Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is where great FiberGlassics are found and shared. Be it Craigslist, Ebay or your local classifieds, post your sightings here for others to see.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1971(?) Cobia

1971(?) Cobia 8 years 4 months ago #122087

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Found this on Ebay. It's about 250 miles from me so I'll probably pass on it. So far, it's cheap enough but that additional $299 "document handling fee" (which is B.S.) just plain pisses me off.

I know nothing about outboards but the 85HP Evinrude is probably worth the "handling fee," assuming it runs as the ad claims.

However, I don't think it's a 1971. The styling is too retro. I'd guess it's closer to a 1961. I've seen photos of a 1965 but the windows are pointed at the corners, not rounded like this boat. If anybody can date it, I'd be interested to know exactly what it is and if anybody wants to bid, go for it. I already own 8 boats and I'm out of storage space.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:1971(?) Cobia 8 years 4 months ago #122092

Typical "Boat Angel" :S

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:1971(?) Cobia 8 years 4 months ago #122763

Harold Slama's Southern Fiberglass Products produced the Cobia Sea Queen.

The first Sea Queen's were layed up in 1965.

My 1967 Sea Queen has the parallelagram windows without rounded corners.

According to the owner of the Sea Queen in the ad found at this link the boat is worth nearly $20,000.OO.

pontooncats.com/1965-cobia-sea-queen/

I believe that the person who placed the ad meant to say $1,850.oo. Alternatively, it is possible that the person responsible for writing down the info for the ad made a mistake.

I paid $50 for my boat with a strong running 1973 Evinrude 65 HP Triumph "Looper" and $50 for the trailer. The trailer has more holes in it than a piece of Swiss Cheese. The painted steel trailer has been patched up a couple times. The sole needs R&R. It has the original bow rail, bow light and windshield.

When the boat was originally delivered to New Jersey it arrived with a couple of small cracks in the corners of the cabin window. It is my opinion that the cracks were caused by over tightening of the window trim screws in order to get the window to fit snugly. The owner notified SFP inc. and they sent out a new cabin window right away. For whatever reason that window was never installed and I was fortunate to get it in its original cardboard protective wrapper when I received the boat. When I do the complete restoration the new cabin window will be installed. I will start a build thread soon.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online