Nee a lot. It’s now Thursday, the first day of Onsite Preview Day, and I go check out this boat and trailer which is just 7 miles from home. The boat is trashed and by the pictures, it was clear of her condition. It’s not worth saving other than Jervis bow light, cleats, and chocks. Anyway, I wasn’t there for the boat, which did play a crucial part in this story however. I’ll explain that later. Didn’t matter, I was there to see the cool fenders and its condition of both fenders and trailer. This Tee Nee is 20’ long, heavy duty “A” frame.

I’m taking pictures of the trailer and as I walk down the trailer, I see the cool Tee Nee fenders. Okay, so in all the years that I’ve been in the hobby, this is only the 4th time I’ve seen in person these Flightlight Fin fenders. So as crazy as I am about vintage boat trailers, this is pretty exciting. Yes, it has surface rust, but that wasn’t the surprise. Well a couple of surprises. One these fenders are straight. No dents from what I can see. Even the Flightlight fins are super straight. The second surprise is the lenses were intact. The left side was repaired but still vey presentable. I’m glad to see that they repaired the original lens instead of replacing it. The right side lens is in perfect shape. I couldn’t believe it and again the fender is surprisingly straight as well. I’m thinking after 55 years, how these fenders were not damaged at all. I mean it wouldn’t matter whether it was damaged or not, the fenders can always be repaired. Just the fact that they weren’t, I was just amazed.

A guy comes by while I was taking pictures, and said, “Why would you want that piece of crap boat? “ “It’s old.” I replied. He was a nice guy and we ended up talking a while on why we were there. I just didn’t want to say a whole lot about how cool this trailer is. Trying to be secretive and yet one can see the fenders clear as day. So that’s where this boat plays a big role; I’m thinking this beat up old boat was a good distraction from the trailer and that most folks won’t even think about getting this trash boat. Well that's what I was hoping.

So I go and register for the auction, which took place two days later. I asked about how the auction operates. There are over 800 items going up for auction. I’ve never been to one so I was anxious. Auction goes about 60 items per hour, the lady who registered my auction number stated. All this is new to me. I tell a few of my local boating friends about this, and they all feel the same way, hoping that I do get it at the same time nervous for me.

Next up, Auction Day...
Attachments:

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107141

hay its march 17, how did it go? the suspense is killing us. Bob

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107142

Ed...we have 2 of those big tee nees....1 under a 59 lonestar Bermuda 17 and 1 under a 59 red fish 17 hard top...the 1 under the Bermuda has the light kit and winch tower like yours....the 1 under the sea shark has the bubble fenders/no light kit but has the teepee winch tower...i'll see if a pic will post...john
Attachments:

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107146

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
redfishpirates wrote:

Ed...we have 2 of those big tee nees....1 under a 59 lonestar Bermuda 17 and 1 under a 59 red fish 17 hard top...the 1 under the Bermuda has the light kit and winch tower like yours....the 1 under the sea shark has the bubble fenders/no light kit but has the teepee winch tower...i'll see if a pic will post...john

That's the one. Right on refishpirates. Thanks for the pictures. You got to love the fenders.

Eduardo

Re:Look what I won at auction... 9 years 6 months ago #107148

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Here you go Bob,

Two more days have passed and now it's the the day of the auction with two auctions going at the same time. Ring one, numbers 1 to 299 started at 8:30 am. These were the motor vehicles. Numbers 300 to 800 plus were Ring two, which started at 9:30 am. The boat and trailer was number 567 and 567A. So I thought at 60 an hour, 4 hours, after the 9:30 start leaves me around 1:30. Well I get there around 12 noon and good thing we got there early; they were already on item 514. I’m watching the process. There are a lot of people around looking at stuff. People standing and looking at the old boat, hanging around the boat, and I’m thinking okay, there might be some folks here wanting the boat and trailer, maybe. It’s going by fast, within 30 minutes they were just 5 items from the old boat and trailer. I’m getting nervous now. It’s now time. The mobile auctioneer is right in front of the boat. Online bidding is also going on. He starts the bid at $100. One of the two auctioneer helpers said at loud, “This could make a good planter box in your front yard.” Still no takers, then down to $50. One bid behind me. At $75 I raise my hand. Usually he’ll wait awhile to close but in this case, it was almost right after I raised my hand he said, “SOLD, to number 107.” He knew the boat wasn’t worth anything because that’s all he could see. He just wanted to go on to the next item. People were probably saying to the person next to them, “Why would he get that ugly beat up boat?” My wife and I looked at each other and laughed. What we thought would happened did happen. I know there wasn’t any competition in bidding for this but the fact that I won felt pretty exciting. I really wanted this Tee Nee trailer with the cool Flightlight Fin lights. Even my wife was excited for me.

