Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: First test start

First test start 12 years 7 months ago #56345

Today I finally go everything adjusted as per Master service manual; timing, carb idle, throttle stops, etc. jumping from my ranger, battery is 700 CCA. Control wiring I jumped through the exterior harness. Black ignition, yellow forward start. First time with all the plugs out and one plug grounded. The motor spun well and had spark at the plug. Replaced plugs and primed motor. Not enough power in starter to spin. Then I noticed gas was pouring from the opening behind the water inlet screen ( water return port?). I assume this is bad. Given my limited knowledge on outboards I think fuel getting into the cooling passages is not a good thing. Open for suggestions on next plan of action. By the way motor is a '59 Mk 78AE. THX Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:First test start 12 years 7 months ago #56346

your description of where the fuel is leaking confuses me, can you post a picture

If you have gas pouring from anywhere you need to rebuild the carbs
pay close attention to needle & seat or sticking floats, if the motor hasnt been run for years you may want to replace the fuel lines

take the starter apart and clean/service, inspect brushes etc, this usually gets them going again

this motor should have a water pump impeller replaced if it has been sitting long

Re:First test start 12 years 7 months ago #56347

I can't get my camera to work. It is the large triangle housed opening hanging from the cavataion plate just in back of water inlet screen

Re:First test start 12 years 7 months ago #56348

work on your carbs etc, thats excess fuel leaving the flooded cylinder and exiting the exhaust snout....no worries

have you ever run this motor before? have you done a compression test?, if it has been sitting you should rebuild the fuel pump its only $10 in parts there is no excuse not to

Re:First test start 12 years 7 months ago #56349

I did get a pic. The housing seen from rear behind the intake and above the prop shaft

Re:First test start 12 years 7 months ago #56350

Forgot I had to shrick pic to < 800. Never started it before, Don't know how long it sat. When I took the plugs out they smelled like gas and had black residue llike it had been run rich. Will try to shrink the pic. I thought this was the water exit port from the engine, could be wrong would not be the first time. How coud fuel get into there.
Attachments:

Re:First test start 12 years 7 months ago #56351

work on your carbs etc, thats excess fuel leaving the flooded cylinder and exiting the exhaust snout....no worries

Re:First test start 12 years 7 months ago #56600

AZ, you really,really need to take your manual and study it carefully to understand the fundamentals of your engine, they require careful attention to the adjustments to perform properly, and even the pro's have issues with that model. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online