Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 25hp mercury

25hp mercury 11 years 5 months ago #77103

hi,i am to fix an erratic idle on a merc 25 hp ser# C173140. I have 120 pounds compression in each cylinder, it starts and runs but at idle it speeds up and then slows down and eventually stalls. Using my timing light it seems like it has good consistent spark on both cylinders, i pulled the carb and looked in the fuel bowl and cleaned the idle passage, and checked the needle valve and that seems to be working ok. I am thinking it is a fuel related problem but am not that familiar with this type of choke and fuel pump so i was wondering if anyone would have any ideas about how i should proceed.
thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:25hp mercury 11 years 5 months ago #77155

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I would agree that it sounds like a fuel system problem. First get a rebuild kit for the Carb & the fuel pump. Take note of the order that the check valves & gaskets & diaphram come out when you disassemble the pump. Be sure to get them back in in the correct order. The little pump on the side of the carb may also have a problem that I don't think comes with the kit but can be purchased separately I think only from a mercury dealer. While you at it check all of the bleed lines to be sure there are no leaks.

Re:25hp mercury 11 years 4 months ago #77225

thanks tim, the bleed lines look good, i will start with the fuel pump, hopefully that will do the trick, by the way what does the little solenoid type thing mounted on the top of the carb do? None of my books cover these later models.
thanks

Re:25hp mercury 11 years 4 months ago #77240

Hi,
It acts as the choke solenoid by blocking a vent hole off when energized (the plunger extends).

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online