Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 115 Mariner lower unit oil capacity?

115 Mariner lower unit oil capacity? 13 years 7 months ago #26264

Getting ready to do my first change, how much oil goes in there? I've seen the small tubes of lube, how many does it take to fill the lower unit on my 1980 115hp inline 6?
Thanks in advance,
Scotty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:115 Mariner lower unit oil capacity? 13 years 7 months ago #26265

Found it, 21 Ounces according to my "repairmanuals4u" digital copy.

Re:115 Mariner lower unit oil capacity? 13 years 7 months ago #26294

Usually when I drain the oil I buy one of those 1 quart containers and it will get it full again.

Take the bottom drain plug out, then take the vent out on top near the flush plug.

Now squeeze the quart into the bottom hole until it comes out the top vent. You have to squeeze pretty hard at the end and kinda fold the bottle over.

Trick is when it comes out the top, dont let go of the bottle to put the plug in. The bottle will suck the oil back out if you let go.

Conrad

Re:115 Mariner lower unit oil capacity? 13 years 7 months ago #26316

I get it in theory but what keeps the oil from just leaking right back out when you remove the bottle? It is vacuum that keeps it in while you (quickly) reinstall the drain plug?

Re:115 Mariner lower unit oil capacity? 13 years 7 months ago #26345

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

It is vacuum that keeps it in while you (quickly) reinstall the drain plug?

That's the theory, although a little will leak out before you can get the plug in, my experience. You install the vent plug first while still holding/squeazing the fill bottle in the fill/drain hole, and just be as quick as you can be when putting the bottom plug back in.

There are several quality lube mfg's. that offer the quart bottle with the hand pump, or you can buy the pump separately. IMO, it's the best $7.xx I ever spent. It makes it so much easier, and much less messy. Just my two cents...... ;)

Mark

Re:115 Mariner lower unit oil capacity? 13 years 7 months ago #26473

MarkS wrote:

It is vacuum that keeps it in while you (quickly) reinstall the drain plug?

That's the theory, although a little will leak out before you can get the plug in, my experience. You install the vent plug first while still holding/squeazing the fill bottle in the fill/drain hole, and just be as quick as you can be when putting the bottom plug back in.

There are several quality lube mfg's. that offer the quart bottle with the hand pump, or you can buy the pump separately. IMO, it's the best $7.xx I ever spent. It makes it so much easier, and much less messy. Just my two cents...... ;)

Hear hear :laugh: :laugh:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online