Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Polishing the Chrome (63 1000)

Polishing the Chrome (63 1000) 13 years 5 months ago #30386

So since I have the motor broken down into major components (l/u, pan, power head out, mid off the swivelbracket) i'm going to freshen the paint. And since I'll be doing that I'll polish the bright work. So heres the questions.

Assuming the bright work is stainless steel.
Is it through and through? Or plated? Reason I ask is that the pull handle that runs across the top of the hat has some scratches. I'd like to try and buff them out (they are that deep). But if its chrome over stainless, I don't want to cut through.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Polishing the Chrome (63 1000) 13 years 5 months ago #30390

some were stainles some chrome some anadized aluminum.

Re:Polishing the Chrome (63 1000) 13 years 5 months ago #30458

You've got to be really careful with what you do to that top hat 'chrome' handle because of what Deve B has said.
You can usually identify which type material your are up against by peeking on the inside of the front where the top of the face plate slides in.
Be super careful if you attempt to remove the handle for polishing, etc as the studs are poorly connected to the inside of the handle and easily break loose from their tiny spot weld.
Once this happens it is very tough to repair without ruining the outer surface of the handle.
I have repaired pulled of studs in this situation by cleaning the surface really good, dremel'g in a few grab points up the insides and filling the immediate area around the loose stud with expoxy like Marine-Tex or J&B Weld.

I can't believe how many of these very cool top hat handles I've seen that are scarred and thrashed as if someone had turned the Merc upside down and drug the Merc across the floor on the top hat handle. I've never really seen how the damages occur, but it is unbelievable how many are ruined.
Oops,...That was 'ranting',...Something I try to avoid.
:laugh:
Thom

Re:Polishing the Chrome (63 1000) 13 years 5 months ago #30461

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Oops,...That was 'ranting',...Something I try to avoid

It's okay Thom, you're human. Happens to the best of 'em sometimes! :laugh:

Mark

Re:Polishing the Chrome (63 1000) 13 years 5 months ago #30462

Based on this feedback, Ill not take the top hat handle off. I'll just buff it up and tape it off when spray paint it. The scratches are not nearly so bad that i am going risk breaking it or burning through.

Thanks guys - once again demonstrating the great value of this forum!

Re:Polishing the Chrome (63 1000) 13 years 5 months ago #30468

as if someone had turned the Merc upside down and drug the Merc across the floor

Thom youve never seen someone do that???? Ive seen guys store their mercs like this in their shop. I showed up in to purchase a MK 75 from a guy that I got off ebay.

He had my MK 75 hanging from a hoist with the chain only thru the top part of the faceplate. (you know the handle portion to pull the motor up) THE WHOLE MOTOR HANGING FROM THE FACPLATE!!! I just about crapped my pants. I know its possible to do, but man not reccomended :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

He had several other old mercs laying upside down and was sliding them around his shop floor. :S
I guess they are easier to move around upside down.

I took my merc and ran.....
Conrad

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online