Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1966 Kiekhaefer merc 500

1966 Kiekhaefer merc 500 12 years 2 months ago #65809

Hello all, while looking for info on my mercury I stumbled upon this site. I recently came across a 15' 1967 Harvey with a 1966 merc 500 on the back of it. It doesn't want to run with the wrap on the powerhead, there's a noticeable drop in rpm at idle with the wrap off vs on, from doing a bit of research it sounds like it may have an exhaust leak somewhere inside the cover. It runs fine with the wrap off, but is near deafening. I own the Seloc manual that covers this model. I also suspect it should have the carburetors rebuilt, after seeing the particles while replacing the fuel screens. I would really appreciate any input you guys may have, thanks much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1966 Kiekhaefer merc 500 12 years 2 months ago #65825

how about with the front cover off.
if it is bad then it might be shorting on the cowl. the exhaust leaks are usually around the top motor mount seals. if so try silicon around them.just a suggestion

Re: 1966 Kiekhaefer merc 500 12 years 2 months ago #65833

The front cover doesn't seem to affect it on or off, the front cover has the original foam rubber weather strip to seal it and the band has an insulating wrap on it as well. Last night after posting this I pulled the lower cowling that wraps around the base of powerhead at the gasket your talking about. Judging from the oil residue in there I'd say thats my breech

Re: 1966 Kiekhaefer merc 500 12 years 2 months ago #65834

The front cover doesn't seem to affect it on or off, the front cover has the original foam rubber weather strip to seal it and the band has an insulating wrap on it as well. Last night after posting this I pulled the lower cowling that wraps around the base of powerhead at the gasket your talking about. Judging from the oil residue in there I'd say thats my breech

Re: 1966 Kiekhaefer merc 500 12 years 2 months ago #65843

now with it running take the wrap off and see if it picks up quickly still may be a short.

Re: 1966 Kiekhaefer merc 500 12 years 2 months ago #65854

It doesn't immediately come out of it by taking the wrap off, it seems to idle fine with the wrap on but there's not much response when moving the idle lever, but when you take the wrap off it doesn't seem restricted. I've lookedon over the inside of the wrap and I don't see anywhere that its making contact/burning.

Re:1966 Kiekhaefer merc 500 12 years 2 months ago #65866

is the wrap interfering with the movement of the distributor somehow, or jamming the cables somehow?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online