Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is where great FiberGlassics are found and shared. Be it Craigslist, Ebay or your local classifieds, post your sightings here for others to see.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1966 carlson

1966 carlson 9 years 11 months ago #101321

now i have seen some strange things done.. but there would be no way i would even get in this boat.. check out that jacked up motor..

lancaster.craigslist.org/boa/4691631517.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1966 carlson 9 years 11 months ago #101323

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
It looks like someone wanted to change the height of the transom rather than get the correct length shaft motor

-Brian

Re:1966 carlson 9 years 11 months ago #101326

I pulled a jackplate off a carlson contender to use on my bass boat. Perhaps it was not unusual to have jack plates on them.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:1966 carlson 9 years 11 months ago #101340

i could see if it was a real jack plate.. but come on.. a chunk of wood.. a piece of metal and some threaded hooks to hold the top in place.. LOL yea that looks real safe to me...

Re:1966 carlson 9 years 11 months ago #101341

Is a 1966 15ft Carlson rated for a 135?

I suspect it is both a 'jacked' up motor to raise it and a soft transom (the metal plate and the 'keeper' metal hooks. Those things have a name, I just can't pull it outta the murky gray matter in my head....

Some boats actually have a 17-18"+/- transom so a long shaft motor is correct, but depending on the boat and how the OB/hull/keel perform, raising the motor might be appropriate.

This doesn't seem to be the case here, but it is often done hoping to tweak a few extra mph outta the combo you've got rather then swapping to a different hull.

I bet this thing really squats stern heavy and low in the water at rest...

Re:1966 carlson 9 years 11 months ago #101344

jbcurt00,

IF you are correct about the hull being "soft" in the transom, it is an ACCIDENT just waiting to happen, imVho.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1966 carlson 9 years 11 months ago #101351

satx78247 wrote:

jbcurt00,

IF you are correct about the hull being "soft" in the transom, it is an ACCIDENT just waiting to happen, imVho.

yours, satx

I absolutely agree.

Re:1966 carlson 9 years 11 months ago #101542

Poor man's jackplate. The transom was raised because they wanted a large motor. Starting in 1969 OMC did not offer V4 engines in short shaft configuration. The only OMC shorties over 75 hp were special racing motors. From 1969 on, the largest OMC short shaft motors available to the public were the inline triples and those topped out at 75HP. The devices on the left / right of the splash well are called turnbuckles. I've seen way worse rigging that this - but that boat looks very sketchy at best.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online