Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Prop question

Prop question 10 years 8 months ago #88128

I'm running a cupped 3 blade stainless steel Quicksilver Vengeance prop with an 18" pitch on my '63 Merc, and it only gets to max rpm (5200) when I trim the living heck out of it almost to the point of no return. I want to get max rpm without trimming it so much, and maybe even get a bit more rpm, like 5600 or 5800. Where can I even find props in pitch lower than 18 that will fit, and what do you think? 17" 16"? Got a link that will lead me to props that would fit?

Thanks for any help. I want to finally dial this baby in right this year!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Prop question 10 years 8 months ago #88130

each 1in pitch will change the rpm's 200-300 rpm.
send it out and have it repitched to 16.should give you 5600-5800

Re:Prop question 10 years 8 months ago #88131

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Maybe send it to a good prop shop for knocking some the cup out, or what they know to do. Just give all the facts, and give that a shot.

Re:Prop question 10 years 8 months ago #88145

that engine ran a 13-13.25 diameter prop, are you running 14?

Re: Prop question 10 years 8 months ago #88158

dave bernard wrote:

each 1in pitch will change the rpm's 200-300 rpm.
send it out and have it repitched to 16.should give you 5600-5800

My local prop guy says he can only do one inch, not 2.

Re:Prop question 10 years 8 months ago #88159

Ponyboy wrote:

that engine ran a 13-13.25 diameter prop, are you running 14?

No clue. It's a Quicksilver Vengeance prop, and they're not made anymore. I can't even get to the boat (snow), but may have a pic of the prop at home. This isn't urgent anyways, I just want to get a handle on it. Talked to Tim Calmes yesterday, he was a big help.

Gonna be gone the next couple days to a funeral back up home (Massena NY), back late Saturday night.

Frank

Re:Prop question 10 years 8 months ago #88200

Frank, the vengence prop is a progressive pitch prop, so that rating of 18 P is more of an average pitch. The leading edge of the prop is likely around 16 and the trailing edge (with cup)is likely around 20P. If you have the cup removed you may be in the ball park. You will loose the "holding" power that cup gives you though and you may not be able to trim out as much. I would try a 17P aluminum prop first and see where you are with rpm etc, The prop shops are reluctant to depitch stainless props.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Prop question 10 years 8 months ago #88329

Daveswaves wrote:

Frank, the vengence prop is a progressive pitch prop, so that rating of 18 P is more of an average pitch. The leading edge of the prop is likely around 16 and the trailing edge (with cup)is likely around 20P. If you have the cup removed you may be in the ball park. You will loose the "holding" power that cup gives you though and you may not be able to trim out as much. I would try a 17P aluminum prop first and see where you are with rpm etc, The prop shops are reluctant to depitch stainless props.

17P's are very hard to find to fit that old motor Dave. Seems to me when looking that all the 17P's were aluminum too, and I think I need the cupped stainless for boat performance other than speed/rpm.

I need some pricey work done on my F-150, and when that is done, I'll be getting more serious about a prop. Summer is just around the corner! I think...

Frank

Re:Prop question 10 years 8 months ago #88334

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Next time your in the area look me up, I have a 17" SS from the 1100 that you are more than welcome to try out.I think that just about hit 6G with perfect conditions and no PT&T.Slightly bigger hull with slightly bigger engine than yours so it should turn pretty much the same numbers.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Prop question 10 years 8 months ago #88378

Boy, that would be great John! Not sure when we'll be out that way again. I know the kids are coming this way the 3rd weekend next month, but we'll probably be out that way before boating season!

Thanks man,

Frank

Re:Prop question 10 years 8 months ago #88387

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Frank,

I think I have an aluminum 16 off a 1965? I6 90 hp? not sure it will fit your engine or not.. I will take a look at what it is next time I am in the basement.

Re:Prop question 10 years 8 months ago #88391

stashm2 wrote:

Hi Frank,

I think I have an aluminum 16 off a 1965? I6 90 hp? not sure it will fit your engine or not.. I will take a look at what it is next time I am in the basement.

Aluminum didn't seem to work when I was trying stuff Jesse, but it sure couldn't hurt to try. If it's off a '65, it's probably 15 spline and would fit. I'd love to at least give it a try. Maybe it would be like saving a bunch of $ on my car insurance... if it worked!

Thanks!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online