• Page:

TOPIC: Merc Controls help

Merc Controls help 9 years 1 month ago #113969

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Fellow boaters,
I'm building a 10' GlenL Squirt. I have recently picked up a 1967 Merc 200 for it. The motor is a tiller model, but I was able to acquire a NOS Merc conversion kit to switch it over to controls. The motor has no electric start and I will not be changing that. My question is what control box should I be looking for? I will only be needing throttle and shift functions. Can someone point me in the right direction as to controller and cables to hook this up?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Merc Controls help 9 years 1 month ago #113973

I would go with duel lever but single lever can work.

Re: Merc Controls help 9 years 1 month ago #113975

As I remember, I think that the single lever control box for the 20 is unique. The cables move in opposite directions from the regular box. If I'm wrong, someone else will correct me.

Re: Merc Controls help 9 years 1 month ago #113978

some do and some don't depends on the year. flipping the cam over can correct that if you want to get into it. I am pretty sure.

Re: Merc Controls help 9 years 1 month ago #113982

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I had heard the same thing from a friend. He tried to use the 20 box on an 850 and it was backwards and he had to switch out the cam. What I'm trying to figure out is what merc box can I use provided I can come up with the correct cam? Or, is there a way to use the merc cables in an old 2 lever evinrude controller I have? I have never had an older Merc before and looking on ebay I see a lot of different merc controllers. I'm just trying to figure what merc model box I should be looking at.

Re: Merc Controls help 9 years 1 month ago #113984

The early FGS models used a two lever box. My 58E has one of the last ones. But they are not near as common as the single lever. They said either Kaminic or Quicksilver on them. If it's as easy as flipping the cam, that might be the route to go as the single lever boxes are much more common.

Re: Merc Controls help 9 years 1 month ago #114003

There is a dedicated box for these engines, with unique cams and levers inside. I have one but not sure what the part number is. They have a unique Mercontrol decal on then to tell them apart from the standard box, I will check it out for you and post a picture. Possibly you may be able to adapt a Morse aftermarket box, some can be rigged to work either way. They are a little rare for the Mercury ones these days, but they are out there.

Re:Merc Controls help 9 years 1 month ago #114040

• 75GT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
That would be great if you could post a pic. I go to a lot of antique outboard motor club meets and it would be great to see exactly what I'm looking for.

Re:Merc Controls help 9 years 1 month ago #114092

OK, i will dig them out and take a few pictures for you.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online