Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mercury Mechanic needed for 1961 800

Mercury Mechanic needed for 1961 800 3 weeks 6 days ago #148812

I have a 1961 Mercury 800 that starts fine but the prop does not turn. Something is stripped out inside. I'm in north Seattle. Anyone with a lead on a good mechanic for this?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mercury Mechanic needed for 1961 800 3 weeks 6 days ago #148813

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
You've got an 800 Direct Reversing Merc, so anytime the crankshaft is turning, so should the propeller. Obviously a disconnect. Possibilities are stripped splines in the crankshaft (where the driveshaft engages), and broken gears in the lower unit.

On the side of the gearcase, is that a crack I spy? If so, freeze damage from being full of water. It was plenty cold in the PNW this winter, it got down to 8 degrees at my house!

Next step is to pull the lower unit, then you can turn the driveshaft and see what happens. Also you'll be able to check the condition of the splines on the end of the driveshaft.

There's an Allen-head bolt that holds that trim tab/water intake on, you go in from the top. Then there should be a bolt under the trim tab. Also a couple of nuts on the underside of the anti-ventilation plate, and one up front.

No gearshift linkage to worry about at all, the lower unit should come right down. If it turns out you're in need of a new lower unit, I can refer you to someone who may have one. He's not working on any motors anymore, though.

HTH.....................ed

Mercury Mechanic needed for 1961 800 2 weeks 11 hours ago #148824

Thanks Ed, I re-connected with the Doctor and he is helping me with parts so all set for now :)

I looked for the crack you thought you saw - I don't see one - hope I am not missing that.

Sorry it took so long for my to reply - I appreciate your help.
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: ed-mc

Mercury Mechanic needed for 1961 800 4 days 10 hours ago #148825

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Well, the Doc should be able to fix you up!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5946 guests and no members online