Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stainless steel studs.

Stainless steel studs. 8 years 9 months ago #118646

I am rebuilding a 1960 Merc 800 DR lower unit. The various studs are a mix of stainless steel, and steel. I want to change the steel studs to stainless. Noodling around on the Innanet, I have been unable to find stainless studs to match the steel studs. Am thinking about buying stainless bolts, cutting them to length and threading the cut end. What is the opinion of the hive mind?
TIA
Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Stainless steel studs. 8 years 9 months ago #118648

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Simple. What ya want is SS threaded ROD. Sold local or order it. Usual comes 3 foot lengths. Cut to size, clean up cut ends and done. And cutting threads in SS is a bitch anyway, as tough, but galls easy.

Re:Stainless steel studs. 8 years 9 months ago #118664

Just keep in mind, that for all thats its harder to work with, SS isnt as strong as steel- It will stretch, and not take high torque. Watch the heat when cutting, as you'll easily hit a critical temp if using a grinder (chopsaw) and that may or may not have a negative impact on the integrity of the material.

Will

Re:Stainless steel studs. 8 years 9 months ago #118665

I have about 5 coffee cans full of Mercury lower unit studs. Lots of stainless and lots of steel of various lengths.
The OEMs are NC threads going into the lower unit, and NF for the nyloc nuts.
I can check the lengths required for an 800DR and send you off a set if I have them in stainless.
If you are interested, send me a PM via fiberglassics and include your actual email addy so I can reply.
doc F

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online