Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1978 V1500 black max "project."

1978 V1500 black max "project." 9 years 3 months ago #111699

Hello, I'm a new member. My wife and I have been looking for a "project" boat for a while now, and 2 weeks ago I finally grabbed one. The short and sweet of it;
1978 Fiberform 18' runabout, Galvanized Calkins trailer, a '78 Merc V1500, and a 78 Merc 75 tiller, titles for boat and trailer, original receipts, The little 30-40 page user manuals for both engines, a quicksilver accessory brochure from '78, a whole mess of boat accessories. And, it was all within 10 miles of our house. I'll get some pucs up in a different thread, as my pressing concern is getting into the engine and seeing if it's a viable runner, or a paperweight.

Oh, last time the trailer was registered was 1994, and I'm assuming same for boat, It was not stored inside, but it was stored with the bow really high, and with the factory camping style top on it until that gave out.

So far I have been able to get the steering loosened up, checked the lower unit oil (still has some, and is not milky), done a bunch of cleaning, bought a new battery (attempts to charge either one it came with were futile), bought new spark plugs and various quicksilver lubes.

trim/tilt seems to be frozen. There is nothing registering on the fill screw/dip stick, I read about the knob that one turns full counter clockwise to allow manual lowering, tried that with no success. I also tried using a little funnel to fill the reservoir, but fluid kept bubbling back out. (poor technique/ need a little fill straw I think?)
After sitting so long, could all the fluid have settled at the rams?
When I hooked up the battery, the hydraulic pump motor did cycle, but I only let it go for a second as I knew the reservoir was empty. Do i need to just try and cycle it a few time and see if things start moving? I want to avoid any unnecessary damage, but with the motor in full up position, I am stuck, and can't even get the cowling off to begin further inspections, or disconnect fuel line.
Sorry for the long rambling first post:) I have a bunch of other questions, but I will do my best to get them into the appropriate category.
I have a factory service manual on its way to me as well, I got a Seloc manual with the boat, but i've already found discrepancies.
Any advice/guidance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1978 V1500 black max "project." 9 years 3 months ago #111708

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
First, don't try to start the motor until you replace the water pump impeller. It's likely taken a "set" by now, and may also be brittle. I found a small, half size "turkey baster" at a dollar store that would be the perfect size to add fluid to your trim/tilt. Might be worth a look if you have a dollar store nearby. I keep two in the garage and they come in handy.

Re: 1978 V1500 black max "project." 9 years 3 months ago #111729

soggycarpenter,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1978 V1500 black max "project." 9 years 3 months ago #111750

hey, Thanks for the replies guys. I've read as much as I could find online regarding starting a motor that's been hibernating.
I have quite the laundry list going already for parts that I'll replace before I try and start the motor.
Man, good call on the small baster, It would have saved me a few dollars. I ended up finding a quart/gallon oil bottle pump at an auto parts store. Think over grown hand soap pump with a length of tubing attached.

I'm pretty handy, but not a died in the wool gearhead, are there any outboard specific tools that I will need?
Also in my internet searching, it seems that my engine is covered in 3 different Mercury factory service manuals. Does that seem about par for the course?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online