• Page:

TOPIC: Need Control Box guidance for '63 Merc 1000

Need Control Box guidance for '63 Merc 1000 9 years 5 months ago #108498

• headley
  • headley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I had the pleasure of meeting Neil Ousnamer when I picked up 2 Merc 1000's at his place in Ferdinand Idaho. It was an 8 hour round trip from my cabin in Pend Oreille County but well worth it. It was a treat meeting him and seeing his crazy big collection of marine related stuff. May beautiful Merc motors, cool boats and a bar from the prow of an old Tolly.
Neither of us were sure what Control Box goes with these motors, could somebody educate me? Oh, and do you have a set for sale, tee hee?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Need Control Box guidance for '63 Merc 1000 9 years 5 months ago #108500

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
The box is the easy part! Pretty much any control box, from the 60's-up can be made to work. Later model control cables don't have the spring-loaded twist-lock end piece but you can get those separately.

The big issue is the control harness, did you get one of those with teh motors? The plugin pattern is different, opposite of the "standard" (i.e. later model) Merc external harness plug pattern.

If you don't have a harness, and can't find one, the other option would be to find a later-model internal wiring harness and rewire the motor. Then you can plug-in a modern harness. CDI electronics makes a replacement harness but it ain't cheap (well over $100), or sometimes you can find a good used one on eBay.

If you decide to go that route, we can help you rewire the motor. Note that even an ADI control box will work, you'd just have to splice the old external wiring harness to the ADI box's cable.

Check out the pics below, you can see the difference in pin-outs for the control harness plugs. The '65 90hp plug is the same as your '63 Phantom Black Towers of Power.

HTH........ed
Attachments:

Re: Need Control Box guidance for '63 Merc 1000 9 years 5 months ago #108502

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Found a control box with cables & harness for your motor, ain't cheap though at $200!

Here's another, more retro, even more $$$!!

Re: Need Control Box guidance for '63 Merc 1000 9 years 5 months ago #108517

• headley
  • headley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Ed, what a great education. I also appreciate the research on the control box. It is nice to have ebay as a resource.
I did get a control box with the motors, just not sure that it was period, right for the motor. See photo. This is similar to the ones for my '58 and '59 4 cyl. Mercs. It is a little larger and has a longer arm. It also has the right cobra head and plug pattern so I assume it will work.
Thanks for your help Ed.
Thom
Attachments:

Re: Need Control Box guidance for '63 Merc 1000 9 years 5 months ago #108526

That looks the same as the one I have for my '63 850 so it should work just fine. In fact, when I bought my '77 1150 I just changed the plug on the motor side and wired it up and took off the knurled pins on the end of the control cables and it works great.
Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online