• Page:

TOPIC: It's ALIVE!!!

It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 2 months ago #98322

• Merccooper
  • Merccooper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Some of you know me from my constant questions as I rebuilt my 1960 Merc 300. This is a motor that has been in the family for about 30 years (along with the boat). The boat sank two years ago and I have been rebuilding it off and on since then. Tonight we did a test start and after only a few moments of cranking...it started :laugh: . A little bit more and it was idling not too bad. So...thank you to everyone that has contributed by providing their knowledge. It is very much appreciated! My face and my son's face when it started would have shown how happy we were.
I've still got a ways to go before it is really finished, but knowing that it started and ran was a great feeling!
Thanks again!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 2 months ago #98331

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
That's awesome Tim, glad to hear you got the old girl fired up again! That euphoric feeling when they come back to life is priceless, share some pics and maybe a video when you get back from vacation?

Mark

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 2 months ago #98336

Allright!
It's great when it all comes together.Now go have fun!

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 2 months ago #98345

here is my brought back to life . I made a one of a kind merc 400 Q.KG9Q tower and lower 400 cowls and wrap 500 power head. Great feeling doing 63MPH
Attachments:

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 2 months ago #98351

Nice Dave. good that you know how to mix and match to get what you want.

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 2 months ago #98353

Thanks

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 1 month ago #98927

• Merccooper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Well....the happiness drained away after I got it to the lake (river actually). I should have known that rushing to complete it would not be a good thing. On my last post I mentioned that we got it running. That was very late at night the day before going to the cottage for vacation. Once I had the time to try it in the river (and not in the bucket in the dark) I found that it was leaking gas at the carb filter and that it wasn't peeing. Not having the tools or the time at the cottage, I parked it. So now, hopefully over the next week or two I'll have the chance to go back to the drawing board!

Here is how it currently looks. (The mid section is from a Mark 35a I picked up for parts. I didn;t have time to sand and prime it yet)

Dave, that is an awesome looking Merc you have created! I hope mine will look even have that good someday.
Attachments:

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 1 month ago #98951

Typically, the fuel dripping from the carb filter silo area is caused by old needle & seat parts, or misaligned or damaged cork washers for the top & bottom of the filter in the 'silo'. OR,...Perhaps the silo just didn't get properly seated on the bottom cork washer??

Assuming you have a good impeller properly installed and the water tube is properly inserted into the rubber grommet,...And the port side of the block (side spark plug wires pass by) doesn't get warm to the touch (under 100+/-f & ideally around ambient water temp) when the beast is running in water deep enough to cover the top edge of the lower unit:

Often the passageway in the block at the tell-tail (or pee-stream exit) gets plugged by dry corrosion flakes (not so much in fresh water, but that can depend on the minerals in the specific water way).
Sometimes this blockage can be 'rotor-rooted' out with a piece of fine wire - like #16 stranded with insulated coating or 'mechanic's wire', by ram-rodding the wire up-n-down in the tell-tail exit about 3-4" while the beast is running in a barrel or in the lake, etc. Since this passageway is not a straight hole, a small drill bit can not be used to clear this style passageway.
Another way to clear this passageway is the give a few blasts of compressed air (75-100 psi is best) up the exit while the beast is running in water.
If these efforts don't clear the passageway, don't be too alarmed. Typically if the passageway is plugged much, the water that "should" be coming out simply takes the path of least resistance and exits out the exhaust.

SO,...If the block is not getting hot and you are still unable to get a pee stream, I would recommend moving the tell-tail exit port to the top of the block.
There you will find an 1/8"NPT male plug that is removed either by a regular screw-driver or a 7/16" socket that makes an excellent tell-tail exit. Simply replace the plug with a 90 degree male fitting that is barbed for push-on hose that can be routed out one of the (2) unused 5/16" diameter holes in the aft area of the engine pan.
I go a step further and thread the hole in the bottom of the pan with 1/8"NPT and thread a straight fitting (with a male barb fitting on the 'top' end) down into the hole, and then thread another 1/8"NPT male by 90 degree male barbed fitting fitting up into the threaded hole from the bottom and point the end of the barbed fitting out to the side so the tell-tail stream can be seen from the helm.

WARNING:
Not all Mercs can use the factory hole in the top of the block for a tell-tail, but all of the little 4 cylinder Mercs - like yours - can. This is due to the design of the water jackets in the block inside this hole.
Doc

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 1 month ago #98952

• Merccooper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for all the detail you provided Doc!
Yes, I'm pretty sure the gas leak is from a bad cork washer. I was trying to take a short cut (on time) and use an already well used washer. Now I'm paying the the price.

I sure like the idea of the alternate tell-tail. Something I will for sure do.

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 1 month ago #99216

• Merccooper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Doc, would you (or anyone else on the board) have a picture that could be posted of the alternate tell tail installation?
Thanks

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 1 month ago #99223

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
I got this from the Doc before. I can't elaborate more on it, so maybe he can.
Attachments:

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 1 month ago #99254

Attached is a picture showing where you will find the alternative position to install a tell-Tail on a 300 4 cylinder "Thunderbolt" powerhead.
Remove the hole plug, and replace it with a 1/8"male NPT to male push-on barb 90 degree fitting sized to match whatever Tell-Tail hose or tubing you select to use.
Either 1/4" or 5/16" I.D. tubing will produce a good Tell-Tail pee stream.
Doc
Attachments:

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 1 month ago #99269

• Merccooper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the pic Doc. Beautiful motor!
Interesting, mine doesn't have a plug in that location. The motor is a Merc 300 E serial number 1328408. I guess I'll tap a new hole. I have another engine block that I have been using for parts. I'll take the exhaust plate off so I can hopefully determine the correct location for the hole.

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 1 month ago #99273

about 1 1/4 in x 1 1/4 in from the corner

Re:It's ALIVE!!! 10 years 1 month ago #99279

• Merccooper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Dave. That is exactly what I estimated after taking off the exhaust plate. I guess tomorrow I'll go out and get a tap set!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online