Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's

What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's 11 years 2 months ago #79921

In looking through different boat model descriptions I notice that there are a lot of terms describing their boats. I'm new here and to boating so I have a Rookie question. I'm trying to figure out what exactly what my boat is. I've seen boats like mine called Cruisers? I was under the impression that a cruiser needed cooking capabilities? It's not a bow rider, its not a ski boat, its not a fishing boat so what is the correct terminology for a boat with the styling of my boat?

www.fiberglassics.com/gallery/category/413-1973-bell-boy-22-sliding-hardtop.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Change is Opportunity!

Re:What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's 11 years 2 months ago #79941

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
My take would put in the "Express Cruiser" title. Really no solid definition anyway, as manufactures call the shots naming boats. Whatever will appeal to the buyer.

Re:What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's 11 years 2 months ago #79947

Got it... so no such thing as a body style like in cars IE. Coupe, Sedan, Roadster, or anything like that?

Change is Opportunity!

Re:What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's 11 years 2 months ago #79983

There are model names that a boat builder calls his boat design and then there are Decriptor Titles that tell a potential buyer what he is looking it.

Depends if there is a door or a curtain. Sleeps anyone. Head. Stove. Reefer. Hanging locker. ETC.

Re:What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's 11 years 2 months ago #80001

I call your boat a "hardtop"

There are general definitions such as runabout, utility, cruiser, etc...., V-hull, tri-hull, tunnel hull, etc..., jon boat...

Andreas

Re:What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's 11 years 2 months ago #80010

Is there a door or a curtain to the cabin area? Sleeps ow many? Head? Stove? Reefer? Hanging locker?

These details would help the boar with the any naming.

Re:What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's 11 years 2 months ago #80011

There is a privacy curtain that snaps in between the steering console roof and back side for the port seat. I think it is just for using the portable head. It is make out of the original material so it must be original equipment. Other than that the bow is all padded and it looks to sleep a couple of people. the dinette breaks down and is wide enough to sleep 2, the driver bucket seat stretches out in old boat style sleeping one more. So Id say it would sleep 5 easy. So its a hard top unless the top is removed in which case it becomes ad 22' Bell Boy I/O ?

Change is Opportunity!

Re:What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's 11 years 2 months ago #80017

Funny, you are close to an IRS definition of a cabin cruiser. The IRS treats boats, RVs, and second homes about the same. If you can sleep in it, cook in it, and it has a toilet, it is an cruiser, RV, or secod home.

I would call it a "sleeper" which is a old Lyman Boat Co. term, since the steering is not under the Hardtop.

Either term is fine.

Re:What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's 11 years 2 months ago #80028

Thanks guys... Actually the steering is under the hard top unless you slide the roof back to the back on its tracks.

Change is Opportunity!

Re:What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's 11 years 2 months ago #80029

Thanks guys... Actually the steering is under the hard top unless you slide the roof back to the back on its tracks.

Change is Opportunity!

Re:What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's 11 years 2 months ago #80031

If the steering wheel is near the windshield and the hardtop slides back and forth to cover / uncover the driver's seat from the sun, you have a Utility that has an optional hardtop.

A popular example of this is a classic Century Coronado. I'll try to find a Century Coronado photo and post it.

Re:What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's 11 years 2 months ago #80032

1965 Century Coronado Utility with optional sliding top
Attachments:

Re:What are the Hull styles for the 70's Disco's 11 years 2 months ago #80033

not as close-up
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6924 guests and no members online