Going on to the next item for bid.
Attachments:

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107151

Excellent, good job Eduardo!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107152

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Awesome!!! Good for you Eduardo!!!

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107153

Congrats Eduardo , one mans junk is another mans treasure !!!!! madbohunk safe boating

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107163

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Very nice story, I have been in the same game before. Thanks for sharing, I felt that I was there cheering you on!
Congrats,
StevieB

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107169

Way to go Eduardo!!!

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107175

• MarkS
Nice score Eduardo, you just never know where the deals are going to pop up do ya!? ;)

Mark

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107187

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks gentlemen. One more to add to this story.

Once the boat and trailer were sold, we headed out towards the front office. We stopped at the food truck beforehand, bought a drink for me and a couple of guys that were already there and celebrated. That was fun.

The overall cost out the door was $92 after tax and buyers fee. Since the total was for two items, they broke it down even more. The sales receipt serves as a Bill of Sale to the DMV. Boat was itemized at $65 and so MarkS, that means the Tee Trailer was technically $10.;) Bar None Auction deals with DMV, paperwork and registrations, all the time, so it means they are a reputable company with DMV. I assume it will not be too difficult to register the trailer.

I brought it home that same afternoon, last Saturday. Currently sitting on my driveway. I’ve already removed the nice hardware and gave them to my cousin just last night. They were the larger Jervis cleat, chocks, and step pads in very good shape. These will go well on his ’58 Bell Boy 404 Express 19' Cruiser. On my way to the dump this weekend, I’ll stop by a neighbors and a couple of my friend’s places to pick up more stuff they want taken to the dump. This big old boat will serve it’s last purpose.

The moral of the story is that even when I’m not trying to look for old boats and stuff, something unexpected happens like finding this cool Tee Nee. I appreciate the replies and the props gentlemen. Thank you again. Hope you enjoyed my story; wanted to share this with y’all. This glassic stuff never gets old, well for me anyway. The excitement is still there.

Eduardo & Mercedes
Attachments:

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107192

way to go. glad you got it . bob

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107195

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
What, your wife didn't want a nautical planter in the front yard?! :)

Liked the story, thanks for sharing!.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107244

You beat my purchase price of my H.D. Teenee by 25.00 and your sitll has the tail light lenses! BUT mine was registered with the original black plate. So I guess we are about even?

Good score!
Attachments:

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107257

Great find and great luck! Enjoy getting your new baby back into shape!

m

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107301

I had something about like that happen to me at the North TX auction. Even satx78247 was with me and could not believe what some things went for and how cheap other walked away

I went to buy a 1956 Yellow Jacket Boat.
I was going to go as high as $200 for it and the trailer.
The bidding started and ended at $75 with me being the only bidder

Next came a 1957 Yellow Jacket. They started at $75 and I threw out $20 as a starter.
They took it and that was the only bid.

Next they auction a 1958 Yellow Jacket. They asked me what I wanted to start the bidding at; where I said I paid too much for the other 2 so we will start at $10. They started the bidding and I started to walk away thinking someone would bid it up for the hardware. I was about 400ft away I hear over the PA "# 146 wins the bid"(I was) #146

One never knows what things will sell for at a auction.

CAVU

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107305

Way to go on the winning bid! My 58' Tee Nee is an eye catcher found it out in a field rotting away under an old Glasspar.

Travis

www.liquidassetsonline.org , 63\'PowerCat14-C w/twin64\'650\'s,14\'Glen-L Zip w/Mark58E,58\'TeeNee,
Mark55AE,Mark55E,PairMark58E\\\'s,Mark58AE,Mark78AEL, 6-7RBM\'s.Keep EM\' Alive! Always looking to add to collection.

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107315

TallTexan and ALL,

FYI, I talked to a guy from about 3 miles from the auction site & he said that virtually all the boats were abandoned on the property & only the trailers were taken.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107318

remember Hooks in Dallas....what a cool place....cops would show up and tell ya you can steal anything you want, but you can't leave anything there...spent a few afternoons pulling hardware and script while they watched...john

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107320

Very cool score Eduardo!!
I remembered seeing those fenders for the first time on a Crestliner that was a patient at the Mercury Magic Shop.
They would be a great basis for fiberglass reproductions.
I know I would buy a set.
I wonder what the tail light lens match in the automotive industry. 1939 Ford??
Attachments:

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107326

Ed what kind of condition is the trim in around the transom top. it looks like it might work for my performer. That is if you would be willing to part with it.

