• Page:

TOPIC: 9.8 dies after 30 seconds

9.8 dies after 30 seconds 10 years 4 months ago #95273

• dlatshaw
  • dlatshaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
So got the mfg out today to test the kicker 9.8. Starts and runs OK for a bit. Then it just dies. Starts right back up but dies again. Couldn't do much trouble shooting with the girls on the boat. Hooked up to same gas tank the 1000 was using.
Ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re: 9.8 dies after 30 seconds 10 years 4 months ago #95343

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Could it be that the fuel pump in the little 9.8 can't pull the gas from the main tank?

I ask this because i started it in the driveway, in a tank of water, on the main gas tank. After about a minute ( can't run at WOT ) it died. The bulb on the gas line was soft and i could hear gas filling the bowl after a few pumps.

I put a small 3 gallon portable tank in the splashwell and fire'd it up. Ran as long as i wanted it to.

So i'll take it to the lake this week to test, but we leave next saturday for OBX. Hope this works out...

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re: 9.8 dies after 30 seconds 10 years 4 months ago #95444

dlatshaw wrote:

Could it be that the fuel pump in the little 9.8 can't pull the gas from the main tank?

I ask this because i started it in the driveway, in a tank of water, on the main gas tank. After about a minute ( can't run at WOT ) it died. The bulb on the gas line was soft and i could hear gas filling the bowl after a few pumps.

I put a small 3 gallon portable tank in the splashwell and fire'd it up. Ran as long as i wanted it to.

So i'll take it to the lake this week to test, but we leave next saturday for OBX. Hope this works out...

I was going to suggest the fuel pump, try priming via the ball while its running to keep up the fuel supply, if this keeps it running then I would dissect the pump

Re: 9.8 dies after 30 seconds 10 years 4 months ago #95445

also check for leaks between the fuel connector and pump

Re: 9.8 dies after 30 seconds 10 years 4 months ago #95484

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks, I'll have a look at the lines and the pump.

When i had it running in the driveway on the main tank, i would pump the primer and it would stay running.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re: 9.8 dies after 30 seconds 10 years 4 months ago #95497

Make sure the small 'pulse' hose that goes from the fuel pump to the crankcase is as short as possible and made out of firm hose as any loss of pulse by the expanding & contracting of this hose will cause a loss of diaphragm pulse in the little fuel pump.
I've been known to even slide a small spring inside this hose - like was required on the pan mount fuel pumps on the inline-6 to keep the crankcase pulse delivery hoses from pulsing.
The spring must not be able to slide into the fitting on the crankcase, but small enough to firmly fit inside the pulse hose.
Doc

Re: 9.8 dies after 30 seconds 10 years 3 months ago #96284

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Turns out it was the way i connected the kicker to my main tank. I used a new fuel line with it's own bulb and bigger hose than whats on the original.

When i plugged the 9.8 into a small 3 gallon i had with me, it ran fan.

So either having two primer bulbs, or two different diameter hoses was causing a loss of fuel flow. I think the engine was emptying the fuel out of the thicker hose, and the thinner one couldn't fill it quick enough.

I plan on replacing all the old fuel lines in the boat and motor, so it shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Didn't even run the little guy at the beach. Didn't even get it out of the truck. I think the way i mounted it is too far away from center. The boat really leans to starboard with it on. Either need to move it in closer to center, or redistribute some weight, or both.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re: 9.8 dies after 30 seconds 10 years 3 months ago #96293

I thought the small hose on the later 9.8 is for oil recirc and the pulse is through a port in the carburetor flange.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online