TOPIC: Merc 1000 twins hiccups on shakedown cruse

Merc 1000 twins hiccups on shakedown cruse 9 years 4 months ago #110299

• dlatshaw
  • dlatshaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Here they are running:

If you pay attention when it shows my shoe you can hear them over the wind.

Today had them out and the Port twin after running fine for a while would only click when you turn the key. I think it's the solenoid because after i got her home i bypassed the solenoid while my wife turned the key and she started right up. So is the solenoid bad?

I think it would be part number 32082, but is there a replacement part number? Only see that on ebay.

The Starboard twin turned itself into a dock-buster. She's stuck in forward. Checked the linkage and it seems to shift OK at the top. Didn't drop the LU yet to check the shifter down there. Thoughts?

Cheers!

dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re: Merc 1000 twins hiccups on shakedown cruse 9 years 4 months ago #110300

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
They sound good running! A bit rough out, though, hard to open 'em up.

The solenoid is NLA so your sources would be anyone with old stock, or a used one.

This one on eBay is NOS and would match what's in there now:

Very likely the switch contacts are burnt and not making connection, thus the clicking but no starter action. You might try taking the cover off the solenoid to access the contacts for cleaning. Sand 'em to clean metal and burnish with crocus cloth or fine-grit wet-n-dry.

The cover is held on with rivets so you'd have to drill them out. Then devise a good way of securing the cover afterwards. Probably a good idea to seal with RTV, besides fasteners, to prevent fuel vapors from getting into an area with arcs.

On the lower unit, if everything is working topside, sounds like you'll have to pull the L/U so you can manipulate the shift shaft and see what's going on.

Cheers and G'luck with the repairs..........ed

Re: Merc 1000 twins hiccups on shakedown cruse 9 years 4 months ago #110301

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks ed. They are idling rough. after Tim rebuilt them he said i should run 25:1 for the first 6 hours. Once they break in i'll adjust the idle and they should smooth out.

Saw that one ebay. The seller is only 2 hours away from me. Think i'll order that, and try rebuilding mine until it gets here. Can't hurt to have spares.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re: Merc 1000 twins hiccups on shakedown cruse 9 years 4 months ago #110693

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I ordered that solenoid from ebay. not in a box, but doesn't look like it's been used. Tested OK.

After leaving this forum the other day i went out and rebuilt the original. Drilled out the 4 rivets holding the bottom in place. Took it apart and the coper contact washer was pure black. Cleaned it, the other contacts, and removed what was left of the seal. Sealed it back together with RTV and put in some new rivets.

Think i'll do that to the other one too. Seems like the original gasket seal on the inside was causing the problem. Might actual take apart the NOS one i bought and rebuild it too.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024