Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Merc 1250 Ammeter

Merc 1250 Ammeter 11 years 5 months ago #76514

I would like to connect my factory mercury ammeter to my '68 1250. I cannot find anything in the wiring diagram that looks like a designed tie-in.

It looks like I would have to intercept the alternator wire between the switch box and the harness plug....am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Merc 1250 Ammeter 11 years 5 months ago #76517

• DMCI
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

In general, the ammeter sits as shown in the above drawing. It measures the current flow in and out of the battery, and/or the charging rate.

Many am meters cannot handle the currents in the circuits. There is a device called a shunt that sends most of the current directly to the load, retaining only a small amount for operating the meter I would check with your dealer for more information on that.

You can also use the meter to measure current flow to the accessories by putting it in the circuit feeding your switchbox.

Note: a voltmeter which often can get you more information on battery condition etc. needs only wired in parallel with the battery. Multiplying the apparent voltage drop by the instantaneous current will give you the load in Watts.

Re:Merc 1250 Ammeter 11 years 5 months ago #76587

Thanks DMCI. Would you happen to know if I tap in before or after the rectifier? (I noticed I said switch box before)

Thanks,
Mark

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online