• Page:

TOPIC: Cant get mark 55 flywheel to pop off

Cant get mark 55 flywheel to pop off 8 years 9 months ago #118529

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys,
I can't get the flywheel to come off my Mark 55. When removing the nut it was rusty in the hole where the nut sits. Got the nut off with an impact, no washer was under it. Have soaked with PB blaster for a few days, it has been sitting with tension on the puller all that time. Have tried taping the puller with a hammer (not to hard as not to damage bearings). Can I apply heat to the center of flywheel with out damaging the stator underneath? Never had one this stuck before. The powerhead is off the motor and sitting on my bench. Any suggestions? :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Cant get mark 55 flywheel to pop off 8 years 9 months ago #118545

support the fly wheel and smack the puller Hard then tighten the puller and try again. note leave the nut on a few turns so the flywheel does not pop off .if that does not work retighten and leave over night and try again use a BIG Hammer .

Re:Cant get mark 55 flywheel to pop off 8 years 9 months ago #118546

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I got it!! Man that thing was on there! Tightened the puller as much as I could and gave the flywheel a good wack from the bottom with a 3 pound sledge. I'm either blind or stupid (the wife says both) but I do not see a timing mark on this flywheel. There is a cast in "N" on it...only mark I can see. Is that my timing mark?

Re:Cant get mark 55 flywheel to pop off 8 years 9 months ago #118547

bring the top cyl to top dead center then a straight line from the crank shaft to the mag drive will be on the fly wheel if not put the belt on it is timed.

Re:Cant get mark 55 flywheel to pop off 8 years 9 months ago #118553

I hear ya there Jeff ! Some flywheels are just temper mental :lol: . What type of puller do you have? I have a smaller one then also be his larger one in the pic. Larger one ha a major bolt and also oversized washers help a lot. I will video next one I take off. Couple was ago I started tearing apart my next projects 2 1964 merc 650's. 1st FW came off easy then the 2nd took little longer but had to use the pb blaster and really torque on the bolt with a minor sledge tap!

Travis
Attachments:

www.liquidassetsonline.org , 63\'PowerCat14-C w/twin64\'650\'s,14\'Glen-L Zip w/Mark58E,58\'TeeNee,
Mark55AE,Mark55E,PairMark58E\\\'s,Mark58AE,Mark78AEL, 6-7RBM\'s.Keep EM\' Alive! Always looking to add to collection.

Re:Cant get mark 55 flywheel to pop off 8 years 9 months ago #118554

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Got it. Thank you Dave. You were right on the money a while back when you told me these were much easier to work on then the J/E motors. I'll take a Merc any day over the J/E's now.

Re:Cant get mark 55 flywheel to pop off 8 years 9 months ago #118561

75GT wrote:

Got it. Thank you Dave. You were right on the money a while back when you told me these were much easier to work on then the J/E motors. I'll take a Merc any day over the J/E's now.

You must be LEFT handed, no other explanation I can see!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online