Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reliable power at a price.

Reliable power at a price. 11 years 3 months ago #79106

• DMCI
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Prior to joining the Seattle version of classic boats, I attended a couple of events and noticed a certain syndrome. That is people was really nice boats, with vintage outboards on. Typically four cycle outboards with blue and white paint on them. You know the ones.

I noticed typically they would start the thing up get it running really well and then hundred yards offshore, be shut down with wrenches out.

But I was so intrigued, that I rushed out and bought a couple of pretty decent examples of Skagit Plastics runabouts. In the main they came with late 80s Evinrudes a between 50 and 70 hp. The guys with the 60s vintage blue-and-white four cycle 55 hp outboards are not at the point where they are selling them yet, because a few are excellent mechanics and with the lack of a factory parts supply in the main, they can fix and repair those engines with surplus parts and keep them in wonderful operating condition.

Because of the prohibition on two cycle outboards in some of the local lakes (and more and more all the time.) I judged it time to take the plunge into modern four cycle power units. I therefore purchased a Mercury 90 for my 18 convertible and a Mercury 60 Bigfoot for my 16 foot Ski Master. So far because of commitments fisherman and the fact that I am only a cruising buddy I am low on the dealership priority list so I have only now just taken delivery of the installed Mercury 90. Now in this day of really big power on 25 to 35 foot Deepvees, 90 may seem rather impotent. However I am here to tell you anything in 18 Skagit runabout and put a 90 on it you have a reasonably spectacular ride. And because the hull has a rather calm 10 degree or so dead rise the boat is not squirrely at all.

The speed, while not what I am used to with twin Bravos on a 30 footer, is very respectable and quite fun to drive. So far I am estimating speed in the high 30s, low 40s. The Skagit hull is very stable, but tends slap in a chop.

I have included a couple of pictures of the builders (installers) tests.

Here are the pictures of the $12,000 propulsion package. The boat I bought for under $1500. The price included installation of new steering, controls, fuel tank and bilge pump.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online