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107347

The '39 Ford lights look like they will fit, but I haven't tried them on mine yet. Companies make LED versions of 39 Ford taillights that look really good. The original lights look to be nothing more than truck clearance lights.

As for re-pops from fiberglass, a few people make them, but I can't recall who.

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107348

Bruce Gerard,

"PRETTY NEAT-O", as my young niece would say.

Congrads, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107370

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Gentlemen, thank you all for the props again. Appreciate it. It's been definitely an exciting last several days. I'm stoked to have this trailer for sure.

After stopping by a friends house to get more stuff to throw away Saturday morning, my wife and I took the old girl to the dump, all 750+ lbs of boat and large items. They charge $70 for 1/2 ton of stuff here in Sacramento, CA, so my cost was $50. It might be a bit high, but it beats cutting up an old boat in pieces anyday. The very first time I had to dump a boat, I had to get a Dump slip from the DMV. With this place, no questions asked. I'm just glad they have a place that will except a boat.

Attachments:

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107371

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Bruce Gerard wrote:

You beat my purchase price of my H.D. Teenee by 25.00 and your sitll has the tail light lenses! BUT mine was registered with the original black plate. So I guess we are about even?

Good score!

Thanks Bruce, it would be nice indeed to have black plates on this girl, yellow plates even better and year appropriate.

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107372

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
TallTexan wrote:

I had something about like that happen to me at the North TX auction. Even satx78247 was with me and could not believe what some things went for and how cheap other walked away

I went to buy a 1956 Yellow Jacket Boat.
I was going to go as high as $200 for it and the trailer.
The bidding started and ended at $75 with me being the only bidder

Next came a 1957 Yellow Jacket. They started at $75 and I threw out $20 as a starter.
They took it and that was the only bid.

Next they auction a 1958 Yellow Jacket. They asked me what I wanted to start the bidding at; where I said I paid too much for the other 2 so we will start at $10. They started the bidding and I started to walk away thinking someone would bid it up for the hardware. I was about 400ft away I hear over the PA "# 146 wins the bid"(I was) #146

One never knows what things will sell for at a auction.

Wow, those are some super deals. Awesome. I like the vintage look of the Yellow jacket boats. We don't see this model much around this part of the country.

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107373

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Pondrocket44 wrote:

Way to go on the winning bid! My 58' Tee Nee is an eye catcher found it out in a field rotting away under an old Glasspar.

Travis

Thanks Travis, glad to hear that another Tee Nee was saved. Please share a picture of your '58 Tee Nee if you have any. Would love to see it.

Eduardo

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107375

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
woodglass wrote:

Ed what kind of condition is the trim in around the transom top. it looks like it might work for my performer. That is if you would be willing to part with it.

Woodglass, if I would have known a day earlier, I would have removed it for you. Sorry.

There was a large Jervis step pad and frame that I forgot to remove. Two of the four screw heads were stripped so I said I'd remove it later. I totally forgot. Sorry cousin.

Eduardo

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107376

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
If it's a '39 Ford lights, then I'll have to look for a pair. I do have another set of these Flightlight Fin fenders, and the lens that came with them were like Bruce said, truck marker lights.

Tom, I believe Del had these fenders made with fiberglass. Another guy in Florida did the same thing. He advertised his fiberglass Tee Nee fenders on Craigslist.

Eduardo

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107383

Got out my T Nee books and looked in the 1959 there are two trailers that match what you have the first is model OB-70A which is a trailer for a 16 to 18 foot boat with a load range of 1,200 lbs. single coil spring
The other is the Super Duty Model OBC-A. The only differences I can see between the to models is the winch on the super duty looks to be gear reduced and it has two coil springs on the axel thus the 1,500 lb rating for the Super Duty

D
Attachments:

Re:Look what I found... 9 years 6 months ago #107427

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you Del for pictures. This is perfect. Now I know the year. Nice.

I did however check on a Tee Nee catalog I got from Bryan Fenwick hoping that it had this model trailer; no such luck. The catalog is possibly an earlier year.

So with this information, I now know a little bit more on a trialer I got from my cousin. He found a Tee Nee "T" frame trailer with a taller center beam and dual coils on each side. Must be a Heavy Duty "T" frame Tee Nee. This trailer also had the Flightlight Fin Styling fenders, which my cousin kept, and what Del described Super Duty gear reduced winch.

Thanks again Del for sharing this with us. I sent you email.

Eduardo

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online