• Page:

TOPIC: '64 Merc 650 End Cap

'64 Merc 650 End Cap 9 years 2 months ago #112233

• Jay
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
I'm attempting to replace the seals on the lower end cap of my Merc 650. Not having the proper bearing puller, I purchased a new end cap with the seals already installed, and a new bearing. When I went to press the new bearing in, it just slipped in, no pressing needed. Has anyone seen this? It seems to fit OK, but no interference fit.Is this OK? Should I use loctite? Thanks in advance for any & all input! Jay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: '64 Merc 650 End Cap 9 years 2 months ago #112234

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Yeah, it's not supposed to be a slip fit on those. Later models have the bearing pressed onto the crank and a slip fit in the end cap, but not your '64.

Check the i.d. of the end cap for wear. Unless you replace it, I'd be inclined to use some Loctite bearing & stud mount or something similar to keep the bearing from spinning in the cap and making it worse.

Last thought, very unlikely, but you may have gotten an off-tolerance bearing. Probably a good idea to take some measurements and see if there's anything screwy going on with that. You should be able to find the measurements for a "206" or "6206" bearing on the internet.

HTH.........ed

p.s. if the motor has ever been apart before, it's also possible someone installed a later-style, slip-fit end cap.

Re: '64 Merc 650 End Cap 9 years 2 months ago #112240

• Jay
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Ed,

Thanks very much for this info. It's a new end cap assembly and a new bearing, so I think you might be right about the bearing tolerances. I'm inclined to go back with the original end cap assembly and replace the seals after the season's over.

Yes this helps. Jay

Re: '64 Merc 650 End Cap 9 years 2 months ago #112245

could be the latter end cap. wrong for your motor. I would just use yours heat and tap will remove the bearing.

Re: '64 Merc 650 End Cap 9 years 2 months ago #112264

• Jay
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Dave,

Thanks, I didn't consider just heating it and tapping the bearing out. The Merc factory manual shows a special puller that led me to believe it's a very tight fit.

Appreciate the advice!

Jay

Forums

Gallery

Members

Tools

Marketplace

Register

Re: '64 Merc 650 End Cap 9 years 2 months ago #112268

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Yes, it is a tight fit, but aluminum expands a lot faster than steel, so if you're fast you can heat the end cap and then rap the bearing out from the other end.

Same way going back together, except this time freeze the bearing and heat the end cap. You can't heat the heck out of it, though, 'cause that would ruin the nice, new seals you just installed!

But heat it up a fair amount, and with a lightly-oiled O.D., the cold bearing should drop right in. You've only got one chance for this, if the bearing cocks or doesn't go all the way in, you'll have to press it home. The outer race of an old bearing (with the inner race busted out) makes an excellent pressing tool.

Under no circumstances press on the inner race of the new bearing, it'll ruin it.

HTH & G'luck with the reassembly.......ed

Re: '64 Merc 650 End Cap 9 years 2 months ago #112325

• Jay
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Ed,

Thanks for the detailed procedure. I really like these old mercs; it great to have some guidance.

Jay

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.505 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online