Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1964 Merc 650 timing marks

1964 Merc 650 timing marks 13 years 2 months ago #37529

I have the timing gear on the engine removed from the flywheel. I didn't think to mark it where the hub goes in relation to the flywheel when reassembling the entire thing. Is the key in the crankshaft an indicator of where the flywheel timing mark would go in relation to the timing mark on the flywheel itself? In other words point the key to the timing mark on the distributor pulley and use that as a guide to putting the flywheel back on?

Make sense?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1964 Merc 650 timing marks 13 years 2 months ago #37530

no

under the pulley plate there is a tiny arrow,(its on one of the pulleys webs) you will need light to see it .....it lines up with the mark on the flywheel or better still center of crank shaft at TDC
Attachments:

Re:1964 Merc 650 timing marks 13 years 2 months ago #37536

Yup... I got that part figured out... but on the flywheel itself... took off those 8 bolts in the middle, popped the hub off, but there's nowhere on the hub or the flywheel that shows you where the two line up when you put the flywheel back together. I know where the mark on the flywheel itself is too.

Or is the best way to take out the spark plug from #1 and find TDC that way to line everything up? Hate to removed and reinstall spark plugs if I don't have to (crushable washers, helicoils, etc...).

Had to disassemble the flywheel assembly to get the timing belt on and off.

Thanks again!

Re:1964 Merc 650 timing marks 13 years 2 months ago #37560

Kinda hard to figure out what you are asking. The flywheel can only go on one way with the notch over the key. When on that way the TDC mark on the flywheel will always be lined up with the arrow on the Timing wheel(under the cap as MadProps said)when #1 cyl is at TDC. If for some reason you cannot find a mark on the side of the flywheel than yes you need to pull the plug in the #1 cyl and find Top Dead Center on the piston thru the plug whole then line up your timing wheel.

Good luck.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:1964 Merc 650 timing marks 13 years 2 months ago #37564

This guy had the same problem... but I'll just find TDC by taking out the spark plug on cylinder #1.

forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=490965&page=1

Thanks for taking the time to write back.

Re:1964 Merc 650 timing marks 13 years 2 months ago #37565

Common mistake ( taking out the hub bolts ) ---see if you can find rust marks or stains to put it back on where it was.
Failing that put #1 at TDC and put the timing mark in line with the shaft of the distributor and bolt it on.
Then line up the arrow on the distributor pulley. Verify proper timing on start-up.

Re:1964 Merc 650 timing marks 13 years 2 months ago #37571

Yup - did just that... marked everything this time before I put it back together so next time I'll have a better idea. Fired right up - so the timing is still good.

Thanks for your help everyone.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online