• Page:

TOPIC: Compression check

Compression check 11 years 3 months ago #79712

• Normspeed
  • Normspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I ran a compression check for the first time since I got the motor. Three things popped up. First, the test.
1. 105
2. 92
3. 105
4. 100

Second, in #2 plug, lodged between the plug shell and the insulator, was a tiny piece of crud, much smaller than, say, a grain of rice. I popped it out to examine it. The bad news is, I could pick it up with a magnet. I suspect #2 piston has a broken ring.

Third, #4 plug was slightly wetter looking than the others. As I examined it, I realized the post connector was 1/4 turn loose. Not just the screw-on cap, but the whole post. See pic. I replaced with a fresh plug, but just wondering if it was even a problem. The post is threaded and I easily tightened it up. Kept it in the boat tool box for emergency use. Anyone else ever run across a Champion plug that did this? The plugs are about one year old.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Compression check 11 years 3 months ago #79793

Unfortunately that is par for the course with Champion plugs, use them at your peril. The quality of this once proud name is in the toilet at the moment and I hope and pray that they get it together before it is too late. I run NGK in all my engines right now.

Re:Compression check 11 years 3 months ago #79800

• Normspeed
  • Normspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
That's too bad. My next set will be NGKs. I've run them in my motorcycles for years and never had this type of problem with them.

Re:Compression check 11 years 2 months ago #79828

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Yep, I quit using Champs long ago. Only surface gaps in the Merc stack. NGK,s in everything else now, other boat motors, all my bikes.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online