Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1968 Mercury 500 - stuck in forward

1968 Mercury 500 - stuck in forward 9 years 4 months ago #110392

Hi, I'm new to this forum and need some help/advice. I have a 1968 Mercury 500 50hp Thunderbolt ignition outboard. We just replaced the water pump/impeller and it starts right up and runs well, water pump works but I think the gears are messed up. When the lower end is off and I try to shift the gears into FNR it doesn't feel like it's really catching. I can get it in neutral if I hold it in place but once you let go of the rod it pops back into forward. This is my first outboard, so I'm not that familiar with this stuff. I have a manual and have watched countless youtube videos. Is there someone in the Seattle area that works on these older mercs?
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1968 Mercury 500 - stuck in forward 9 years 4 months ago #110400

You may be very lucky and be in Dr Frankenmerc's neighborhood. I have always put the motor in forward before removing the lower unit. What keeps the l/u in a gear and gives you the feel of it changing from one gear to the next is actually at the base of the powerhead, visible if you look below the carbs from the front. If you follow the linkage from where the cables from the controls hook on the motor you will see it.
Good luck,
Bill

Re: 1968 Mercury 500 - stuck in forward 9 years 4 months ago #110401

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
You might need to go see my good buddy Thom (aka "Dr_Frankenmerc") in Shelton. He can fix that issue no problem! Just search for his user name and send him a private message. If you poke around the Mercury Outpost forum you'll likely see his moniker on a posting (that's what I did to find him fast).

Note that you could always try shifting to Reverse and installing that way. Just don't turn the shift shaft any farther than Reverse, it'll jump off the cam and then you'll be really confused! Be sure your remote control is in Reverse as well.

BTW, the correct position for installing the L/U in Fwd gear is for the shift shaft to be turned as far CCW as possible before shifting into Neutral, but still in Fwd. There is about 270 deg of free play of the shift shaft when in Fwd but there is only one correct position to make it work! If you place the shaft right there, you can have the remote in Fwd and install that way.

If all else fails, call Doc Frankenmerc!

HTH...........ed

Re:1968 Mercury 500 - stuck in forward 9 years 4 months ago #110405

Thanks! I tried all the different ways to try and fix it but no joy. I will contact Doc Frankenmerc, Shelton is close enough if he can fix it.

Re:1968 Mercury 500 - stuck in forward 9 years 4 months ago #110415

I was having a similar issue a couple months ago on mine. Turns out, the lower is just too heavy to do bit all by yourself. I set in FWD like Ed mentioned, then put the remote in forward. Not just a little in forward, put it to the wall. I then used a ratchet strap to take the weight while I carefully aligned all the parts together. Slid right up and works great.
First time or 2 are tough. After that, it's a quick job.

Will

Re:1968 Mercury 500 - stuck in forward 9 years 4 months ago #110427

It is heavy, the rachet strap is a great idea. I used my husband to hold up the lower unit while I lined everything up. We could get it to slide on no problem, but the shifting was always wrong. It doesn't feel right when you turn the spline on the lower end, so I'm going to drive it down to the Dr. and have him check it out. Thanks so much for all the replies to my call for help. :)

Re:1968 Mercury 500 - stuck in forward 9 years 4 months ago #110459

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
I put a HYD jack under the skeg when lining everything up. Much easier on my old bones!

Re:1968 Mercury 500 - stuck in forward 9 years 4 months ago #110549

Spent the day with Thom aka Dr Frankenmerc. Learned a lot about my monster of an outboard (lots of PO weirdness, wiring issues and missing parts) and went home with a working outboard I am confident in using. Thanks Doc! Turns out the shift rod needed a new seal, got the carbs cleaned, fixed the auto choke and several other little things that needed fixing. What a great guy, I had fun working with him.

Re:1968 Mercury 500 - stuck in forward 9 years 4 months ago #110553

Good to hear that you're all sorted out! The weather is nice, so get that motor in the water and show us a pic on the lake!

Will

Re:1968 Mercury 500 - stuck in forward 9 years 4 months ago #110557

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Congrats, you are now amongst the fortunate few who have made the pilgrimage to Doc FrankenMerc's Inner Sanctum!

Aka the Mercury Mausoleum of the Pacific Northwest!! ;)

Re:1968 Mercury 500 - stuck in forward 9 years 4 months ago #110669

I wish I wasn't 1500 miles away on Wisconsin's west coast!! It would be nice to make the pilgrimage to the great Northwest.
Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online