Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 74 1500 at speed

74 1500 at speed 11 years 11 months ago #71238

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
This is a picture of me driving the 74 Vector and the 74 Merc 1500 I restored last year. Pictures were taken at the CT river run last weekend put on by the Scream and Fly.com guys. They had someone on shore clicking off pics as we passed by...boy did they get a couple of perfect shots!
Boat does just over 68 gps on light wind chop. It scores 96 out of 100, deducts were wrong color steering cables (earlier ride guide were black) and the transom metal flake is not an exact match (only if ya look close) to the rest of the boat. I had to reflake the transom when I replaced the wood core. The rest of the gel is factory original with new clear applied. Instruments interior etc. all correct.
It's a balsa core boat and a complete PAIN to redo.
I just thought the 1500 at full tilt would be entertaining to all my Merc bretheren.
Randy
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:74 1500 at speed 11 years 11 months ago #71247

Thats the way they are supposed to move. Great pics.

Re:74 1500 at speed 11 years 11 months ago #71256

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Very Cool !!!!
Had an opportunity to buy one just like that a while back. Guy just wanted Too much for it. Probably shouldn't have been so Cheap :P

Re:74 1500 at speed 11 years 11 months ago #71263

Awesome Randy, what prop were you running? RPM?

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:74 1500 at speed 11 years 11 months ago #71280

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Daveswaves wrote:

Awesome Randy, what prop were you running? RPM?

I have tried everything stainless...Choppers, cleavers, non thru hub thru hub etc.
The props that run the best are a 26 Cleaver over the hub exhaust which is good for just a tick over 69 gps and a 24 Laser II through hub exhaust for a few ticks over 68 gps.
The cleaver is near impossible to get on plane and the boat never feels good until 65 plus when trimmed, very limited chine walk so easy to handle while going fast but, regular cruising stinks with this prop. It gives an all speed business look with the boat on the trailer. The Laser II, which is what I am running in the pictures, is very mild mannered, out of the hole and while crusing at different speeds and trim angles, the boat is a pleasure and easy to drive for anyone. I was surprised the top end was as good as it is, minimal chine walk, and it holds the bow up nice. I am not hitting waves in the pictures that is how the prop holds the boat up. I think having the full hub gives a longer bullet to the gearcase and helps stability. It does look plain Jane on the trailer.
The motor spins both props to about 6300, I'm only up there for a minute or so at a time, doesn't sound like a lot of time but you've covered over a mile. I run 21 degrees total timing, I have .082 jets and only use 40:1 sythetic and premium gas. Motor seems to like this a lot, runs solid.
I also tried other 26 cleavers that where a touch slower than my "good one". The regular small ear chopper 26 pitch came in at few ticks over 66 but the boat was hard to handle, a lot more chine walk which I believe is why it ran slower, they sound cool at take off when the motor winds up and looks rad on the trailer though. I also tried a 26 Laser II but the motor would not spin it up past 5500 (?). I also tried a few vintage two blade 26 pitch stainless Merc elepahnt ears, these ran maybe 62 ish and the motor itself sounded way different, more wine was noticable, that is the right prop for correctness at a show only. Goes to show you just have to try a variety of props, some that are the "same" run different while others will give unexpected results and not all pitches of varying prop styles/era's tach out the same. Food for thought where prop selection is a common theme here.

Re:74 1500 at speed 11 years 11 months ago #71311

Thanks for the input Randy, I run a laser 11 on my 1500 as well and love the handling. I seem to have difficulty swinging more than a 20P laser 11, part of that Im sure is weight of the boat. My timing is lower than yours and I am running regular gas, might be worth tweaking it upwards next season. I have converted mine to ADI and that drops the timing at wot as well. Best pitch for mine at the moment is a 17P running at 6200. Might have the laser 11 re pitched to 18 and shave 1/4 inch off the diameter and give that a try. I am running 84 jets so may be a bit rich as well.
Attachments:

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:74 1500 at speed 11 years 11 months ago #71346

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The 084's are probably a bit rich for a long shaft but it will help prevent the dreaded detonation as will the reduced timing. It probably cuts down on your hp but then again I'd rather have a happy motor the runs for a long time than peaking for max h.p. and risk a scored piston. The Bass boat looks clean and BOY AM I JEALOUS of what looks to be a boat house! I'm stuck on the dock or mooring with mooring covers, I only dream about a boat house. The ADI is WAY better than the distributor, I kept mine vintage distributor, too many things to change for a practical swap to ADI. I do wonder how that single coil on the dist systems keeps up at WOT... lot's of sparks needed. A high rake prop like the laser II ya have would most likely hold the bow better, I'd look for one on ebay with a lower pitch and then sell yours without mods, sould be a zero dollar experiment. I'll bet one of our G3 buddies running a bigger newer inline could use a prop in the size laser you have and then if the smaller one does not work then I'd be that would still be a good candidate for an older inline on a G, they always seem ot be debating motors and props over there. So minimum cost if your 17 winds up the best.
Randy

Re:74 1500 at speed 11 years 11 months ago #71353

Agree the 084s are rich. I bored this 1500 block .030 over on all six and I am running high dome Persan pistons. I am running modified reed blocks with 10/10 banjo reeds. The jets and the timing were on purpose. Good idea re the G3 board, I will post the 20 P there as a trade for an 18P. That is the lowest pitch they make in the laser 11. I run a manual jack plate with the center of the bullet level with the pad. The pad is recessed 6 inches and the jack plate is out six inches so no problem with water pickup. I am surfacing the laser 11 slightly and still getting bow lift.
The boathouse was a luxury I allowed myself 2 years ago and last year I went to trailering. We live in a marina so not a long trip to the ramp :laugh: I really prefer the boathouse though. Maybe this year.

Re:74 1500 at speed 11 years 11 months ago #71405

Looks like the boat is running good Randy.
Conrad

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.374 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online