Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Compression on 70 hp

Compression on 70 hp 8 years 6 months ago #121024

I have a 1977 Mercury 70hp outboard with a lower cylinder that has no compression. I am NOT an outboard mechanic by any means. Is there a fix for no compression or do I just have another anchor? I don't mind spending some money to fix it, but so far the local boat mechanic has told me it is toast. What is involved in the repair, or do I just need to start shopping for another motor?
Thanks,
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Compression on 70 hp 8 years 6 months ago #121038

Rebuild most likely 1 piston at least. and most important find out WHY lean burn???

Re: Compression on 70 hp 8 years 6 months ago #121042

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Probably sucked a lower seal and then the water leakage killed the bottom cylinder. A teardown should show the problem. Depending on the damage, you might get by with a rebore, fitting oversized piston/rings and new rod & wrist pin bearings on that cylinder.

On rare occasions you may be able to save the cyl, just cleaning it up with a ball-type deglazer. But if it's scored badly, you'll need to bore it to the next oversize.

If the crank is damaged as well, probably a boat anchor unless you want to dump a lot of $$$ into it.

Frankly, at that point the $$$ would be better spent refurbishing a 4-cyl Merc. Some bottom end parts on that engine may be swappable onto a 50hp Merc of similar vintage.

Or, a little heresy, an OMC 3-cyl 70hp would push the boat better than the little 3-cyl Merc. I know, E.C.K would roll over in his grave!!!

HTH & let us know what you find........ed

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online