TOPIC: Need info on my Merc

Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80203

• Modeler
  • Modeler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

Looking for information on the engine that came on my Dorsett. It's an old school-looking Merc 50, possibly a "Classic 50"? It's a 4 cylinder with two carburetors, is manual start with a non-toothed flywheel but there is a bracket that is very clearly for a starter (with a different flywheel). The lower unit has thru-hub exhaust as well. The timing sticker seems to indicate that it's a 1980 model. The s/n is 7 digits starting with an "8" and doesn't come up on any of the online searches (they all require an 8th digit). The sticker also says the engine was made in Australia.

What h/p is this engine? If I can't find parts with the s/n, how do I go about ordering the right parts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80208

Post the entire serial number if you can and we will tell you how to proceed. Pretty easy to find parts for that engine as they were made in great numbers and used a lot of generic parts between the years.

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80209

depending on the year either 50-45 hp

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80210

• Modeler
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
gfgarland wrote:

Post the entire serial number if you can and we will tell you how to proceed. Pretty easy to find parts for that engine as they were made in great numbers and used a lot of generic parts between the years.

Here it is, 8044761.

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80211

Hi,
I can tell from the bolt-on steering attaching bracket and the serial number provided that you have a 1977 Australian production Merc 500. If it is not assembled from more than one outboard, you should be able begin your parts search. My family's marine business can likely help if needed.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80212

• Modeler
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ferguson_Poole wrote:

Hi,
I can tell from the bolt-on steering attaching bracket and the serial number provided that you have a 1977 Australian production Merc 500. If it is not assembled from more than one outboard, you should be able begin your parts search. My family's marine business can likely help if needed.

Regards,
Joe
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Interesting. I should mention that it has provision for tilt-tube steering, and I believe that's how it was set up on the previous boat (the guy I bought the boat from says he bought a second boat just to get this engine for the Dorsett). Here's the sticker that made me think it was a 1980:

Here's a picture of the motor as a whole. The cowling says "Mercury 50" and there's an appropriately aged sticker from a local dealer who's still in business on the cowling as well:

Maybe it's a pieced together engine? Maybe a different bracket? Would there be a s/n on the engine or lower unit anywhere?

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80255

Hi,
Your pictures (Thank You), do show 1980-83 decals. The swivel bracket seems to be older than the rest. Yes, there is a serial number (unless the cylinder block was once a new replacement). I presently cannot recall where it was stamped in this time frame, but on top, or high up, (of the cylinder block) was often seen. Stamped into a welch plug is another that comes to mind from this time.

Regards,
Joe

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80282

That seems odd to have such a "new" motor and it only be manual starting. I'm sure it would be easy to retrofit.

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80286

• Modeler
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I think so. Like I said, there's a bracket for a starter. A new toothed flywheel would be needed too. We shall see...

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80535

• Modeler
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ferguson_Poole wrote:

Hi,
Your pictures (Thank You), do show 1980-83 decals. The swivel bracket seems to be older than the rest. Yes, there is a serial number (unless the cylinder block was once a new replacement). I presently cannot recall where it was stamped in this time frame, but on top, or high up, (of the cylinder block) was often seen. Stamped into a welch plug is another that comes to mind from this time.

Regards,
Joe

Hi Joe,

Are you the person at that e-mail address? If not, can I reference this thread if I send an e-mail? Looks like I'll be going with tilt-tube steering (old pull-pull cable system is seized up) and I'll need a steering linkage for this engine.

Greg

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80551

Hi Greg,
Yes, you can contact me through the family business. I did send to you an e-mail also, containing some information on the link arm, and about conversion to electric starting.

Regards,
Joe

Profile Picture:

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80562

• Modeler
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ferguson_Poole wrote:

Hi Greg,
Yes, you can contact me through the family business. I did send to you an e-mail also, containing some information on the link arm, and about conversion to electric starting.

Regards,
Joe

Thanks Joe!

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80571

Hi Greg,
My name is Paul and I was checking out this thread to gather info for my 1972 Mercury. I noticed that you said you'll be replacing the steering. How bad is the unit you have? I'm looking for one for my 59 Jet Deville because the unit I have now is wrong and the boat has been carved up to accommodate the new steering (looks terrible). I can't find any of those helms anywhere for cable pulley so if you might be throwing it out, please don't because I would be interested in it.
You can send me an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and let me know. I will gladly pay for the shipping of all of the steering components that you have for that system.

Thanks, Paul

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80574

• Modeler
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Paul P wrote:

Hi Greg,
My name is Paul and I was checking out this thread to gather info for my 1972 Mercury. I noticed that you said you'll be replacing the steering. How bad is the unit you have? I'm looking for one for my 59 Jet Deville because the unit I have now is wrong and the boat has been carved up to accommodate the new steering (looks terrible). I can't find any of those helms anywhere for cable pulley so if you might be throwing it out, please don't because I would be interested in it.
You can send me an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and let me know. I will gladly pay for the shipping of all of the steering components that you have for that system.

Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul,

The unit I have is rusted, but I imagine it could be freed with appropriate persuasion, likely involving a vice, a wrench and some heat. I'll send you some pictures later on this evening. I'd be happy to ship it all to you, I think it will all fit in a Medium Flat-Rate USPS box.

Greg

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80581

Thank you Greg, I appreciate it. I will keep an eye on my email for the pics, and then we can set up something to get the shipping done.

Paul

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80583

• Modeler
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Paul P wrote:

Thank you Greg, I appreciate it. I will keep an eye on my email for the pics, and then we can set up something to get the shipping done.

Paul

Sounds good Paul. I forgot that we're headed out to dinner with some family tonight, so I won't get the pictures to you until tomorrow.

Greg

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80584

• Modeler
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Paul P wrote:

Paul

Sounds good Paul. I forgot that we're headed out to dinner with some family tonight, so I won't get the pictures to you until tomorrow.

Greg

Re:Need info on my Merc 11 years 2 months ago #80589

No problem, have a great night out.

Paul

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.728 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online