Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New member with a 1969 Mercury 1000 Outboard

New member with a 1969 Mercury 1000 Outboard 11 years 3 months ago #78599

Hey folks. A friend and I recently purchased a nice 1969 V176 Swinger that has a 69 Mercury 1000 on it that still runs pretty good. Still, the old beast needs a bit of work starting with a new internal fuel line, and a rebuild of the carbs. I know I'm going to get in there and find other things that need doing and I'm looking forward to the support of the community. I'm up here just North of Vancouver Canada in a town called Squamish. If there's any Mercury experts out there who like sharing information on these towers of power I'm all ears. Any information on good parts sources etc...will be appreciated. I'm a video producer and I'm planning on documenting much of what I do on video so other people can learn what I learn.
Nice to meet you all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New member with a 1969 Mercury 1000 Outboard 11 years 3 months ago #78600

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
We;come aboard. Lots of fine folks on this forum. We should be able to help you with any problems you encounter. Worst case you could visit The Dr Frankenmerc he's located in the Seattle area.
Good luck

Re:New member with a 1969 Mercury 1000 Outboard 11 years 3 months ago #78612

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Welcome to Fiberglassics! The carb & fuel line maint is a good start; you can get what they call a "packing kit" which has all the little gaskets etc you'll need for an "R&R" of the carbs.

I'd also recommend replacing the carb floats; the old-style floats can deteriorate from ethanol-containing fuels. The new-design floats are much better in that respect.

Also plan on replacing the water pump impeller with a new factory item. Cheap insurance for the Ol' Gal!

We'll be anxious to see any pics you may have of your rig, and be sure to post any updates on your progress.

And let us know when to sign up for your Mercury DVD!!!

Cheers........ed

p.s. I'm just an hour away from the Good Doc Frankenmerc, here in the great PNW. He's a great guy!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online