Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is where great FiberGlassics are found and shared. Be it Craigslist, Ebay or your local classifieds, post your sightings here for others to see.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not

Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125502

• 63LStriton
  • 63LStriton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Merc experts - Ed and Doc F - give me some insight on this motor. I am thinking it will look really good on the back of my '80 GT-150.
Basically tell me why I shouldn't. I will get in touch with the seller to get a serial # to verify the year

madison.craigslist.org/bpo/5716699939.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re: Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125506

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
'76 or '77 model. Looks pretty rough. Been sitting somewhere for quite some time. Maybe right on the ground where it now rests!

Do they have the PT&T pump 'cause those aren't cheap and the motor is inoperable without it.

If there's a way, you should try to get it upright, get the covers off, and inspect.

Maybe build a temporary stand, or even something you can hang out the back of the truck to support it upright while you check it out.

Ideally, you could check compression and see what you've got. Hopefully they're even, or no more than 5-10 psi difference between cylinders.

If you are able to do a check, be sure to pull all plugs and spray something like Marvel Mystery Oil or even WD thru the spark plug holes, you don't want to turn it over dry.

Hopefully he has the controls with it, you could go so far as to check spark after you crank it over for a compression check.

If you can't do any of that, at least try to get a wrench on the flywheel nut and turn the crankshaft a number of times. You'll note the resistance of each cylinder and if there's one or more with extremely low compression, it'll feel "soft" compared to the others.

It's definitely cheap, but pushing the bounds of just a "parts" motor. If you can't do much checking-out, I'd make a lesser offer. Just depends on what it looks like inside, if it's clean, worth more; if it looks like a rat was living in it for years, it's a parts motor.

G'luck and let us know how it turns out.....ed

Re:Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125518

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Updates on the motor:

- seller thinks its a 77 or 78
- bought it 6 years ago on a Sea Ray that he junked.
- motor went into barn and hasn't moved since
- he was going to use it on a project but didn't get to it.
- He did not try to start it, but it does turn
- he doesnt know if it runs.
- comes with full controls, gas tank, etc.
- T&T is on the controls, works, and does have the T&T motor
- he mentioned that he has 3-4 props that might come with it, including one that is brass.

He mentioned something about these motors have an issue with the top cylinder going out. Not sure if he was saying that was wrong with this motor, or if he was just sharing a known failing on the motors. I guess that I could use some thoughts on how this could impact the motor.

Probably going to go take a look at it tomorrow. i will try to get my hands on a compression tester.

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

Re:Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125532

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
#1 and #3 tend to run a bit hotter/leaner, so if there's any issues with the engine (poor gas, overheat, detonation) it'll usually show up 1st in those 2 cylinders. Low compression readings in those 2 cylinders are particularly suspect.

So we know it hasn't run in at least 6 years and this guy has never seen it run, so the price just went down!!!

Re:Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125537

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ed - just cuz I am stoopid - is #1 on the top running to #6 on the bottom?

Would this work for a compression tester?

www.harborfreight.com/compression-test-kit-8-pc-62638.html

I thought someone had mentioned that there was an issue with some of the Mercs in getting to the top or bottom cylinders. I am trying to reach my buddy the mechanic to get his pro-grade compression tester, but I wanted to know if that one from HF would work in a pinch.

Guys name is Skeet!! Sounds like a funny old guy who knows his stuff about motors. Hopefully everything pans out and I have a new-to-me Merc 1500 in the garage. Have to start a Merc tower section of the garage!!

Ed - can you shoot me a number I can call you at tomorrow if I run into something so that I can get your opinion. Probably stopping to look at the Merc between 4-5 Central time.

Thanks for all your help!!

Re:Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125539

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The Harbor Freight kit with the flexible hose should be able to get screwed into #6.

If there's still a clearance issue, take off the (4) bolts holding the rear cowling mount to the upper cowl. This'll allow the lower cowl to drop down some, for more clearance.

I'll p.m. you with my phone # shortly.......ed

Re:Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125543

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sounds great - I really appreciate your assistance!!

I did get through to my buddy and he is grabbing his compression tester from the shop for me. I am assuming that will work as long as it has a hose. Otherwise I will buy the POS at HF.

He is putting the compression tester in a big box along with all the parts for a orange 50's something Johnson 15 hp!!! It has been sitting at his place for at least 2 years without being worked on. He will not get out of putting it back together, but at least something will happen versus him stubbing his toes on it. He is my go-to mechanic and is the one that helped me bring the '49 Merc KE-7 back to life. Once we get into setting the points and timing he will be back in the mix.

That will bring me up to an even dozen outboards in the garage assuming I pick up the 1500 tomorrow and the soon to arrive '74 Marlin with the 1350. Do I need to segregate my garage or will I have gang wars between the Johhnyrudes and the Mercs? :P :ohmy:

Re:Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125558

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Good luck with your field testing and hope your trip ends up with a passenger for the ride home. I have a 1978 model 20hp so the stripes you have are not 78. I lost track of stripes between 76 and 77. I just bought a compression tester that I am anxious to see if it fits that bottom cylinder. It is a stubby with no hose. Can't wait to hear about the 2 "new" Towers.

Dr.Go!

Re:Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125559

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
63LStriton wrote:

Do I need to segregate my garage or will I have gang wars between the Johhnyrudes and the Mercs? :P :ohmy:

Yup, you better keep them apart, or there may be a Rumble! :S

I recommend all Johnrudes go to the darkest corner of the garage/shop, whereas the Mercs should be forefront in the light!!! :P

BTW the only compression gage that screws directly into the bottom cyl of the Inlines is a "stubby" like the old Merc tool. I've attached a pic of the Sierra equivalent. Although I've used a flexible-hose-type for years.

But the Doc has an original Merc gauge, Very Cool!
Attachments:

Re:Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125560

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Found a pic of the original!

Attachments:

Re:Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125573

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That is cool. I have all my tools packed and the trailer hooked up. Heading down to meet Skeet around 5 central. Hopefully compression test pans out!!! I will post or send direct to you Ed.

Re:Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125590

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
That looks like my stubby I just bought from John McIntosh (the merc guy from Hayward who has the Merc Decals.

Dr.Go!

Re:Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125628

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Made the trip yesterday to look at the Merc 1500 and talk to Skeet about his toys. Turns out he was an 80 year guy who figured out he had too may projects. Lots of Mustangs and a couple boat prospects. Spent a few hours there looking at the Merc and skeet was quite the talker!!! Ended up picking up the 1500 and a bonus Merc 110 for $450!!! Feels like a great deal for everything that I ended up with.

Safe at home.

Guess which side it was sitting on????

Merc 1500

Yes, it does have the biodegradable wiring included

Re:Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125630

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Looks like a project! Lots of nice extras, too.

1st order of business: pull all the plugs, spray some oil in the plug holes, spray some in the carbs, too, spin 'er over with the starter, then do a compression test. Or were you able to get that done before you bought it?

Looks like he might have had some trouble with the distributor, once you get the wiring sorted and a switchbox mounted/hooked up, there are tests you can do to check the switchbox & coil, and see if the distributor is working.

Congrats, looks like you got a decent deal.......ed

Re:Merc 1500 with power T&T - $450 - tell me why not 8 years 1 month ago #125665

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I was not able to do a full compression test - no time and I didn't want to figure out how to hook up the controls and battery on the fly. I did put a ratcheting breaker on the crank and turned it a few times after soaking each cylinder with WD-40. Turned like silk, and I did not see anything that would suggest one cylinder was noticeably different from the others.

I will try hooking it up and spinning it this week. put the muffs on it to protect the impellor?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online