• Page:

TOPIC: Timing 56 Mark 55

Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114471

• Merccooper
  • Merccooper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
So I bought a timing belt for my Mark 55 that, according to the prior owner, was running fine last year.
I don't have the service manual for it, but I assume it is similar to the Merc 300, but just want to confirm. I'm not sure which mark on the fly wheel should line up with the distributor. Could someone give me some direction? Also, is just lining up the marks one the fly wheel with the distributor all that is needed? Or do I need to use a timing light to fine tune?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114477

put the top cyl on top dead center then on the mag drive under the cover there is an arrow very small and hard to see that you point directly at the crank install belt that is it. 1 914 310 7086. if needed.

Re: Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114494

• Merccooper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Dave. I forgot that the top plate has to come off the mag in order to see the arrow on the cog of the mag pulley.

Which mark on the fly wheel (two in the picture) do I line up with the mark on the mag pulley?

Also, when I replaced the belt on my Merc 300, I just fudged getting the belt around the mag pulley that is attached to the flywheel. I think to do it right, I need to remove the pulley from the flywheel first. Any tricks for removing it (mag pulley from flywheel)?

If I need to call you, when is the best time? (Or you can call me if you like 289 338 3084). I'm on EST.

Re: Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114499

There are (2) marks on the flywheel.
The line with the 0 stamped on it is the TDC #1 mark.
The other line - that has no zero is the one you will use and align with the arrow on the distributor pulley.
Doc
Attachments:

Re: Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114502

• Merccooper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Doc.
I can't get the belt on the pulley on the flywheel. Any tricks ?

Re: Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114507

what I always did was to put the belt around the edge of housing where the flywheel goes, then put the flywheel on being careful not to pinch the belt. Then pull it tight and put it around the mag pulley. Then time it by moving it on or off the mag pulley and moving mag pulley and flywheel as needed.

Re: Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114509

Ditto !!

Re: Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114510

Me too, next time I do one I want to try a small drop of ca glue to hold the backside of the belt out of the way.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re: Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114511

Surely can't hurt as long as it doesn't react to the belt material. I've ruined at least one belt by pinching it with the flywheel when sliding the flywheel back on. It has to be right against the very edge.

Re: Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114521

especially with a stator on top.

Re: Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114525

Ah yes, one thing I forgot. You must take the stator off when first fitting the belt (if you have a stator). One the belt is in place, put it back on.

Re: Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114536

• Merccooper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the input. I think I'll try the glue approach, maybe some cheap white school glue that will come off easy.

Re: Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114548

no glue is needed. you might run into a latter problem with glue with excessive wear

Re:Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114699

• Merccooper
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
So after a few hours of fiddling I still wasn't able to get the belt on by having pushed up against the inside of the stator/hub. So, I then tried, carefully, looping the belt around the pulley of the flywheel then pulling it through as I lowered the flywheel. This turned out to be what worked for me. Just thought I would provide this update incase future readers come across it.

But, this all started with the no spark symptom...and guess what, still no spark. I have some pictures of the points/distributor that I'll put in another thread, seeking comments.

Re:Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114709

check my answer on the other post.

Re:Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 1 month ago #114711

Glad it worked for you but if you have a stator, you can't do that, as it blocks the tops of the cut outs that the belt passes through.

Re:Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 3 weeks ago #114915

• choc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
hello I am new here, name is choc and not sure but this might help I just purchased a manual for my 59'mark 55a from this link for $4.95 its a pdf format and am sure they have the one you need there: mercury-vintage.marineservicemanuals.com/Kiekhaefer-Mercury-Mark-55A-Super-Thunderbolt-Service-Manual.html hope this helps a little. good luck..

Re:Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 3 weeks ago #114916

There are many service manuals out there, either in pdf or book form. The most popular is the actual Mercury pre-1965 service manual. Covers all the early models.

I just changed a timing belt last weekend. As usual, I had to put the flywheel on a time or two as the belt got pinched, but I eventually got it. My Mark 58 has a stator so the belt slots don't go all the way to the top with the stator on. Nothing wrong with the advice above.

Re:Timing 56 Mark 55 9 years 3 weeks ago #114930

Choc,

Thanks for listing that site for the pre '65 service manuals in .pdf format. I've only seen it in hardcopy up to now and its pretty expensive.

$4.95 for the .pdf is much better.

Thanks,
Gadabout

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online