Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: need help fast with my merc 1000 PLEASE

need help fast with my merc 1000 PLEASE 11 years 2 months ago #80241

I recently acquired an old glassmaster boat with a 1969 (i think )mercury 100 hp "merc 1000" outboard. s/n 1768758 . this is my first boat ! ive had her out a few times and noticed that water was not coming out of the "pee hole". so i decided to change the impeller. It all seemed to go well EXCEPT ,..... like others I dont have the gearshifter shaft aligned proprely. the prop spins (not slow) when in neutral. I think I can figure this out but, the BIGGER issue that has me is this middle section that fits between the lower unit and the middle or main unit.I dont remember which way was up on it , and it seems to fit both ways ..does any one have a picture or schematic or any kind of breakdown on it ? i have looked at the crappy microfiche on boats.com and they didnt help at all. ANYTHIN is appreciated.
thanks fellow boaters

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:need help fast with my merc 1000 PLEASE 11 years 2 months ago #80243

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I dont know, but cant sleep so will try to come back and see how this turns out:) I'm thinking it might be an extender to make a short shaft to long shaft? If so would think either way would work? The real brains will give the correct answer when they wake up. Hope ya didnt over heat the motor...

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:need help fast with my merc 1000 PLEASE 11 years 2 months ago #80251

the solid face where the shift shaft goes is the top.

Re:need help fast with my merc 1000 PLEASE 11 years 2 months ago #80253

Hi,
First, the serial number given is a 1965 model (there were no Merc 1000 models produced in 1966 or 1967 - a 95 and 110 horsepower were).
As to the upper and lower shift shaft alignments, I personally often prefer to place both into neutral, and assemble by turning the flywheel to align to the driveshaft.
As Bill states, you seem to have an aftermarket brand 5" extension kit. On the one we have, the bottom has a spray plate (or fins) cast integrally.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:need help fast with my merc 1000 PLEASE 11 years 2 months ago #80254

Hi Dave!

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:need help fast with my merc 1000 PLEASE 11 years 2 months ago #80257

thanks dave , i have it installed that way now, the side with the fins is on the bottom and mates to the same pattern on the l/u. it just doesnt look quite right, but the way that the plastic cams sit on the shift shaft base will only allow me to install it one way. im about to take it back apart to fix the shifter problem (installed in gear) so ill post a few pics if i can, thank you for your time and help, i cant express enough thanks to everyone who has replyed

Re:need help fast with my merc 1000 PLEASE 11 years 2 months ago #80259

can anyone who has a similar motor recommend the best repair/service manual. Seloc seems to be the most popular , however i dont always follow the masses, thanks

Re:need help fast with my merc 1000 PLEASE 11 years 2 months ago #80261

thanks ferguson,
the shift shaft stayed with the l/u when i removed, is this normal ? should it be installed this way or do i want to slide it back into the main unit before reinstalling ?

Re:need help fast with my merc 1000 PLEASE 11 years 2 months ago #80317

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
discoboater wrote:

can anyone who has a similar motor recommend the best repair/service manual. Seloc seems to be the most popular , however i dont always follow the masses, thanks

I WOULD SUGGEST THE MERC SERVICE MANUAL FOR '65 AND PRIOR. C-90-25500, YOU MIGHT ASK JOE OR LOOK ON CRAIGS LIST/EBAY? THINK THERES A REPRINT AND MAYBE A CD... NICE YOU HAVE A '65 1000 AND IF THATS A 5" ADAPTER YOU CAN ALWAYS PUT IT ON A 15" TRANSOM WITH A BIT OF SWITCHING (JOE WOULD KNOW) BUT SAVE THE ADAPTER. THAT MOTOR IS NICE ON A G3 :)

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:need help fast with my merc 1000 PLEASE 11 years 2 months ago #80321

I just changed the impeller on my '63 1000 and hope I got it right. It's in neutral when the shifter is in neutral and in gear forward and back, but I haven't had it in the water yet to make sure forward is forward and reverse is backwards! Apparently I got the vanes right as it's peeing both from the port side and from the tube I have coming off the top of the head. I may get it out this weekend if I'm real lucky. Last time I had it in was in Silver Lake (NY) 1st Saturday in June. I live close to the Hudson River and it's been like a mud bath lately. One of these days I hope to live near a lake I can boat in!

Frank

Re:need help fast with my merc 1000 PLEASE 11 years 2 months ago #80328

yeah...and you can invite your friends up..hehe

Re:need help fast with my merc 1000 PLEASE 11 years 2 months ago #80391

thanks bill ! im looking for it now

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online