• Page:

TOPIC: 650 merc

650 merc 8 years 1 month ago #126123

• frog
  • frog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
hi all, I just got another donor boat home last sat. it has a 65 hp merc and the serial # is 3156448 I was wondering what year this is and if it would be to heavy for my 1959 crestliner voyager 14 ft. the boat is rated for 60 hp. I got the controls and Teleflex steering and matching speedo and tach. the tach hooks to the throttle box, there is no name on the faces of them. I know not much about working on mercs but do know enough about johnny rudes to get into trouble. I do have a real nice 40 hp rude big twin, and maybe sell the merc and run the rude. I do not care about going fast. what are your thoughts? thanks. frog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 650 merc 8 years 1 month ago #126131

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Should be a "Red Band" 1971 4-cylinder. An excellent motor and it will push your 14' boat with verve. I had one like that back in the 80's on my 14' Fiberform V-hulled runabout and it went 37 mph on the lake.

Plus it probably won't use much more fuel than the Big Twin Johnrude at full throttle.

With a rating of 60hp on the boat, another 5hp won't amount to a hill of beans as far as the boat is concerned. As long as it's structurally sound, that is.

Depends on the condition of the Merc and which one you like the best.

There are plenty of Merc Gurus here to guide you thru the process of getting the 65hp ready for the water. Not that hard of a motor to work on, really.

Sounds like you have a decision to make!

Re: 650 merc 8 years 1 month ago #126133

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
thanks ed, yes I have to decide on which one. I have all winter to figure that out. will do some research on working on the merc. yes it is a red band , and the only thing that looks bad on the outside is a 1 inch of the skeg is gone but the prop looks good and so does the gear case. this is just looking at it. I may find more problems inside. seems to shift ok on the stand. I will have more questions when I check compression and see if it has spark. frog

Re:650 merc 8 years 1 month ago #126221

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
would this 65merc have electronic ign or points, how hard is the impeller to change, do I need special tools. thanks greg

Re:650 merc 8 years 1 month ago #126222

electronic.

Re:650 merc 8 years 1 month ago #126242

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
If the motor is not a Salty Dog, the impeller is easier to change than a Johrude, 'cause there's no shift linkage to disconnect.

The shift shaft rotates to shift, and the upper shift rod has internal splines that mate-up to the external splines on the shift shaft in the lower unit.

The 4-cyl 65hp takes the same impeller as all the "modern" Inline Sixes, inexpensive and readily available.

There are a few common mistakes made when doing these, let us know before you drop the L/U and we'll walk you thru......ed

Re:650 merc 8 years 1 month ago #126255

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
thanks ed, I sure will have a lot of ouestions. greg

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online