• Page:

TOPIC: power trim/tilt ?? 6cyl

power trim/tilt ?? 6cyl 8 years 7 months ago #119817

• cosmic12
  • cosmic12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a 1977 Merc 115 6cyl. I had been looking for a power trim unit for it and I finally got the 1st 1/2 of it. It is off a 72 115 so I am assuming it will fit, I hope. Now, I need to find the pump and line and wiring for it. Is it possible that a Mercruser IO pump will work? The ones I have been looking at look the same but are much cheaper to but than the OB units. Some one please tell me what I am looking for or what I need this OB stuff is all new to me.
It is a 3 wire system I believe.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:power trim/tilt ?? 6cyl 8 years 7 months ago #119819

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Doc F should have a pump...ask him.

Re:power trim/tilt ?? 6cyl 8 years 7 months ago #119833

pump is the same BUT it has a 2 line system and you need a 4 line. the 4 line will bolt to the 2 line pump.

Re:power trim/tilt ?? 6cyl 8 years 7 months ago #119847

I might be full of prunes, but I tried to use a Mercruiser Trim Pump by switching the 2 hose manifold with a 4 hose manifold,...And it didn't work out.
I found that the Mercruiser trim pump motor had an over-load switch inside that would trip during attempts to trim up a four hose system.
???
I don't find that little set of points (over-load switch) in any of the motors I've disassembled, rebuilt, etc, that were originally four hose pump motors.
Could that over-load switch be disabled and consequently be able to use that motor on a four hose system???
doc

Re:power trim/tilt ?? 6cyl 8 years 7 months ago #119851

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Doc, hope yer not asking me.lol. I don't have a clue. I am confussed about all this 2-wire 3-wire 2-lines 4- lines stuff. I am pretty sure I have a 3-wire unit but I don't have it in my hands yet.
I do know I need everything from the unit forward. Any suggestions on where to start or what I need?

Re:power trim/tilt ?? 6cyl 8 years 7 months ago #119880

The (2) wire vs (3) wire thing is related to the later model power trim that has everything aft of the transom, tucked in between the transom brackets.
The (2) wire motors use relays to run the trim motor & the (3) wire motors use solenoids to run the trim motor.
Looks like you need (2) large diameter trim hoses, (2) small diameter trim hoses, an outboard motor trim motor with a (4) hose manifold on it, and a splash-well manifold.
And,...A set of #10 copper stranded wires long enough to go from the trim pump solenoid (or solenoids if yours has two) over to the battery. Red for positive & black for negative is best.
Then you'll need a set of (3) #16 copper stranded wires long enough to go from the trim pump solenoid(s) up under the gunwale to the helm area, where you mount the trim switch.
Use Red for 12vdc+, Blue for UP trim, and Green for DOWN trim.
The use of the word Power Trim is common, but really means Power Tilt when referencing the motion the outboard motor makes.
I guess the 'Trim' probably references the fact that you are trimming the hull out or in to a level plane of motion.
A marine grade 12vdc switch that has (3) positions is required.
Momentary ON - OFF - Momentary ON.
This wiring eliminates the troublesome over tilt safety switch and related wires and connections. IMHO every connection you can eliminate by hard wiring eliminates lots of future trouble-shooting due to corrosive connection points.
Not such a big deal if you are a fresh water boater, but forget it in use on the salt water.
I have everything you need, but I must confess that I keep them for use on complete motor sales, and for use on Mercs in my collection.
We can certainly assist you in determining if you have found the correct parts on eBay or craigslist, etc if you post pixs before purchasing.

The picture below explains how to remove the power trim pieces in your pictures, and install them onto your existing transom clamps & swivel housing, rather than disassembling yours down to the point that would allow you to simply install the unit in your pictures as one piece. Typically a very difficult disassembly-reassembly process for sure.
doc
Attachments:

Re:power trim/tilt ?? 6cyl 8 years 7 months ago #119890

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Doc, thanks so much. The devil is in the details and that you surly have done. I never thought of just transferring the parts to the orig tilt section, that is such a relief knowing it will even work. Thank you. The new one and the orig are fresh water units so I hope they will come apart ok. The wiring really isn't a issue what I need is a pump and the lines at this point.

Again Thank you
Mark

Re:power trim/tilt ?? 6cyl 8 years 7 months ago #119917

This same trim set-up was on my 1963 Merc 850 and was also on my 1977 Merc 1150. It has always worked fine on both motors. With mine I have 3 buttons - one for down, one for trim (which just brings the motor up far enough to stay usable under power), and the third is pressed along with the trim button to tilt the motor up out of the water. The button set up is the one that came with original kit. If you have newer controls the buttons are on the throttle handle.
Bill

Re:power trim/tilt ?? 6cyl 8 years 7 months ago #119923

Thats the same setup on my 78 1500. On the deluxe Mercontrol, the up/down is on the throttle lever, and the trailer button is low and forward. Mine is standard, so the buttons are dash mounted.
There is a limit switch on or in the starboard cylinder that, when working properly, lets you trim the motor. It stops before the motor comes out of the water too much (preventing damage to the motor). The third, or trailer, button overrides the limit so the motor can be tilted fully for recovering to the trailer.
You arent going to find many of those limit switches working properly, so like many others, I bypassed that. now just up and down.

Will

Re:power trim/tilt ?? 6cyl 8 years 7 months ago #119932

Full of prunes.... You are dating yourself Doc. :laugh:

Re:power trim/tilt ?? 6cyl 8 years 7 months ago #119951

Awe come on George,...That's a bunch of malarkey if I must say so myself!!
:laugh: :laugh: :) :) :) :)
doc

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online