Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1967 Mercury 950 SS Fuel Hoses

1967 Mercury 950 SS Fuel Hoses 9 years 3 months ago #111835

Good day! I just picked up a 1967 Merc 950 SS and am in the process of going through it. I am replacing all of the fuel lines inside the cowl. I ordered all six from Oldmercs, but three of them were wrong. The hoses between the three carbs connecting them were far too short. The official spec in the books says they are 6-inches, and the new ones were. Does that take into consideration the threaded connectors as well? With my connectors they are 7-1/2 inches each (the old ones). Am I missing something?

Have any of you ever built your own fuel lines inside the cowl, or are the factory type better? At this point, I would rather just head to the auto parts store, get a few barbed fittings and hose clamps, and build my own. Pros and cons to doing that?

The motor is on a 1967 Mark Twain V16. Original Alloy trailer and motor. Fresh water Ohio boat, so it is in great shape.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1967 Mercury 950 SS Fuel Hoses 9 years 3 months ago #111837

I make my own. barbed fittings and new hose and clamps.

Re: 1967 Mercury 950 SS Fuel Hoses 9 years 3 months ago #111847

I'm with Dave on this one (and many, many, others)
I use barb fittings and special fuel hose zip ties.
Just ask for fuel hose zip ties at any OMC or Merc dealerships,....OR if needed I'll track down the part number(s).
As Dave suggested,...Stainless hose clamps work great too.
doc

Re: 1967 Mercury 950 SS Fuel Hoses 9 years 3 months ago #111867

Thanks! I'll just make my own then. Too spendy to keep buying the "correct" ones.

Re:1967 Mercury 950 SS Fuel Hoses 9 years 3 months ago #111886

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Agree with the wizards here, but maybe you don't need even the barbs, just new hoses! Heres pix..slice'em off.
Attachments:

Re:1967 Mercury 950 SS Fuel Hoses 9 years 3 months ago #111964

i used clear plastic fuel hose from motion pro on my 950SS and barbed fittings. some fuel hoses may still be available and used those too. the clear hose may not be coast guard approved but it's quality hose from MOTION PRO. you get to watch that big beast burn away the fuel

Re:1967 Mercury 950 SS Fuel Hoses 9 years 2 months ago #112340

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I go with reusing the barbs by cutting off old hose and use docs trick with zip tie hose clamps but I just use regular oil' black zip ties.
By the way that boat is really cool! One of the 6's I run is a 66 950 and boy are they smooth, mine is on a 65 MFG Erie.
Randy

Re:1967 Mercury 950 SS Fuel Hoses 9 years 2 months ago #112609

Thanks for all the input! I am just going to build my own. Was trying to keep things original, but then thought, why? It already has the CDI upgraded ignition and a few other tweaks.

I am rebuilding the carbs, putting anew dist shaft w/ rotor, timing belt and the hoses this week. Will see how it goes.

Rebuilt the fuel pumps last week. On the upper one, the diaphragm material was bent over and not sealed correctly when it was last installed. Not sure how it was running like that. The upper fuel pump was essentially doing nothing at all. Hmm...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.591 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online