• Page:

TOPIC: 1965 65 HP

1965 65 HP 12 years 11 months ago #46898

• 65G3
  • 65G3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Well finally got the engine on an engine stand.. spent a lot of time cleaning,checking out to see if everything is here, Got new plugs, wire set, choke shutter, fuel filters.. tryed to order 2 fuel pump kits, (not available), fuel is pumping good.. Finally turned the key terns over great.. but no spark !! Back to the service manual! This engine is much more massive in size and weight then my 78 ,70 HP engine !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1965 65 HP 12 years 11 months ago #46908

Most knowledgeable folks would rather have the 4 cylinder 650 that one of those flimsy 3 cylinder motors.

Re: 1965 65 HP 12 years 11 months ago #46910

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
be sure the magneto is not grounding out on the distributor. Those motors are nice and easy to work on. AND YES a far more macho motor over the 3 cyl Mercs. Those fuel pump kits are around.
Jim

Re: 1965 65 HP 12 years 11 months ago #46930

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I just noticed somebody put a ground wire on the mag, but the mag is grounded anyway ,it's attached to the engine,wouldn't that ground it ?? and I got the top choke shutter from Crowley Marine. the new one's are made of plastic !!
Attachments:

Re: 1965 65 HP 12 years 11 months ago #46931

that ground is correct. take the mag ouy and check the points and condensor and coil. take the wire off the external stud and check for spark first. set points .010.

Re: 1965 65 HP 12 years 11 months ago #46932

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here's the new choke shutter, All of a sudden I can't post that photo message coming up to reduce image .. The first image I posted I didn't change anything >> Don't know wha now ???
aaaagghh MY camera somehow went to movie setting ?? Here's the plastic choke
Attachments:

Re: 1965 65 HP 12 years 11 months ago #46957

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Pulled the mag off, opened it up it was all coated with oil and grime , points were good, coated with a film of oil and grime too noticed points would not close either, stayed open .. I adjusted points , tweeked the points a little ,so they would close even , cleaned everything inside put back together.. .. will trying starting later . I need a meatball break !!! :P

Re:1965 65 HP 12 years 10 months ago #51033

I just agreed to buy a 63 650, pick it up Sunday. Lower is pulled, but 'complete', & CHEAP! Except the 4hr each way.... How'd it go after your meatball break? What are you putting it on?

Re:1965 65 HP 12 years 10 months ago #51042

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
i have 2 of these 65hp motors? may have to follow this thread to see if i can get them going?

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:1965 65 HP 12 years 9 months ago #52446

Any change in your 650's status? Actually passed on the other 650, but temporarily hung a 1971 650 Merc on my 1960 Glastron today. Trucked it 5+hrs back from an out of town trip. Needs to gone through, but is complete: steering, keys, controls, new CDI box. Let me know if you've made any progress. I haven't found a dowloadable 1971 650 manual yet. May need to buy it.

Re:1965 65 HP 12 years 9 months ago #52463

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Is there a trick to getting the Mag back up in its socket? I tried for about an hour on a 66 500 over the weekend Shaft was lined up with the large spline and all but jsut couldnt get it to socket in no matter what.. would go in half way then no more. Has good spark every time I would turn the shaft with my hand on the kill ground I would get a hell of a shock lol. Rubber glove solved that but Just mothballing it anyhow, just wnated all the parts where they belonged. was suposed to be a good engine got it for very little as it was stuck figured it was probably lightly stuck..got it home all 4 cylinders completely full of water... so its shot but lots of good parts for another project.

Re:1965 65 HP 12 years 9 months ago #52485

• ed-mc
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
If you feel around the circumference of the mag drive (what's left on the motor once you remove the magneto), you'll find a very small groove/slot. This is the alignment slot. Turn the flywheel until that slot faces towards you. Then, have the flat of the mag shaft facing towards you as well, and gently slide the mag shaft up into the distributor drive.

Be sure to have the middle of the flat on the mag shaft centered on the aligment slot, and she should go up easily. Sometimes you have to wiggle a bit, and if the points happen to be on the 'hump' of the points cam, the shaft will want to move. So, it's better to turn the mag shaft a bit until the points move to one of the flats on the cam, and then it won't have much tendency to move around on you.

HTH.......ed

Re:1965 65 HP 12 years 9 months ago #52523

Ditto on liking the 4 cylinder mercs. The only mercury's I've had are a 650, a 500 and a 400 45hp 1960. The 400 is getting the cosmetics done slowly as I get time. You can't beat the sound and I have found them very easy to work on once they are explained to you and you make a few spanners (abit the parts can get pricy). If I ever get the Club Lido on the water, this 400 is going on it. The 500 I have is a long shaft and I my let it go to a friend, but I will put the 400 on something sooner or later. ( And this from an Evinrude guy )
:) Hugh

Re:1965 65 HP 12 years 9 months ago #52588

I've got a pretty decent stash of the 4 cyl 650 parts - primarily pre-SS, so don't hesitate to write directly if you guys need a part.
Thom

Re:1965 65 HP 12 years 9 months ago #52590

Yeah, that may qualify as the understatement of the YEAR! :cheer:

I have a thread @ Iboats too. Have a long shaft 1971 650, really needed a short shaft. Have a few leads, but nothing great. I'm in north central WV. Been lurking through threads here & there about better drive shafts & splines (stainless) on later LU's. The rear of my boat has some interesting contours that don't lend themselves to raising the transom 5+/- inches. Need to make some adjustments to the garage, & get the 650 on a stand (& off the transom). Bought a manual, been reading through it, and a few reviving old forgotten OB threads. Looking forward to starting the 650 & my 1957 Johnson 35 SeaHorse soon.

I am not familiar with either motor, so any advice, suggestions would be appreciated.

Re:1965 65 HP 12 years 9 months ago #52600

If you get a 70 hp triple running correctly they are much lighter than the 650. The 650 is a pig. But I like them. Its the same as a big six with two cyls cut off.

Your right IT IS BIG! Kinda over engineered.
Conrad

Re:1965 65 HP 12 years 9 months ago #52761

One of Mercury's finest in my book, certainly amongst those that made it across the pond to the UK here. I have a long & 2 shorties, although the '69 shorty is in pieces & the '64 shorty needs to come to pieces. I love 'em, she's a heavy old girl but a good solid runner & they look great, reliable as the day is long. My '68 long has never been touched apart from impellers & servicing & still looks & runs as good as ever - & it gets a lot of salt use as well as fresh. Everyone who drives the boat with that motor on it always comments on how sweet she is.

Re:1965 65 HP 12 years 9 months ago #52791

I have a 66 model. It will be a work horse on my Rat Rod.
They are quite beefy. This model would be great for those "Swamp People" B)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online