Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to hook a kill switch to an old Merc?

How to hook a kill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16580

I see there are a variety of aftermarket kill switches on the market. Have any you guys hooked them up to your old in-line 6 mercs? Any suggestions? Scott (chinewalker) gave me an idea of what my ignition switch positions are, but I'm not real sure where to go from there. My motor is a '63 1000.

Thanks for any help.

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How to hook a lill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16581

Frank be aware there are 2 types of kill lanyard switches one opens the circuit the other type closes the circuit, so order the one to suit your application

I dont remember what ignition your motor runs coils & points or electronic to tell you where to wire in a safety switch

Re:How to hook a kill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16583

I'm a coils & points guy. From what Scott thinks, I need to wire it into D & E terminals of my key switch so it's open when the switch is in place.

This boat is a real gas since I got it running the way it should. A couple experiences in the last week have led me to believe I need a kill switch. I'm just not sure what to buy, and was hoping one of you real smart merc guys could steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Frank

Re:How to hook a lill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16585

There are several ways, but...
Looks to me like you need to put in a "circuit-opening" switch on the orange wire from the IGN switch into the harness.
This will stop power from the Ign switch to the coils...

Re:How to hook a lill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16586

Hmmmmm, how would one do that? Got pics or diagrams?

Frank

Re:How to hook a lill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16587

PC1000 wrote:

Hmmmmm, how would one do that? Got pics or diagrams?

Frank

Get one of those switches with the RED Lanyard cord and plastic clip (see pic below)

Remove the ORANGE wire from the ignition switch. Run a wire from THAT Ignition switch terminal... to the kill-switch. Run the 2nd wire from the kill switch back to the original ORANGE wire...
Without the clip in place, the motor will not start or run. You are 'supposed" to clip the lanyard to yourself- in case you exit the boat unexpectantly... :ohmy:

Attachments:

Re:How to hook a lill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16592

Very cool! Thanks for taking the time. I'm sure this will be of use to lots of folks.

Frank

Re:How to hook a lill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16603

• BillF
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
When I added such a kill switch to my old boat with a Merc 1500, I also installed an "overide" toggle switch in an out-of-the-way location. The "overide" toggle, when activated after a kill switch action, just places a short across the kill switch. This is to allow my wife or other boating companion to restart the motor and come back to pick me up if I do fall overboard. So far, I haven't fallen overboard, but one never knows.............

Re:How to hook a lill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16614

BillF wrote:

When I added such a kill switch to my old boat with a Merc 1500, I also installed an "overide" toggle switch in an out-of-the-way location. The "overide" toggle, when activated after a kill switch action, just places a short across the kill switch. This is to allow my wife or other boating companion to restart the motor and come back to pick me up if I do fall overboard. So far, I haven't fallen overboard, but one never knows.............

Thats a damn good idea!! :laugh:

Re:How to hook a lill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16627

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Is it possible to purchase an extra lanyard instead of the override and store it on the boat?

Re:How to hook a lill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16628

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
You sure can Pete:
www.iboats.com/Seadog-Universal-Kill-Switch/dm/cart_id.816648939--session_id.297402537--view_id.39677

And if you've got electronic ignition, I believe you need the kill switch that closes the circuit on activation, grounding out the ignition. Hopefully somebody can post a little info on wiring up one of those as well. Great thread.

Mark

Re:How to hook a lill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16629

I don't get it Mark. The replacement lanyard just has a loop on one end for the switch, but I thought the loop hooks to a plastic piece that pulls off the switch (to close the contacts and shut the motor off) when the driver leaves his or her seat?

Thanks for the link, I'm gonna get one, but just have that one question.

Frank

Re:How to hook a kill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16648

Hi Frank,
I am glad to hear that either of you were hurt seriously!
To connect a safety stop switch to the 1963 Merc 1000, I would recommend two ways:
1): using a switch which opens the circuit when activated, connect the switch into the circuit supplying 12 volts to the ignition system. I would recommend connecting at the terminal block which attaches to the top fuel pump boss. This terminal block (if the wiring is the correct original color codes) has a black, light blue, and orange wire leads connected. The black would supply the 12 volts from the "on" ignition switch. Remove this black wire lead, and connect one side of the stop switch to it, and the other to the joining wire which feeds the ballasts. When the switch is activated, the 12 volt supply to the ignition system is interrupted.
2): using a switch which closes the circuit when activated, find the mercury tilt switch wire leads and distributor wire leads (white and brown color wires) terminal block. Connect one side of the switch to the white side, and the other to the brown side. When the switch is activated, both breaker points are then connected together, thus stopping ignition function.
To throw our hat into the ring, we have a T-H Marine switch which flush mounts @ $24.99. This works with the second way above. Wiring to the motor from the switch must be supplied separately. We also have a Mercury Quicksilver stop switch kit @ $39.99. The switch can be surface or flush mounted (with the supplied components). A 20 foot sheaved harness is connected to the switch to reach the outboard. This switch can be employed with either connection way above.
Many stop switches, including both of the above, utilize a toggle switch installed to a plate which has an open end box. When the toggle paddle is down (activated), the plastic loop on the lanyard, can fall off. To connect the lanyard to the switch, place the loop on the toggle paddle, and push the toggle paddle up enclosing it into the box. The box retains the loop to the toggle paddle for proper motor operation.
The generally lower cost spring loaded post type switches (which we can supply also) are not a favorite of mine, as these have a plastic threaded body with a plastic nut to install into a round hole. If the nut is tightened to secure the switch well, then the switch body often breaks in time (new switch time). Also, as mentioned, if a second lanyard is not available, then it is difficult to operate the motor while holding the post outwards. With the toggle style, simply push the paddle upwards to "run". Forgetting the lanyard at home, does not ruin a trip to the lake, or hinder operation in an emergency.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com (either of the above have been posted to our website yet however)
Attachments:

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:How to hook a kill switch to an old Merc? 14 years 1 week ago #16667

What's the pic of Joe, the T-H, or Merc? I like the idea, and once I get my new prop paid off will see what we can do.

I'm gonna go with method #2. Dave Bernard called me last night and told me about that method. Makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.015 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online