Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1962 merc 1000 distributor

1962 merc 1000 distributor 10 years 4 months ago #95637

I have a 1962 merc 1000 I wasn't getting spark so I pulled the distributor apart and found my points were cracked and broke. So before I pay $100 for a set of points I wanted to know if any of the later model distributors are compatible with my motor or if anyone has been able to convert theirs to solid state ignition. I've tried to find pertronix, duras park, or DUI kits and couldn't find anything! Im new here and I couldn't find any old discussions on this. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1962 merc 1000 distributor 10 years 3 months ago #95676

You have a couple of options actually.

First, new points can be found online for a modest price (I think I paid $35 or so for a set). So you can get some new points and do all that set up going by the manual.

You can source a later vintage (I think like up to 1968, but the experts on this site can give the correct date range) electronic ignition system and swap that in. Consideration there is finding one that is in good shape and complete and for a reasonable price (I paid $70 for a complete distrib and wires and though in good shape, it will would need to be gone through. It's sitting in a box untouched.

As for points conversion kits like pertronix or mallory , I looked all around and even called them to confirm they dont make kits for these vintage outboards. I and at least one other gent on the site took a Pertonix kit and retro-fitted it into the vintage distributor. In my case it required extensive modifications. Actually, hoping to test mine on the water for the first time this weekend.

Re:1962 merc 1000 distributor 10 years 3 months ago #95718

Hi,
Although I am human (and therefore wrong sometimes), I do not think that $35 breaker points will be easily found presently, as they are all but extinct in commercial hands. Yes, the 1967-69 6-cylinder Thunderbolt systems can be bolted-on, but the distributor wiring is typically rotten, and the wiring connection points are encased in potting, so it is quite a chore to successfully do so (replace the wiring). There is a firm which will remanufacture these (and we can help if desired), but the ignition coils and ignition switch must be swapped-out, the remote control and internal wiring harnesses would both be wise to swap-out, and the ignition module is also required (a unit is sold with both a module and a compact coil however), so one has to be very lucky to purchase serviceable used parts, or it is pretty costly to perform the swap. However with reasonable care, 25 years is typical before you would have to revisit this again, and the spark voltage is 40,000 volts versus the original.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:1962 merc 1000 distributor 10 years 3 months ago #95730

Joe is probably right on the points sets. I checked the source I used before (maybe a year ago?) and they no longer stock them

Re:1962 merc 1000 distributor 10 years 3 months ago #95734

Thank you guys a ton I'm going to look into the 67-69 thunderbolt dist joe. All my wiring is pretty decent still I think. I don't think my motor has a lot of hours on it and I'm pretty sure it has been in a garage most of its life and also peter let me know how the retrofit pertronix system works and maybe ill bug you for some more details!!

Re:1962 merc 1000 distributor 10 years 3 months ago #96166

Well the Pertronix water test met with mixed results. She runs, but after a few minutes starts to miss-fire. And then when I took it out (and only by a few feet from the doc mind you), she wouldn't open up to full throttle. Just bogged right down. Seems as though she wasn't advancing.

The cause is most likely my own impatience when I made some off hand adjustments to the distro and cable linkages out of order of the proper approach. So now I'll have to go back through it all and reset it.

On the positive side, before I screwed around randomly with adjustments, she starts from cold with a click of the key, revs smooth, and idled smooth (though too high an idle, which is what lead me to the random adjustments on the linkages and carbs).

I know the conversion will work, I just need to get it set up right. The question will then be it's longevity, which only usage will tell.

For now, if I was in your position, I'd look to source some NOS points and set her up stock, if for no other reason than its a good way to really come to understand these engines.

Re:1962 merc 1000 distributor 10 years 3 months ago #96172

Good to know thank you for the advice. I just got two more of these motors so I'm going to set one up with points. So I'm up and running. And then I'm gonna try pertronix and or the thunderbolt system. I deliver propane for a living so I'm always in back yards. And find a lot of good deals.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online