Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Dorsett w/ Mark 58a - My First Boat and Post

1959 Dorsett w/ Mark 58a - My First Boat and Post 9 years 3 months ago #111015

Hello,

My name is Adam and I live just north of Sacramento. I know nothing about boats but am eager to learn. I picked up my first boat on Sunday and am hoping I got a good deal. I know that I have a 1959 Dorsett and believe it to be an El Dorado from my research but am hoping someone can help me confirm? I found the 1959 brochure but it appears there are a couple other 15' models.

I believe the motor is a 1959 Mark 58a.

I took the boat out on Sunday afternoon. I had a hard time starting up the motor despite it firing right up for the owner during our test ride. Ultimately I ran down the battery but it pulled started fine. It would idle really low and after an hour or so on the water would die if idled too low or between shifting. I've called everywhere in Sacramento in an attempt to find someone that understands and can inspect and/or work on these engines - but even the folks I've been referred to tell me they are no longer confident working on this engine.

A couple of questions I am hoping someone can help me out with.
1. Any recommendations on a service in Northern California?
2. If I take it out again do I risk doing any damage to the motor before it's serviced? (I am mixing two stroke/gas correctly)
3. I have found a Mark 55 and Mark 75 on CL and am wondering if it's worth picking one of these up for parts or possibly a future upgrade to the 75? Not sure if it's compatible. Would it be worth having for $250 depending on the condition? Is that a good price?

Anyway, thanks so much in advance for any information or advice on this boat. This newbie can certainly use all I can get. Cheers.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1959 Dorsett w/ Mark 58a - My First Boat and Post 9 years 3 months ago #111021

Welcome, there is the Golden State Glassics group and the Antique Outboard Motor Club Nor-Cal chapter in California that may be of help locally.

Re:1959 Dorsett w/ Mark 58a - My First Boat and Post 9 years 3 months ago #111041

Welcome Adam! and nice boat.

I don't think you will do any damage to your motor if you take it out again, but it probably would be a good idea to just check some things over before you run it a ton.

Things like Water pump impeller, and gear oil are just a couple things i would check before running too much.

You can probably find a manual fairly easily for that motor on Ebay, and with some guidance you can probably perform pretty much all the maintenance items yourself.

As far as the mark 75 goes, they are great motors, but are finicky. I have one that i am still learning on, but love it :) One good looking motor!

One major thing to consider with the mark 75 is the fact that it has no true reverse. The engine actually stops and you have to manually start it in reverse in order to make your boat reverse. Not a big deal if they are in tune and you use common sense, but don't expect to use it week after week with no maintenance or slight tuning once in a while.

hope this helps!

Scott

Re: 1959 Dorsett w/ Mark 58a - My First Boat and Post 9 years 3 months ago #111042

• Larry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Adam,
Looks like a really nice Mark 58A. Sounds like a fuel issue that your dealing with.
Andy's suggestion of posting on Golden State Glassics is a good one. There are 6-8 members there that are from the Sacramento area and maybe one can help you out locally.
I'm several hundred miles South of you and have restored several Mark 58's. I would be happy to answer some of your questions.

Larry
Vintage Boatworks
Bakersfield, California
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Dorsett w/ Mark 58a - My First Boat and Post 9 years 3 months ago #111053

Thank you all so much. I am waiting on Admin to join Golden State - looks like a really fun group of peope. - Appreciate being pointed there and all the advice.

I was able to find a hard copy of a Mercury 1965 & Prior service manual on ebay yesterday and ordered for $25. I plan on doing a water pump overhaul and checking out the lower unit. I'll look into fuel system as well. I can smell gasoline a little more than I'd like too - I don't see any leaks but haven't taken the cover off the engine yet either (busy with work and a 1 & 2 year old yikes).

Are parts on the Mark 55 and 75 compatible with the 58a? I am no mechanic but have my pops and good Chevy buddy. Unfortunately no one with boat motor experience.

Larry - that's some fine looking work! I am certain I'll be posting again once I get into it for a bit more guidance. Thank you guys - this is brand new to me and the help means a lot. Cheers.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online