Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: remote starter

remote starter 10 years 4 months ago #95507

I would like to have a trigger or push button remote starter so that I can start or just crank the engine while standing next to it rather than having to run back and forth between the engine and the controls. I went to the auto store thinking I cold pop one off the shelf but no. All they have are these elaborate kits to convert a modern car to a remote start.

Seems that it would be way easy to construct. Could I not attach a leads (wire) to either side of a standard 12v switch (like a horn button) and attach one lead to each of the small terminals on the starter solenoid. Press the button to crank the motor.

I had a '68 mustang as a kid and the only way to start it was with a handy dandy screw driver that I would lay across the solenoid terminals to kick the starter over (it was even labeled "handy dandy starter")

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: remote starter 10 years 4 months ago #95512

I don't see why a button switch would not work

Re: remote starter 10 years 4 months ago #95521

a horn swith or other hevy duty switch on a minimum of 12 gauge wire. also get 2 heavy duty aligator clips. I just bought a remote starter switch last year at Autozone. here is one from Oreilly's.
www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/KDT0/124/N2344.oap?ck=Search_N2344_-1_2881&pt=N2344&ppt=C0103

Re:remote starter 10 years 4 months ago #95525

are you looking for something just temporary for multi use..a remote starter button like linked above will work perfect. or something permanent on a engine.. my little 9.8 has a waterproof button thats mounted in the side of the lower pan by the shift lever.. for the starter.. this is what i use..

shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-conduct-tite-electrical-switches-specialty-starter-switches-push-button-sealed-85984/25984905-P?searchTerm=push+button

Re:remote starter 10 years 4 months ago #95532

Thanks gents...

Just looking for one for temp use when doing maintenance on the motor. There is an AutoZone nearby that I will hit up on the way home. If they have one I'll just buy it. Else, wire one up.

Re:remote starter 10 years 4 months ago #95575

Here is the Mercury Marine tool for the job :)
Doc
Attachments:

Re:remote starter 10 years 3 months ago #95692

looks too simple to bother paying for. Thinking about it, rather than attaching one lead to each of the starter solenoid's small terminals, shouldn't I attach one to the positive terminal on the solenoid, and one to the positive terminal on the battery?

Re:remote starter 10 years 3 months ago #95695

Yes only if you use very heavy switch and wire. the solenoid takes the heavy load.

Re:remote starter 10 years 3 months ago #95847

Peter,
The remote start switch is basically a jumper wire between the small yellow wire on the solenoid & the primary large red terminal on the solenoid.
If you have a control box plugged in for power you can use a 16 gauge wire with alligator clips on each end to spin the Merc.
Clip onto the small yellow terminal and touch (don't clamp) onto the primary red terminal.
Leave the ignition key 'off' for compression testing, or 'on' (with spark plug leads removed) for timing, etc.
Remember all,...
If you don't have a control box connected, and are doing tests that spin the motor, remove and tape off the (2) yellow wires that go to the rectifier from the stator to avoid breaking the rectifier.
I also strongly encourage removal of the propeller during any testing that puts you standing near the propeller.
Doc

Re:remote starter 10 years 3 months ago #95874

easy peasy. Worked great.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online