Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Received my new Mercury decals from Peter...

Received my new Mercury decals from Peter... 13 years 2 months ago #36724

• Eduardo
  • Eduardo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
...just yesterday, now I'd like to remove the old decals off the face plate and lower cowl. What is the best approach withouth damaging the original Phantom black finish? Thanks in advance. Thanks.

Eduardo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Received my new Mercury decals from Peter... 13 years 2 months ago #36727

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
try a heat gun or a hair dryer set ion hightest setting..WD40 could be used to remove the old residue..then acetone the areas to remove the oil residue.....

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:Received my new Mercury decals from Peter... 13 years 2 months ago #37512

X2 on the heat gun.

You don't need to roast them but warm them up a bit and gently start peeling. Sometimes, a razor blade is useful to lift the stubborn corners but be careful not to gouge the paint. I like to use Goo Gone and a soft terry cloth towel for removing the residue. It has a pleasant citrus smell and will not damage paint. Best advice is to just take your time and go slow with it. Some really old and crusty decals will take the paint along with them if you're not careful.

A bottle of windex works wonders for putting decals on. Plain soapy water works well too but takes longer to evaporate. Spray the surface and sticky side of the decal till they are soaking wet and gently apply to the surface. This will let the decal float on the surface so that you can get it precisely where you want it. Squeegee the Windex out from the center of the decal, working your way outwards being careful not to trap and air pockets. A credit card wrapped in a paper towel makes a good squeegee if you don't have one specifically for applying decals.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online